5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2013 5:24 PM by A.T. Romano

Program won't open

Asil nosam

When I attempt to open Premiere Elements 12, I get and error message saying that there is an incompatible display driver and I should update it to get faster playack.  I went to update all driver's, and they were already updated.  Not sure where to go from here.

• 1. Re: Program won't open
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For display driver issues, this Tips & Tricks article should be of help: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4975137#4975137

It might also be good if you could list the following:

1. Your OS version
          2. Your display cards/chips, both make and model, i.e. something like nVidia GeForce 8000M GTX
          3. Whether you have dual video cards/chips
          4. Your display driver version and date, for the installed driver

Someone can then point you to the updated driver for your card/chip.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Program won't open
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Asil nosam

If you have already determined that your video card driver is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of your video card, then please delete the BadDrivers.txt file found in the following Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit path...

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements Folder

and in that Premiere Elements Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. It is that file there that you want to delete and not any folders that you may find in the Premiere Elements Folder. After you reopen Premiere Elements 12, a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated by the program.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

I have assumed that your Premiere Elements 12 is installed on some version of Windows, either 7, 8, or 8.1, 64 bit. If other, please let me know so that I can adjust the suggestion accordingly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Program won't open
              tiffanyjewel1982

I'm having this same issue and cannot contact Adobe. This was the only contact available (The forums).
              I had gotten the free trial last month, played around on it for just an hour or so on one day. I got the drivers error when I tried to log back in after I Purchased the full version a few days ago (Hoping I wouldn't have to re-install and could just add my code) and it it saysing my display drivers need to be updated so I re downloaded it and the issues still there. This computer is only a few months old and the files did work at one point.

I tried to delete the BadDrivers as suggested above however that didn't work for me either.

I'm using Windows 8. Replying to see what others suggest for you.

• 4. Re: Program won't open
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>I'm using Windows 8

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-In Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 5. Re: Program won't open
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

tiffanyjewel1982

What did you do....go the tryout route, purchase a serial number online from Adobe, and insert the purchased serial number in the tryout or was the scenario different?

When you did these downloads, did you do it with antivirus and firewalls turned off?

The files working at one time is the part that troubles me here.

This has all the sounds of a video card display issue, but.... Please gather the information that John T. Smith mentioned regarding the video card. But also, let us go through the drill of

1. Deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Remember Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives turned active so that you can see the path.

Also, after you get this message are you allowed by the program to move on in the program or does it stop you from working in the project?

If so, what are the properties of the source media that you have been bringing into the project? Does this display message appear every time or just periodically?

We will be watching for further details.

Thanks.

ATR