4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 8:57 AM by lotsyy

too many maps on desktop

lotsyy

Opening PE12 opens many maps on my desktop, ' preview files', auto-save', 'layouts', 'encoded files'.

I can do without. But how can I avoid this?

• 1. Re: too many maps on desktop
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you mean by "maps." Can you please elaborate?

The various terms that you add, "Preview Files," "Auto Saves," etc., are the folders in the PrE Scratch Disks, i.e. the working files for editing a Project. They should not appear on your Desktop.

Now, please provide some info, that might help others target the issues:

What OS version are you using?

What is the location of your Scratch Disks, set up in Edit>Preferences>Scratch Disks? If you have set the location to your Desktop, that is the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: too many maps on desktop
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like you're talking about support file folders -- which are not only a necessary part of video editing's process but, in same cases, can save your project in the event of corruption. You want those files!

But I certainly don't recommend you save a project file to your desktop. In my book, I always recommend that, whenever you start a new project, you open a new directory folder on your computer and put your project file in it. This will keep the project file and its support files in a nice, neat area and might even save you from dealing with messy corruptions.

• 3. Re: too many maps on desktop
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the Scratch Disks dialog screen, where one can set the location of the various "working folders:"

PrE11_Scratch_Disks.png

In this case, the location has been left at the default, "Same as Project," and yours might be set to Desktop, or similar.

Good luck, and hope that the Scratch Disks location is the cause of your issue.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: too many maps on desktop
                lotsyy Level 1

Thanks a lot for helping. I just started to work with Premiere, before I used IMovie and FinalCut Express. You really solved my little problem. The scratch disc was set to desktop and all other files were set to 'same as project'. This explains that all folders I mentioned showed up on my desk. I changed it. Thanks.