2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2007 8:41 AM by CPedrick

passing variable to dynamic text box in movie clip

CPedrick Level 1
      I am trying to load a variable into a dynamic text box in a movie clip. I can load it just fine into a dynamic text box on the root timeline, but can't seem to get it to pick up in a dynamic text box in a movie clip. I am assuming it is a syntax issue.

Here's what I've got:

//************************************************
      //load text box on root timeline
      txtTrip.text = this.varTrip;

//load text box in movie clip
      mcResults.txtTest.text = this.varTrip;
      //********************************************************

txtTrip (on the root timeline) correctly displays the information in the variable.
      txtTest (on the main timeline of the movie clip "mcResults" does not display anything.

I've also tried following with no success:

mcResults.txtTest.text = _root.varTrip;
      _root.mcResults.txtTest.text = _root.varTrip;

Both the text box on the root timeline and the one in the mcResults movie clip are the same "plain vanilla" dynamic text boxes with default settings. I've checked text box names and they are spelled correctly in the code and in the instance name.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.
      TIA,
      Carolyn
        • 1. Re: passing variable to dynamic text box in movie clip
          BSpero Level 1
          Do you have any masking going on over that movie clip? You may have to make sure you have the fonts embedded.
          • 2. Re: passing variable to dynamic text box in movie clip
            CPedrick Level 1
            That's a good thought. I did have a mask over the movie clip.
            I went and embedded the fonts and now have a really weird issue - which appears whether or not the movie clip is masked. As long as the dynamic text box is the only thing in the movie clip, the imported data displays just fine.

If I have a static text box (to provide a label) next to the dynamic text box (either on the same layer or on another layer) in the movie clip, only the static text shows. The dynamic text box does not display the imported value.

Any ideas why having something else in the movie clip might have this effect?

Thanks!
            Carolyn