14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 8:06 AM by A.T. Romano

an unknown error occurred

PCNoviceMesa Level 1

I have just begun to learn PE12. I spent about 1 hour downlolading files, then made a few practice simple transitions and text ,then closed up and it saved the file automatically. Now when I try to re-open, it says "an unknown error has occurred" and it won't open the existing project. this is really frustrating as I sent CyberLinkPower Director 12 back because of its constant stalls and crashing. I thought Adobe PE12 would be better but this is looking like it is just the same. What do I do to open existing project? What is the unknown error?

thanks...

• 1. Re: an unknown error occurred
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

First question...what were the properties of the files that you imported into this project? And, what did you or the project set as the project preset for this project? What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 on?

Have you gone through the drill of

a. do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

b. are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges?

c. is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

If you open a new project and start again, do you have the same problem, same error message?

Where are your Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is there at that location?

Let us consider the above and then move forward based on your details.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Are you moving or deleting any source media after you have saved closed the project?

• 2. Re: an unknown error occurred
            PCNoviceMesa Level 1

thanks for reply. The video files are AVCHD or MPEG clips. I don’t know what the project set or project preset is. I have HP windows 7, 2nd gen i7 dual core 2600 processor, 8GB of mem, 1 TB of hard drive, and Radeon HD 6570 graphics with 1GB of VRAM.

yes to all the drill questions. I am now working on a new project  and have not saved it yet. When I do I will try to re-open. I don’t know what a scratch disk is. I have 6.65 GB of space left.

thanks again for your quick reply. Much better than CyberLink PD12.

rom: A.T. Romano

Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 1:36 PM

To: PCNoviceMesa

Subject: an unknown error occurred

Re: an unknown error occurred

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

• 3. Re: an unknown error occurred
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I don’t know what a scratch disk is. I have 6.65 GB of space left.

The PrE Scratch Disks are the location of the necessary working files.

Is that "6.65GB" of free-space a typo? The reason that I ask is that the recommended minimum is ~ 20GB, and many feel that ~ 50GB, defragmented, free-space is more realistic.

If that is not a typo, can you free up more space on your C:\?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: an unknown error occurred
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>don’t know what the project set or project preset is

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 5. Re: an unknown error occurred
                  PCNoviceMesa Level 1

OK- just posted a reply at forum before receipt of your email. Yes a typo... I have 708GB of free space at C drive. are the scratch disks somewhere else?

thanks...

• 6. Re: an unknown error occurred
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Let us zero in for the moment of Scratch Files. If you open Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace and go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, you will find several categories. It will look like the following:

ScratchDisks.JPG

The two major considerations are where on the hard drive those entries are directed to and how much free space is at that location. Under the Browse button is the free space at the save location for a given category. Are all your Scratch Disks directed to a C drive location? And, is the free space shown to be 708 GB? You should develop a maintenance program, especially Video Previews files and Media Cache (Conformed Audio) files that have a tendency to pile ups which can affect program perfomance. Also, check out Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database Clean button to work on the pile ups of conformed video files.

Next, the program is set up to set the project preset for you automatically based on the properties of the first video that you drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does that OK, sometimes not. When not, then you set the project preset manually before you import the video into the project. To do that

a. You need to know the properties of your source...video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio.

b. File Menu/New/Project to set a project preset that matches the properties of the video. Put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project".

c. Import your media into the project Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets --to--Timeline.

Please let us know if you are on course for the above and/or you need any help with settings.

We are looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: an unknown error occurred
                      PCNoviceMesa Level 1

thanks for quick reply 1) I went to scratchdisks and all is well. 709GB of space and I saw the clean button. I see choice to clean at 30 day interval but will just do it more frequently myself. thanks for pointing this out. 2) I am not sure of video compression, ....pixel aspect ratio ,etc. but my files are downloading properly now. Also I did retrieve my last production so I guess it is working. Maybe my first attempt to save/ retrieve I hit a wrong key or something. 3) I put a check at Force Selected  Project....4) Importing and insert to timeline has been fine. No stalls or crashes yet with PrE12 which is huge improvement from CyberLink Power Director 12. Hope I have not spoken too soon.

thanks again for your help...

• 8. Re: an unknown error occurred
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNovideMesa

Sounding like excellent progress. Good job.

As for the periodic crashes of Premiere Elements 12, if you are not already, try to keep track of the details when that happens....what you are doing in the program, how large the project is at that point, properties of the particular files that you are putting on the Timeline, etc.

It may sound untechnical, but I have been running into glitches that come and go independant of me trying to troubleshoot to the point of getting a "why". This has been particularly true for Premiere Elements 12 on Windows.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 9. Re: an unknown error occurred
                          PCNoviceMesa Level 1

I have forgotten where the video preview files are stored so that I can clean them up. thanks

• 10. Re: an unknown error occurred
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

The quickest way to get to conformed video files is by way of

Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache Database section where the Clean button is.

The actual path to those conformed video files (the place where you are wiping them out) is shown near

the Clean button. The path to them in Windows 7 64 bit is:

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Common Folder

ATR

• 11. Re: an unknown error occurred
                              PCNoviceMesa Level 1

thanks again. I used your instructions for animation of 1 or more lines and worked as described!!thanks...

• 12. Re: an unknown error occurred
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

Glad that worked for you.

There are lots that can be done with creating titles in the Titler.

With the basics behind you, you can use the various options to create basic to advanced titles to enhance

your video presentations.

Any problems with any of the details, please do not hesitate to ask about them.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: an unknown error occurred
                                  PCNoviceMesa Level 1

Well now the style button has quit working. I posted a note on the forum. this is really frustrating...

thanks...

• 14. Re: an unknown error occurred
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

PCNoviceMesa

There is a known problem with the Titler Styles in Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace.

You can switch to the Quick workspace to work with what you were doing with Titler Styles in Expert.

Then you can switch back to Expert after you finish the task in Quick.

Please give that a look and let us know if the works for you.

Thanks.

ATR