5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 8:40 AM by head spin

Share>Computer>AVI>Advanced>Render at Maximum Bit Depth?

head spin

I am using PrE9, importing VHS tapes, splitting and trimming them, and saving them to AVI for later work. The default setting for "render at maximum bit depth" in the advanced tab under the computer share options for AVI is left unchecked. If I check the box to render at maximum bit depth, what kinds of things happen? I am guessing I will get a larger file size, but I am interested in preserving as much quality as possible from the original VHS tapes. What is the purpose of having this option in the advanced tab? I read some other posts about HD video (which I am not doing) and they were talking about lossless codecs and render optiions for both video and audiio. If I check the render at maximum bit depth box, will it automatically match video and audio bit depth in my situation?

• 1. Re: Share>Computer>AVI>Advanced>Render at Maximum Bit Depth?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Head Spin,

If you are looking for "maximum quality," then you might wish to explore one of the visually lossless CODEC's, such as Lagarith, or UT Lossless. The file sizes WILL be larger, but the visual quality will be as good as it gets. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

That does not directly address your specific question, but should help with the "big picture."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Share>Computer>AVI>Advanced>Render at Maximum Bit Depth?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Although you do have to ask yourself if it's worth creating such large, hard to work with files.

VHS video is pretty low resolution -- only about 333x480 pixels per frame. Standard resolution DV-AVIs are 720x480, over twice that resolution. So even stepping up to a DV compressed AVI is creating a higher resolution file than the original.

Uncompressed AVI might just be overkill, in addition to producing a file that's about five times that it needs to be and very difficult to play and edit. You can't get a better quality video than your original source.

• 3. Re: Share>Computer>AVI>Advanced>Render at Maximum Bit Depth?
              nealeh Level 5

To answer your specific question did you see the tooltip?

1.jpg

I beleive it allows for 32-bit processing (16-bit if unchecked). Per the project settings help file at http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/project-settings-presets.html

Maximum Bit Depth

Allows Premiere Elements to use up to 32‑bit processing, even if the project uses a lower bit depth. Selecting this option increases precision but decreases performance.

The help file for export is somewhat less informative about what it actually does but does point out that it is the color bit depth - http://helpx.adobe.com/media-encoder/using/encode-export-video-audio.html

• (Optional) Select Use Maximum Render Quality or Render At Maximum Bit Depth.

Note:  Rendering at a higher color bit depth requires more RAM and slows rendering substantially.

In practice the simplest suggestion is to export twice - once with / once without the setting and compare the time taken and perceived quality.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Share>Computer>AVI>Advanced>Render at Maximum Bit Depth?
                head spin Level 1

Nealeh,

Thanks also to Steve and Bill for answering. I'm not too up on the advanced stuff like lossless codecs so probably will leave that alone. If I understand correctly from Steve, if the box is left unchecked the saved AVi is compressed somewhat?

Interesting info on the bit depth. You can set maximum bit depth in the project presets (starting the project) for rendering for viewing/editing during the project. I am now curious if that changes the share setting to maximum bit depth when I save to computer.I have an i7 processor so rendering is fairly quick. I will try the experiment as you suggest to see if worth the larger file size.

Also brings another question. Up through PrE9 used 32-bit systems and PrE10 went to 64-bit. Does that change the Maximum Bit Depth 32-bit rendering (you posted "allows Premiere Elements to use up to 32-bit processing") or did Adobe leave that the same? Or did Adobe go to 64-bit processing? Maybe i misunderstand the logic.

The 2nd helpx you posted was for "media encoder" no problem. The help menu for that program seems to be way more inclusive on help than PrE help

• 5. Re: Share>Computer>AVI>Advanced>Render at Maximum Bit Depth?
                  head spin Level 1

Nealeh,

Just an update. I ran a 5 minute clip through the share panel with and without the maximum bitrate checked (DV-NTSC). As in yur screenshot the depth is 24 bit for PrE9. There was no difference in the GSpot readings except for a change in the container from a 5 part DML to a 3 part DML.

If I used any ot the other share options (Microsoft AVI, Uncompressed Microsoft AVI) the save time went up dramatically from about 50 seconds to over an hour. I canceled the saves when I saw the estimated time to render. Also, In the AVI save options, the standard bitrate was shown to be 8-bit processing if the box was unchecked. So I clearly don't comprehend the bit processing figures, which is probably irrelevant.

I didn't try any video with any of the sharpen effects etc but am guessing the render time would change. The guy who invents a cheap way to insert additional pixels? (up the definition?) into older video is going to be very popular. Like some of the older Disney movies are being redigitized and really look super compared to the old tapes