9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 2:07 PM by Kawika808

Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?

Kawika808 Level 1

I'm very new at burning DVD's so bear with me on this...

First: is MP4 a higher quality format than MP2?  In other words, does it use less compression and/or less lossy compression and/or more technically advanced compression?  The only thing I know is that it looks very good; not as good IQ as original AVCHD footage but I need something to burn to a standard DVD.

My experience to date:

MP4 (generated by PrE12 from a track made up of mostly AVCHD clips but a couple of others in the mix) was excellent quality.

This same MP4 burned to DVD via my HP laptop burner had the same excellent IQ, but it was jumpy (short stop-go) when played.

This same MP4 burned to DVD via PrE12 played smoothly, but the IQ wasn't as good.

This same MP4 burned to DVD via WinXDVD Author (free version) played smoothly AND retained good IQ.  The IQ wasn't quite as good as the original MP4 file, but that's not surprising because every save or conversion degrades somewhat.  Since this was an initial test and I didn't want to waste a lot of time, I used the 4x setting to burn; I presume that 2.4x (the other option on WinXDVD Author) will yield better IQ.

MP2 (generated by PrE12 from the same track made up of mostly AVCHD clips but a couple of others in the mix) played smoothly, but the IQ wasn't as good, especially in a slo-mo portion.

I often see posts saying that MP2 is the best format for burning to DVD, but from what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem to be the case.  Am I missing something?  Is the main benefit that it doesn't cause the jumpiness on DVD?

And finally, is there some other common format, available as an option on PrE12, that might give a better result in terms of both smooth play and high IQ?

• 1. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you mean DVD-Video?

If so, that will only work with MPEG-2 DVD. That is what PrE Transcodes to, and is the only format/CODEC allowed in a DVD-Video VOB file.

Now, with BD (Blu-ray disc), one can use MP4, or MPEG-2 HD, in the Transcode to disc.

Then, there an AVCHD disc, burned on a blank DVD. That is a bit different, and is unique, using MP4.

If you do not mean going to a DVD-Video, then I have missed the question, and if so, I apologize.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Actually MPEG2s (at 720x480) are much closer to your final file format than MP4s (which are highly compressed and are generally considered a delivery format rather than an editing format).

So if you're going to use your output video to create a DVD with an authoring program like WinXDVD, I'd very much recommend you use Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG with the DVD preset. There will be much less re-rendering and re-compression involved AND your transcoding to DVD should go much more quickly.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
              Kawika808 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks for your response.

I don't understand the question, "Do you mean DVD-Video?"

The MP4 was as follows:

Publish+Share > AVCHD “Use for exporting AVCHD”

Presets: MP4 – H264 1920x1080p 30

File Type: H264

Frame Size: 1920x1080

Frame Rate (fps): 29.97

Audio Setting: AAC, 160kps, 48kHz, Stereo

Advanced…

Output: NTSC, etc., etc.

The MP2 used the only type offered (as far as I could tell) by PrE12:

Publish+Share >MPEG “Use for playback on this computer or burning to DVD”

File Type: MPEG2-DVD

...etc.

Is there another option?

The two output files were then treated as described above.

The DVD disc burned by using the MP4 yielded cleaner-looking video when played.  Could this simply be a quirk of the burner in my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop?

• 4. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
                Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, Steve,

I'll test further.

• 5. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808,

While there are variations, one basically has but a few choices, when outputting to an optical disc:

1. DVD-Video, which is locked into a maximum resolution of 720 x 480, and can be either Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9, for NTSC. These can contain only MPG-2 DVD files, inside a VOB container.
                  2. AVCHD discs, which can be played on many BD (Blu-ray Disc) players. These will have a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080, and be burned to a DVD-5, or DVD-9. These will use the AVC HD version of the H.264 CODEC.
                  3. BD, which has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080, and can contain either MP-2HD, or MP4.

That was why I asked about the disc, that you wish to output.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
                    Kawika808 Level 1

Bill,

Thanks.

We seem to be talking about 2 different things.

I didn't choose burn to disc as an ouput/export from the PrE2 project.

I chose two different output file formats (MP4 and MP2).  I then viewed each on my computer.  The MP4 file was superior in terms of IQ.

I then burned each of these files to disc, creating a DVD in each case.  When viewed on my computer and on an HDTV (38in), the DVD burned with the MP4 file as input to the burner appeared superior in IQ to the DVD burned with the MP2 file as input to the burner.

I tried burning with the built-in burner on my laptop.

I also tried burning with WinXDVD Author (downloaded from the internet).

I was very please with the MP4 file produced by PrE12, and also with the MP4 file when burned to DVD via WinXDVD Author.  It played smoothly AND retained good IQ.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

BTW I am still curious: is MP4 a higher quality format than MP2?  In other words, does it use less compression and/or less lossy compression and/or more technically advanced compression (better algorithm)?

• 7. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This is where I think that I am becoming confused:

I then burned each of these files to disc, creating a DVD in each case.

Exactly what did you do, to "burn" those files to a DVD? Was the DVD a DVD-Data (just the media files), or a DVD-Video, with the VIDEO_TS folder, and then the BUP, IFO and VOB files?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808

There are several "flavors" of MPG-2, and there can be differences. With MP4, you should have the H.264 CODEC, which is newer, and allows for higher quality.

To confuse things a bit more, H.265 has been approved, but is not yet implemented, and it should be better still.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Best to use MP2 to DVD or MP4 to DVD?
                          Kawika808 Level 1

Media:

DVD+RW (Sony)

Process:

Laptop burner:

1. Insert disc into drive.

2. Open disc (R click, select Open)

3. Drag & drop video file to disc.

4. Click "Burn to disc."

WinXDV Author:

1. Open WinXDVD Author

2. Click Video DVD Author

3. Click [ + ]

4. Browse and click on video file

5. Choose settings (4:3, 16:9, etc.)

6. Click [ >> ] symbol

7. Click Start

Resulting DVD had AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files.

Both DVDs play on computer and on TV via *cheap, old* Toshiba VCR/DVD player.

Message was edited by: Kawika808 - added relevant details.

Message was edited by: Kawika808 - added detail