13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 2:01 PM by A.T. Romano

can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?

johnjv24 Level 1

Do I need a software converter to import MPEG-2 PS footage into PreE10?

• 1. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

johnjv24

What is the source and properties of your footage? Are you ripping VOBs from DVD or otherwise working with VOBs? What is the file extension? What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on?

Do you presently have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows or Mac or are you just thinking about it?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
            johnjv24 Level 1

No, I was researching some camcorders (Sony HXR-NX70U NXCAM) and one of them had the abilitiy to record in MPEG-2 PS format. So, I was wondering if PreE10 supported it.

Computer specs:

Windows 7 Professional

-Intel Core i7-3770

8GB DDR3 RAM

SanDisk 128 SSD

WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD

GTX 650 1GB

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Generally, it's a good idea to use professional software with professional camcorders.

But, that said, this cam's specs says it can shoot in AVCHD 1920x1080 60p as well as 60i. And as long as you shoot only in PS, FX and FH mode, you should be able to edit that video in Premiere Elements 12.

You may also be able to edit the MPEG standard def format. But you'll get the best results shooting in AVCHD.

• 4. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

johnjv24

MPEG2 PC is shown as same as DVD in product information. I assume that the file extension is .mpg. Not sure. The resolution is 720 x 480 60i (29.97 interlaced frames per second). I would not be expecting any incompatibility problems with Premiere Elements 10 or other.

But, this Sony camera is marketed as a professional HD camera and for those attributes, not SD to which the MPEG2 PC refers.

The alternative is the higher resolution with AVCHD compression and either a .mts or .m2ts file extension. The choices seem to run the full range 1920 x 1080 - 1280 x 720 - 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic. I would wonder here about the AVCHD 2.0 format in the specifications. Also, one of the choices is 1080p60. Premiere Elements 10 does not have a project preset for that as does later version. But, that by itself is not necessarily a deal breaker. How you intend to export the Timeline content with your video is another consideration.

Also, since you come with Premiere Elements 10 and a NVIDIA video card, I would advise you to check out the performance of your Premiere Elements 10 before you start evaluating any footage from any camera. There is currently an epidemic of display issues plus specific to Premiere Elements 10 users who are working from a computer with a NVIDIA video card. The fix for now for that is a roll back of the video card driver version rather than the classical "make sure you have the latest version of the video card driver installed".

ATR

• 5. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                  johnjv24 Level 1

I have tried the AVCHD on my PC with PreE10 and it is very sluggish. The video driver is up to date and Quicktime is up to date as well.  The Windows Aero was turned off and I put it on Windows 7 basic. The latter helped improve the sluggish timeline when I was editing DV-AVI and MPEG-2 footage but when I try to edit AVCHD it is very sluggish.  Should I get another graphics card?

Thank You A.T. Romano and Steve Grisetti for your help!

- Jonathan V.

• 6. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Pro uses the graphics card for hardware acceleration... Premiere Elements does not

• 7. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

johnjv24

You could look at rolling back the driver.

But, you might want to evaluate your Premiere Elements 10 and computer environment.

On what drive is Premiere Elements 10 installed and is the drive the Local Disc C?

Where do you have the Scratch Files directed and is there enough free space at the save location?

Have you a maintenance program for controlling pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files?

See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.

If at default locations...

Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder - for preview files

Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0

Media Cache Files Folder - for conformed audio files

Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Clean Button in the Media Cache Database area - conformed video files

(the actual path to the files is given in the area).

Thanks for the follow up. And, please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions and/or need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                        johnjv24 Level 1

What do you mean by rolling back the driver? Using older versions of the video driver???

PreE10 is installed on the SSD.  The scratch files are on the 1 TB HDD. I have been keeping up with controlling pile ups.

• 9. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

johnjv24

PreE10 is installed on the SSD.  The scratch files are on the 1 TB HDD. I have been keeping up with controlling pile ups

What is considered the Local Disc C? The SSD?.

Please check out the following Premiere Elements 10 Nvidia video card thread for view of the driver roll back situation to which I was referring.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5907813

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                            johnjv24 Level 1

SSD is the C: drive

I rolled back to the old version 320.49 and the AVCHD footage is really smooth.

Thanks for the advice!!!

• 11. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

johnjv24

Thanks for the additional information.

Great news about the AVCHD footage running smoother after the video card driver version roll back.

I am not sure when that Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver issue will be addressed (if ever), but, at least, we have a workaround.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 12. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                                johnjv24 Level 1

Yeah they need do something about it!

Anyways, I forgot how to label this discussion as resolved or whatever the word is.

• 13. Re: can PreE10 or any of them import MPEG-2 PS?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

johnjv24

I am not up to date on the thread designations. Only recently the web people added a translate button to the mix.

I am also confused on how to designate a thread that I have originated. There used to be a choice of Helpful and Correct, Correct being the "right" answer, and Helpful, essentially being contributory.

But now for my threads, I see only Correct. Often there are a lot of helpful answers, but no correct one.

We do the best we can. Perhaps those originating threads will get some clarification on these matters.

Important for me...however the thread is designated, you are successfully moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR