10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 7:43 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 12 on iMac

Marie-Pier123

Hi there,

I am having issues with getting my video to play in Premiere Elements 12. Files are AVI and MTS and I can load them in the software, I can edit them, cut them, put effects on, name it. It just WONT play when I hit the play button or the space bar. Anybody else had that problem ? Thank you for your time and help !

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Marie-Peir123

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

Specifically, what players do you have on your iMac?

Do you have your permissions set so that you are recognized as the Administrator of the user account that you are using?

ATR

Add On...

a. Are you trying to playback a rendered or unrendered Timeline (Is there an orange line over the content when you go for the playback in the Edit Mode monitor?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Premiere Elements FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
              Marie-Pier123 Level 1

I have a brand new iMac - I bought it yesterday - so yes, latest quicktime version on it. Quicktime is the player that plays the video when I watch them on the iMac. Everything works in Imovie too, just wont play in Adobe premiere.

How can I check if I am the administrator ? I went in the ID options and I cant see anything.

Yes, there is an orange line over the content I am trying to play.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Marie-Pieri23

Thanks for the reply.

If the correct project preset has been set, then you should not be seeing an orange line over the Expert workspace Timeline when you drag your source video there. Keep in mind that I am referring to an orange line that may be present above the Timeline. I am not referring to the orange line that runs horizontally across the middle of the video clip portion and the audio clip portion on the Timeline tracks...those are called rubberbands. The one for video is for Opacity. The one for audio is for Volume. More on that another time.

If the orange line is over the Timeline, the hit the Render button of the Timeline and observe the playback...same, better, worse?

Can you get together and post the properties of those AVI and MTS videos. The AVI and MTS are just file extensions. We need to look at video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio, etc. As much as you can find. Maybe we could gather that information from brand/model/settings of the camera(s) being used to record these videos.

As for permission on Mac...I am strictly an Elements Windows user and go on what I read for Mac considerations. The following article addresses User Accounts on Mac OS.

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/399

See if you can go that route and determine if the account that you are using shows that it has been set up for Administrator.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, can you confirm that your AVIs are DV-AVIs (captured over a FireWire connection from a miniDV camcorder)?

AVIs can use any of thousands of codecs, most of which are not editable.

Open your AVI in a program like MediaInfo (free) and see which audio and video codecs are listed.

Also, check in Premiere Elements, under the Edit menu, to see what the Project Settings are. If you haven't got your MTS video as the first clip on your timeline, the program may not have set your project up properly for 1920x1080 AVCHD video. And, until you do this at least once, the components necessary for working with this type of video won't yet be installed.

New computers are, believe it or not, a liability rather than an asset! There's so much that needs to be configured and updated.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
                    Marie-Pier123 Level 1

Ok, I understood the Admin thing wrong LOL - Yes I am connected through the Admin account on my imac.

I do see an orange line. Even after hitting Render button, line is now green but video still wont play.

Properties go as follows:

Type: Quicktime Sequence

11,6 Mo
                    640x424

Fréquence d'image: 24,00

Format Audio source: 11025 Hz - 16 bits - Mono

Format audio du projet: 11025 Hz - 32 bits

Sorry its in french

Comes from a Nikon D5000 Cam !

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
                      Marie-Pier123 Level 1

So what should I do in the Project Settings exactly ? Sorry - I'm really good with these things but been using this Elements for only a day or two and its not working so its kind of hard hahaha. Thank you. I'm using a AVI fipe that was recorded with a Nikon D5000 right now.

I downloaded Media Info and put my file in there here's what I see in the Codecs sections: Stream 0 says Codec: Mjpeg and Stream 01 says Codec: pcm_s16le

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Marie-Pier123

You present with a very atypical video from the point of view of Premiere Elements (any version) project preset.

I have just downloaded a sample of the video for the Nikon D5000

It uses MotionJPEG video compression and has an .avi file extension (wrapper format). MotionJPEG video compression can be a problem for some. It is a toss up between that video codec not being present versus it being present but not available to Premiere Elements.

The frame size is 640 x 424 (3:2), in a world where with video as 4:3 or 16:9.

The frame rate is 24 frames per second (presumed progressive).

In a few hours or less, I will report back with my observations on this video in Premiere Elements 12. I will be using the program on Windows, but the principles should be the same for the program on Mac in this regard.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
                          Marie-Pier123 Level 1

Thanks so much for your help. Looking forward to any type of solutions and thanky ou in advance for your time and effort in helping me !

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 12 on iMac
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Marie-Pier123

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. So, I am not sure what to expect of Mac for playing back .avi. Then, on the other hand, I am not sure if your issue goes to an atypical video format for Premiere Elements and a suitable project setting for it.

Many have a problem with MotionJPEG.avi in Premiere Elements. When that happens the typical fix is to download and install the Morgan MotionJPEG codec or use a utility that came with the camera to address the codec issue. You appear to have had no problems getting this video into Premiere Elements 12 on Mac. I am assuming that you have the QuickTime player installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12. Please check out the following to see if any of its content applies to your players on Mac.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4485999

I was able to import the Nikon D5000 MotionJPEG.avi sample into Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7 64 bit. No problems. The question became what project preset to use in view of the video properties

640 x 424 (3:2)

24 progressive frames per second

This was my decision...

a. set project preset manually to PAL DV Widescreen

b. import the video with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets

c. scale the video to fill (just fill) the space in the Edit Mode monitor

d. render the Timeline content which will surely have an orange line over it.

For export, some considerations might be:

Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, initially set preset = PAL DV 16:9

under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab

a. Video codec = H.264 (to give you a H.264.mov export)

Leave the "Limit data rate to.......kbps" unchecked on first try and then adjust accordingly for subsequent tries.

b. Video codec = MotionJPEG (to give you a MotionJPEG.mov)

Same comment about data rate (aka bitrate).

The H.264.mov @ 24 progressive frames per second would look like this for the 640 x 424 variety.

h264.JPG

The part about data rate (bitrate) is cut off at the bottom in this view.

I played back the H.264.mov and MotionJPEG.mov in QuickTime and they looked good. We can go into more details on that. I favor the H.264.mov. Do you have other requirements for the export?

Please review the above and then let us know if any of that addressed the issues presented.

Thank you.

ATR