7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 12:36 PM by Trevor.Dennis

CS6 won't open files

GBW

My Photoshop won't allow me to open any files or start any new ones. I basically can't do anything. How do I fix this?

• 1. Re: CS6 won't open files
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

It sounds like it is frozen.  Try restarting your computer.  If that doesn't help, give us a lot more information...  Operating system, computer spec and a fuller description of what you have tried, and what seems to be happening.

• 2. Re: CS6 won't open files
            Curt Y Level 7

Reset preferences.  Start PS and immediately hold down ctrl/alt/shift keys (option/cmd/shift).  If fast enough you will get a reset window.

• 3. Re: CS6 won't open files
              GBW Level 1

Tried restarting. It opens fine... It just won't allow me to open any files so theres just the tools and black. I was doing a clean sweep on my computer a few weeks ago and maybe I deleted something important? I have a Dell inspiron 5220. It worked wonderfully so its not an issue with the computer.

• Intel 2nd gen Core i3-2370M 2.40GHz
              • 6 GB DIMM
              • 750 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
              • Intel HD Graphics 3000
              • i15R-1632sLV
              • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Need any more info? I didn't try much. Dont know what to do

• 4. Re: CS6 won't open files
                GBW Level 1

Anyone have any ideas?? Pretty please.

• 5. Re: CS6 won't open files

OK.  You mentioned not being able to open new files as well in your first post, and from your last post, it sounds like this is an old installation that used to work, but doesn't now.

Did you try resetting Preferences? That is an important first step because it so often fixed weired problems.

Are you able to deactivate it?  If so, I would be inclined to deactivate, and reinstall.  You'll find the installation file in your Adobe account.

Everything else on this computer works OK?  You are able to open and save files in other applications?

• 6. Re: CS6 won't open files
                    GBW Level 1

I went into my recycle bin and restored a few things and its working again! Thanks for all the help though

• 7. Re: CS6 won't open files

Many years ago, before we had windows, each DOS directory had two files, one named '.' and the other '..'  (dot and dot dot). A colleague with a tidy mind, nothing better to do, went through all the directories and deleted what he thought were these unnecessary files.  Unfortunately he didn’t think to test after deleting the files, or he would have found that the other files in those directories became inaccessible without the dot and dot dot files.

I did most of the department’s design work back then, and this was the system I used with Autocad 10, so I was not amused!