14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 4:40 PM by A.T. Romano

BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!

chucktheweevil Level 1

I have a slide/show interlaced with some video clips.

I have Mac OS X 10.8.5

3.4 Ghz, 32 GB ram

Profject settings : HD1080i, 29.97 frames per second

Fileds, upper filed first

Capture Fomat HDV

Video Render : Maximum bit dpth and Oprimize stills checked

Image sizes in project: 3264 x 4928, Filke size 8.5mb

Movies are .mov, 720 x 480, 29.97 frame rate

Overall project is about 5 minutes long

I read through some posts, and just totally confused and bummed right now. My movie seems to play fine on the MAC until I burn it, with others, on a DVD. (I create seperate movies and then combine into a DVD with chapters). Each movie is about 1.2 gB , but when they are all added to one project and set to burn, it says it only needs 1.5GB of space (1/4 of whats expected)

Is ther anything I can do to not make my DVD look like a 5th grade project. My pictures alone are so crsip and beautiful, and just get trashed with the DVD creation.

Thanks so much!

Chuck

• 1. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

Are the movies 720 x 480 4:3 or 16:9? For now, I am assuming 4:3.

Open your Premiere Elements 12 Mac (assumed 64 bit OS) to the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset manually to NTSC DV Standard. Make sure you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

Import your videos and photos into the project, using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the media to the Timeline.

What are the pixel dimensions of those photos that are crisp and beautiful beforehand? And how many of them are there? Are they 4:3 or 16:9?

a. resize or crop/resize as indicated so that the pixel dimensions do not exceed 1000 x 750 pixels (landscape orientation) or 750 x 1000 pixels (portrait orientation).

or

b. import as is and then scale to fit the space in the Edit Mode monitor

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC Dolby DVD.

What does that look like? Let us use that as a baseline for any further suggestions.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 2. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
            nealeh Level 5

As your movies are 720x480 (DVD NTSC standard) I don't see why you are starting with an HDV1080i project setting. I suggest you start a new project with NTSC> DV (standard or widescreen depending on your source). Also resize your stills in a photo editing software before import to your project (1000x750 I think is the usual recommendation if you plan any Pan & Zoom, or actual frame size 720x480 if not). This is because photo editing software usually has much better resizing algorithms than PRE.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 3. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
              chucktheweevil Level 1

Thanks- I will try the NTSC - DV standard. Burning now.

Just so I understand- i have about 40 pictures in my movie, along with video. Does that mean every video i make I have to manually resize EVERY photograph? That seems overly complicated?

I wish my Mac had an .avi output setting. I did PE for years on Windows, made .avi's , joined them in DVD, and everythting looked great. Seems .mov doesnt mimic the quality.

Thanks

• 4. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                chucktheweevil Level 1

And yes, movies are 720 x 480

• 5. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Does that mean every video i make I have to manually resize EVERY photograph?

For fewer problems... yes

These may be mostly for Windows, but still worth reading

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 6. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Chuck,

If you have Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, or one of several other Image editing programs, you can batch Scale an entire folder of Images. This article goes into detail on how to do it in Ps: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2119226#2119226

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

I see you have gotten a lot of replies since I posted last.

Referencing back to your post 4 and continuing from there...

If your source photos are oversized for the project and are 4:3 and your output is going to be 16:9, then you would need to consider batch cropping and resizing to get the best look. But, if your oversized source is starting and ending with the same aspect ratio, you can just use batch resizing.

Batch resizing can be done with Photoshop Elements Full Editor, Process Multiple Files, or Photoshop. Objective keep the pixel dimensions not to exceed 1000 x 750 (landscape) and 750 x 1000 (portrait) but maintain the aspect ratio in whatever your final values are...example, 1000 x 750 (4:3).

Photoshop Elements does not do batch cropping. So, you might consider doing that with a free program such as IrfanView.

Let us see what this first pass run looks like for Premiere Elements Mac.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                        chucktheweevil Level 1

Thanks. I opened a new project which setting as suggested, but results were similar. It seems why workflow is always changing due to one obstacle or another.

So, now that I found wondershare to edit HD video (I have a song HD cam) , I guess my biggest concern is moving forward. So here is what I think I should do:

Import m2ts files

Crop m2ts files and save as m2ts (to keep high def?)

Choose photos I want

Copy photos to a folder to batch process (I guess one folder for lansdscape and one for portrait?)

Start a new project with 16:9 settings

Import cropped videos and resized photos

Compose movie, add transitions and effects

Now what would be my next step to DVD in highest quality.?

Thank you

• 9. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                          nealeh Level 5

chucktheweevil wrote:

Crop m2ts files and save as m2ts (to keep high def?)

That's your problem. You want to retain HD, but by definition DVD (your target output) is standard definition, 720x480 = 0.3MP, 1/6th the resolution of full HD.

If you really want HD then you need to be thinking AVCHD on DVD or Blu-ray (both of which need a blu-ray burner / player).

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 10. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

I just deleted what I had written previously in this particular space. I had a misread on what you did (SD) and what you plan to do (HD).

The suggested workflow is going to change in view of the different source, the .m2ts files. Are these 1920 x 1080 interlaced or progressive @ 29.97 frames per second?

If 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second, then the project preset should be set for

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

If 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second, then the project preset should be set for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

When you go to resize your photos, resize them to 1920 x 1080 16:9.

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. That is going to be 720 x 480 16:9.

or

Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc (DVD) with preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby (more later on that)

The typical outcome is AVCHD DVD cannot be played on DVD player, whereas the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc can.

However, a recent report by a Premiere Elements user with a $2000 Panasonic DVD Recorder/Player seems to suggest that at least she could playback AVCHD DVD on that player which is not a Blu-ray player. More on that another time.

More later.

ATR

• 11. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                              chucktheweevil Level 1

Hi A.T.

Really appreciate your input here, and finally feel I am making headway to a future (more knowledgable and better) workflow.

I now use Wondershare to crop and convert my m2ts files to 1920 x 1080 MP4 files(i cant tell if its P or I, but is H.264, and AAC) . I can now save all my videos as MP4 (is this adequate for HD, or should I use M4V or other?), as opposed to 720 x 480 .mov.  Wondershare is great in this respect as I work with Mac.

So, if i inderstand correctly:

1) Edit my clips to MP4 (1920 x 1080)

2) crop resize my photos to 1920 x 1080, 16:9

3) Populate my timeline with above

And to burn, I would assume:

1) if I used the AVCHD share, I could burn a DVD and play on a blu-ray at Hi-def,  or

2) burn using Widescreen Dolby, and sacrifice clarity at 720x480.

also, could I burn an AVCHD file and then use wondershare to convert it to any other format at a later time if needed.

Sorry for so many questions, but MANY thanks for the feedback.

Chuck

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

The MediaInfo video properties read out program can give you the information on interlaced or progressive, but we on guard for your download and installation choices to avoid bloatware.

If you have control of the file format, your export settings should tell you whether you are exporting interlaced or progressive footage. Sometimes it is called Scan type.

Good to start with project preset that matches the properties of the source.

If you take your Timeline to burn to AVCHD, either disc or folder, you can take the BDMV Folder that is part of the structure and

a. burn to DVD disc or Blu-ray disc with a 3rd party software such as ImgBurn

or

b. you could open the BDMV Folder (from end product disc or folder) to get to the STREAM Folder. Inside the STREAM Folder is the 00000.m2ts file which is your video file which can be imported into your Premiere Elements project as source media.

ATR

• 13. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                                  chucktheweevil Level 1

AT - thanks! Just o let you know, I alos used your tip in other thread, to resize images in another folder for my project, and that help resolve another problem I had - photos not orienting to portrait correctly when dragged to the timeline. By resizing them,  all photos now hit the timeline in correct orientation. An extra step, and obvioulsly a bug, but It helped and it worked! Thanks

• 14. Re: BLuuuury DVD. Bummed - would love help!
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

Thanks for the update. We liked the sound of "...and it worked!" Glad to learn that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements project. Good news, good job.

Best wishes

ATR