13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 8:47 PM by A.T. Romano

The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time

BobHp17

When I Add Media the Project Assetts and save the Project, the Asset file is empty when I open the project the next time.

• 1. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've never heard of this happening, so you're going to need to provide more details and do some troubleshooting to figure out what's up.

Meantime, what is your operating system? is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

What processor do you have and how much RAM? How much, free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive? When did you last run a complete virus scan on your system?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple as well as all of your operating system's updates? If you are on a Windows machine, have you enabled Microsoft Updates in addition to Windows Updates?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? How did you get the video from your camcorder to your computer?

Which version of the program are you using and what steps did you take to add the media to your Project Assets?

• 2. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Like Steve, this is a new one to me, as well.

One additional question, along with Steve's, when you went to exit PrE, after Importing those Assets, you DID do a Save, didn't you?

With any changes to the Project, upon exit, you should have gotten a dialog screen, asking you to do a Save.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 3. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BobHp17

What version of Premiere Elements are you using, version 11 or 12?

I have one question that has not been asked yet. Please excuse. I did not want to take anything for granted.

Given the you open a project to the Expert workspace. You import media into the project via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. Depending on how you have the Pin View set the Project Assets will remain open until you close it manually. Let us assume that you leave it open when you do the save close of the project.

I have found that, when you reopen the project, the Project Assets area will be closed, and, in order to see what is in the Project Assets, you need to open Project Assets by clicking on the small triangle next to the name Project Assets. Are you doing that, that is, opening the Projects Assets to see what is inside?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                BobHp17 Level 1

Here is my problem in a little more detail:

If I start a new project, select Expert mode, Add my Media, it shows up in the Project Assets area. If I then put some of the media into the timeline, save my project and close Premiere Elements 12, when I open Premiere Elements 12 again and open the project, the Project Assets area is empty. The media I put into the timeline is still there, I can play my little video with no problem, but everything that had been in Project Assets is gone. I have tried this with three projects.

In addition, I am working through the lessons in Premiere Elements 12 Classroom in A Book, and when I open the Project for Lesson 4, the Project Assets area is empty as well. That is a project I downloaded from Peachpit, not a project I created.

I am using an HP Pavilion dv7-4283cl laptop PC with Windows 7, Intel i5 CPU @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system,565 GB hard drive (mostly empty).

I update Windows and Norton 360 Premier Edition regularly. I have not defrgmented the hard drive, but I have barely used the computer.

I have Added Media from an IPhone, a Canon Powershot G9, and lesson files from Peachpit ... same results with all.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

• 5. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                  nealeh Level 5

Just to expand on ATR's comment with a screenshot - you must click on the Project Assets tab to open it when you reopen the project.

1.jpg

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                    BobHp17 Level 1

Yes, thank you, I do this. Please see my expanded discussion of my probem.

• 7. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                      BobHp17 Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I have expanded on my problem below.

• 8. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BobHp17

Please excuse if I repeat, but I just want to make that I am not taking anything for granted.

1. Given that I opened Premiere Elements 12 new project, and that the Expert workspace Project Assets is as shown in screenshot 1, unopened. All I did here was to open the program and this was the view.

Step1.JPG

At this point, Project Assets will remained closed until

a. I click on the triangle next to the words "Project Assets" (then I will have an empty Project Assets since I have not yet imported media. See screenshot 2.

Step2.JPG

or

b. I import media into the project.

While you are working in the Expert workspace with your media on the Timeline, do you click on the triangle next to the words Project Assets to close Project Assets so that its presence does not obstruct your view of the project while you are editing?

It is normal for you to open this saved/closed project and see the Project Assets panel closed. To open it again, please refer to the above two mentions. I just want to make sure you are distinguishing between an empty Project Assets panel and one that is closed and that needs to be opened to see its contents.

If you have content on the Timeline, then you "must" have a thumbnail for each it in Project Assets. There are 2 views for Project Assets - which one of them are you in...Grid View or List View? See Panel Options/Views/Grid View and List View.

Panel Options icon is to the right of the Pin icon.

Another thought, what are the properties of the media that you have on the Timeline which are not being represented in the save/closed/reopened project's Project Assets?

Let us confirm the details. If confirmed, we may want to go to deleting the settings file.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file to be deleted. Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

BobHp17

I did not see your latest reply until after I had posted mine.

If you are OK with the opening and closing of Project Assets panel as you indicate, please try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that I mentioned in my latest post.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                            nealeh Level 5

I'd be inclined to go to HP Support site and check for  an updated display driver (you could try nvidia or AMD but generally HP customise their drivers and generics don't install).

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 11. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

BobHp17

Since Project Assets is your only problem with the Premiere Elements 12 program, I am not favoring the video card or its driver in this.

If you find that the video card driver is up to date, then, if you are still thinking in that direction, you could consider the BadDrivers.txt file. In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, it can be found

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements Folder

the BadDrivers.txt file is a file that exists in the Premiere Elements Folder in this path. It is a file that is in that Premiere Elements which may include some other folders. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the path.

Do you have an installation disc or installation files for Premiere Elements 12? If so, consider

a. Deactivate the program, Help Menu/Sign Out

b. Uninstall via the usual Control Panel Route

c. Run through with ccleaner (regular and registry parts)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall.

Summary...What I would look at

a. Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file deletion

b. Running program with Norton diabled

c. Looking at the video card/video card driver situtation and BadDrivers.txt file deletion

d. If you have installation disc or installation files, Deactivation, Uninstall, Run through with ccCleaner, Reinstall.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...From what you wrote, can we assume that no Windows High Contrast Themes are involved in your computer environment?

• 12. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                                BobHp17 Level 1

Thank you to everyone who offered ideas.

I deleted the preferences file, but that did not solve my problem.

Yes, I do have the official install disc, purchased at Best Buy. I was not using a bootleg copy.

With all due respect, the other ideas offered sound like shots in the dark. I just do not have the time or patience to try and get this program to work. Back in the days of CP/M, maybe, but in this day and age it just should not be that difficult. I deactiated (signed-off they call it now) Premiere Elements 12 and uninstalled it. I will try another editing program.

Again, thank you to everybody. I appreciate your time.

• 13. Re: The Project Assets panel is empy when I open my project the next time
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BobHp17

Thanks for the follow up.

Premiere Elements can be installed from an installation disc (usually from boxed packaging) as well as from installation files from the purchased of the serial number online. I wanted to make sure you had one or the other as a provision for my suggestion of the uninstall/reinstall. With the online purchases, there can be incomplete downloads that need to be addressed. I meant to imply nothing else.

When hit with an atypical issue with Premiere Elements such as yours, often what might seem like shots in the dark provide the answer or clues to it. Some by the book as well as out of the box approaches/thinking have helped me solve many a difficult and frustrating Premiere Elements issue for another user or myself. But, I understand your decision and wish you well with whatever decisions you make for your video editing program.

But, I will continue to watch for Project Assets panel issue reports moving forward. The unanswered whys are disturbing.

Again, thanks and best wishes.

ATR