21 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 10:22 AM by Steve Grisetti

8-mm video editing

74TeJay

I have 200 50-ft. movies already stored on my HD.  I've viewed several video's supplied with PE -12 version and none of them really helped me with just the basic organization and beginning steps for tackling this very large editing job.  While I am a novice I am not new to computers.  I need some simple beginning step by step insturctions so I can correctly start this project.  The supplied video tutorials supplied with PE- V-12 are not very well laid out and have so far given me little to go with. 

Any assistance with this would be much appreciated. 

TeJay

• 1. Re: 8-mm video editing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you tell us what you're trying to accomplish, we can certainly help.

But first, be sure to give us the specs on your video files. You don't say how you got these files to your hard drive or what model of camcorder they came from, so open them in Media Info or G Spot and note the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs listed.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Then start with my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=30

I offer more advanced tutorials for the program on both Muvipix.com and a complete course on http://lynda.com.

And, if you want to know how to use every tool in the program, you can check out my books.

http://Muvipix.com/pe12.php

The answers are out there -- if you ask the questions!

• 2. Re: 8-mm video editing
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help, including a Bill Hunt article at the bottom of the page on how to organize a project

And, some other reading...

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all

• 3. Re: 8-mm video editing
              A.T. Romano Level 7

74TeJay

If your question basically involves the organization of a large project worked with in smaller segments, then perhaps my blog post on that type of subject may be helpful.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Please check it out and then let us know if it worked for you.

Additional details from you regarding your computer environment, source media, editing expectations, and export choice will be required for more specific help.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: 8-mm video editing
                74TeJay Level 1

Steve, A.T., & John,

I will have to do some studying but I'm sure these will be a big help.  The learning curve for an old (70) novice can be steep but one is never to old to learn.  I have all the families 8-mm video's and have to get them edited and back to all the family before I'm no longer around.  Some of these video's were when I was a small kid. 

Thanks again

TeJay

• 5. Re: 8-mm video editing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

74TeJay

Sounds like a great project.

Premiere Elements is a continuous learning process whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced user.

You have taken a wonderful family task that will be cherished and enjoyed by all. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: 8-mm video editing

It does sound like an exciting project -- but we still need to know more about the video specs of these video files in order to give you specific advice.

8mm is, after all, a film format -- and an analog video format. The conversion to digital media is a critical step in producing editable video.

• 7. Re: 8-mm video editing
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Some of these video's were when I was a small kid

I will be 67 next month, and I thought that video from when "we" were kids were "fast paintings" on dried tree bark that you fanned to simulate motion

Good luck with the project!

• 8. Re: 8-mm video editing
                        74TeJay Level 1

Steve,

Yes it is an exciting project.  Some of these video's were taken by my oldest sisters boyfriend.  They never became an item after HS but surprisengly he lives just a few miles from her in FL.  He's also still married but continues to keep in contact with her.  My Sister will turn 80 on Jan the first. 

I've had these reels for years and after I retired from teaching at the local HS I contacted our Graphics Arts teacher and we spent about three days projecting the video's and making video's with his very decent shop camera that he used in some video productions.  It wasn't top of the line but the video's came out at least as good as the original ones.  We were both surprised.  So that's how I got the oroginal 8-mm video's into a digital format and then onto a portable HD.  I think there's about 25 Gig of recordings.  I have no idea exactly how much that is but I think there were 10-12 large reels(maybe 6-10")  and probably 110 or so 50 foot reels. 

My Son-In-Law will be up the end of next week.  He's a computer guru and will be able to assist me with some of this as well. 

Again thanks for the info and I will keep in-touch and let you all know how the project is going. 

TeJay

• 9. Re: 8-mm video editing

TeJay, we're still going to need to know your video specs!

What model of camcorder did you use to shoot your video? What is the format and resolution of the video you shot, and how did you get it from your camcorder to your computer?

• 10. Re: 8-mm video editing
                            oldevhs Level 1

Based on the opening line in your original post ("I have 200 50-ft. movies already stored on my HD.  ...") 

I'm going to guess the video you now have stored on you HDD originally started as 8mm (home) movie film and thus did not come from any version of a camcorder.  In additon to the information previously requested, I don't see any indication (or question) regarding how you got this content onto your HDD. 

In other words, if indeed these were 8mm movie films how were they 'captured' to you computer (converted from analog film to digitized files).

Incidentally don't feel bashful, I am over 70, and have had close to 10,000 feet of 8mm and Super 8 film digitized so that I could edit and compile into various family archive videos --some that were my father's go back to the late 1930's B&W along with some early color film.  I've been able to get some excellent results after editing with PrE.

• 11. Re: 8-mm video editing
                              74TeJay Level 1

oldevhs,

I've already discussed how I got the original reels to a HD on the post above.  I don't know if when we videoed the projected 8-mm images to his decent quality video cam-corder the 8--mm images were digitized.  All I know is we videoed the projected 8-mm reels and put them directly to a HHD.  When we viewed them on the computer they were not noticeably changed.  We actually thought they were somewhat better and maybe they were digitized in the process.  He had never done any conversion of 8-mm movies to a HDD but I had the projector and we gave it a shot.  This guy does teach video processing, and editing in a class at the local high school.

I just got off the phone with my Son.  He has two degrees in computers, has worked with PE back a few years ago and will be here next week for the holidays.  He just told me that more than likely when we recorded my 8-mm movies in 2010 they were digitized by the camera that we used to record them. They were also directly placed onto the HDD.  I will do some checking and try to determine the format FPS etc.  I think this is going to come together finally. 

Thanks,

TeJay    

• 12. Re: 8-mm video editing
                                nealeh Level 5

Steve gave you a link to the GSpot utility in Reply #1. We really need to see a screen shot of one of the files on your hard disk opened in GSpot. The following is an example -  it tells us a lot about your video / audio and without it it's hard to give you precise advice.

1.jpg

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 13. Re: 8-mm video editing
                                  oldevhs Level 1

Since you seem to be happy with what you copied I won't belabor the point --just be aware that copying the films as you did will not compare to the quality of a properly digitized version where the original film is scanned frame-by-frame not a camcorder photocopy of a projected image.  I've been there, done that, and ultimately had the films properly scanned.  The differences in FPS will become noticeable in terms of 'flicker' and motion speeds of people/objects moving in the image.  Also, the optics used in old film cameras was far inferior to camcorders, so there is already a 'visual' acuity loss, compared t what one might expect;  the optics of an 8mm projector (and protected screen surface) don't begin to compare with the sharpness and brightness of a digitally scanned image.

Good luck.

• 14. Re: 8-mm video editing
                                    74TeJay Level 1

oldevhs,

I don't doubt your assessment of the situation and I do appreciate your comments.  Not having a background in this technology I realize there are probably better methods of doing this.  I did investigate some and since everybody seemed to charge by the foot and I know the quality of a lot of this video is suspect I didn't want to pay for footage that i was not ever going to use.  This is what we came up with and so far it's not bad.  If I were to have the original reels scanned what kind of $$$$$ are we talking about and will the expense be money well spent??  Will the images be that much better than what we can expect to get?? 

Thanks,

TeJay 

• 15. Re: 8-mm video editing
                                      oldevhs Level 1

Its been about 7 years since I had the film transfered but the cost as I remember was about $.07 or .08 cents per foot when I had the first batch done.  At the time they had an offer to transfer one 50 foot at no cost for evaluation.  I don't know if they still have that offer.  They also used to have special bulk transfer offers around this time of year.  The company I used was Home Movie Depot (homemoviedepot.com).  Contact them to see what they offer.

• 16. Re: 8-mm video editing

Or simply answer our questions and we can help you.

• 17. Re: 8-mm video editing
                                          74TeJay Level 1

Steve,

I have tried 4 times to download hotspot, open and answer your question but probably because of my lack of computer savey I have not been able to.  My Son-In-Law and Son (both are very knowledgeable in computers ) will be here by Saturday for the holidays.  I should have some answers by then.  I have not completely given up and after finishing a few more projects around the house I will try again.

A few of the posters are also at or close to my age.  Many find out when they reach this wonderful retirement age that industrious one actually have less time for getting things done than when they were working.  I have so many projects going on now I don't know if I'll ever get caught up.  That's good and I'm not complaining.

I am also watching editing video's on the net so I'm learning what my next steps will be as well. 

TeJay

• 18. Re: 8-mm video editing

Are you talking about the G Spot Codec Tool? You haven't been able to download it?

What about MediaInfo?

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut to this, TeJay. Without this basic information, we won't know what we're dealing with.

We NEED to know the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs of your video files.

Otherwise, it's like trying to work on an engine without knowing what model of car you're trying to fix!

• 19. Re: 8-mm video editing
                                              74TeJay Level 1

Steve,

Success finally.  Well the mediaarea.net I opened and draged  several video's from the HD onto the screen and this is what I got.  There is no audio on these.  Well you can hear the projector working but no voices so that's not a concern.  I'll erase the projector noise and add some music.   I draged several video's over and they all showed the same results.  Some of these video's were taken by sevral cmeras but I don't think the frame rates and stuff would change from camera to camera at least back then anyway.  Heck what do I know. 

5942 Kbps, 720 * 480 (4.3)  That might be resolution, at 29.970 FPS, MPG video NTSC, overall bitrate 6291 Kbps, MPG -PS  

Thnaks,

TeJay

• 20. Re: 8-mm video editing
                                                74TeJay Level 1

Steve,

Based on the information that either I did get to you or will when my support team arrives do you think there is reason to believe that this project can go forward with a reasonable amount of success??  Would it be necessary to have these films digitized by a professional to achieve better succes???  It would probably run around $400 - $600  From hat I have seen so far they look as good as they did when they were first seen years ago.  I don't see how profesionally digitizeing them would really improve that much.  I'm not doubting what oldevhs said but everybody has differences of opinion in what is good. 

Thanks,

TeJay

• 21. Re: 8-mm video editing

If those video specs are correct, those files should edit in Premiere Elements 12 with no problem.