• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hosting website on BC but using Network Solutions for receiving emails

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2013 Dec 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have our domain name registered through Network Solutions and our emails also go through them. We went live with our Muse website (www.martellaprinting.com) by changing the A Record on NS's end by pointing to IP address 54.236.189.61. Previously, our website was pointing to some other IP 74.xxx.xxx.xx. We were advised not to redelegate to BCs World securesystems name servers because we wished to continue using NetSolutions for emails and not wipe out our existing MX records. I obtained the MX records plus 2 CNAME records, one was mail.martellaprinting.com and the other smtp.martellaprinting.com. I've spoken with NetSolutions and they say everything looks fine on their end (MX records, CNAME records.) What do I need to do in the Business Catalyst Site Settings/Site Domains? All of this is happening because, of course, we can no longer receive our emails via the email client (Thunderbird.)

TOPICS
Newbie Corner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Okay, an update: The issue is resolved by contacting the domain registrar, in this case Network Solutions. They had me reset the MX Records on their end and after about 2 hours, emails were working with our email client (Thunderbird.) I confirmed by chatting with Adobe Online Chat and they confirmed it is not a BC issue. So, we are now able to download our emails and our Muse website is up and running

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have pointed the NS records to BC, if you have changed those then ALL traffic will be going to BC including emails.

You got two options.

1. Change those back to what they should be for net24 and just point the A-record again to BC so you only point the web traffic.   

OR

2. Set up your MX Records etc in BC but this does mean your doing a longer route for your emails.

http://helpx.adobe.com/business-catalyst/partner/going-live-guide.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for your reply! I really wish there was someone I could online-chat with or call on the weekends for BC help, but anyway...

I don't believe I've changed to the BC Name Servers since nowhere on the Network Solutions end did I enter them. From what I can see, our website shows on Network Solutions the following:

Name Server 1: NS1.WORLDNIC.COM

Name Server 2: NS2.WORLDNIC.COM

What I did was change the IP Address on Network Solutions end (A Records):

Host                        TTL                          Numeric IP

www                        7200                        54.236.189.61

@ (None)                7200                       54.236.189.61

* (All Others)           7200                       54.236.189.61  

Mail Servers (MX Records):

inbound.maretllaprinting.com.netsolmail.net.(10) TTL 7200

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, cool

Where is your site, which Data Centre?

Europe

• or
United States
  • or
Australia
  • or

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. When I pinged for it, I got 54.236.189.61. Other than that, I'm not sure how to determine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 54.236.189.61 is in United States.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well You do not ping and enter that as your A-record.

You can see it is none that is listed above.

If your site is US then you need to choose

OR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will changing to either of those resolve our email issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I omitted a piece of information. At one point very late on Saturday night/Sunday morning, my emails on email client Thunderbird  were able to be received. Then, the next (today, Sunday) around 9am, I sent another test email, and nothing. Thunderbird says, "Connecting to martellaprinting.com..." but nothing happens. Sorry, been working on this all weekend, trying to resolve it before Monday morning. Thank you for any assistance you can offer. I may have to contact chat support or call and have someone remote-control my computer to see what's happening in BC control panel and Network Solutons control panels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email issues I do not know.

Should be uneffected now if your site is not accessable.

Emails not working if set like this will be unrelated to BC and if you have email problems that is for Network Sollutions to resolve for you and not something thats related to your BC site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I will be in contact with Network Solutions tomorrow. I appreciate your time for your input, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2013 Dec 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, an update: The issue is resolved by contacting the domain registrar, in this case Network Solutions. They had me reset the MX Records on their end and after about 2 hours, emails were working with our email client (Thunderbird.) I confirmed by chatting with Adobe Online Chat and they confirmed it is not a BC issue. So, we are now able to download our emails and our Muse website is up and running

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, on the BC end I have indicated ont he MX Records (mail) that we will "Use another external service for email", with Mail Server: martellaprinting.com, priority 10, and TTL: 1 day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny how life is, i have the exact reverse question to this...

How do you host just emails on BC (meanwhile porting the whole site that is hosted somewhere else with a one year contract)

A good client of mine and friend (that will redo is site with us on BC in nov 2014) received, a couple of week ago and email saying that thier hosting company for thier actual site, wont be supporting emails anymore...

they are offering my client to go the google way... which is not a bad solution.

However, it cost 50$/year per account.

i am the one who registred their 8 domains... (so i can modify the MX at the registrar.)

could i have one of them point it's MX to a BC hosting plan, while keeping it's DNS pointing to the actual website

Then tell the main domain's email to redirect to the BC one?

does that make any sence to you?

to recap:

• My client has a website and hosting. but will lose email service by the end of january.
  • They have 5 accounts they need to keep them alive.
  • Could i use BC to host theses account, not the website. (not until nov 2014)

... then at the end of their website hosting contract with the other firm, we will host everything on BC (cos they allready paid for a year)

and they are a non profit organisation so they dont have tons of cash to spend

hope you all could understand my English.

i really need help with this.

best regards,

ive d.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure myself, unfortunately. I am still learning BC. You may want to repost this as a new thread as I don't know if any of the BC experts will reply to this since the initial issue was resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BC is not just an email hosting and the price you will pay for them is much more because it has all the site features then just getting a proper email hosting provider.

Find a hosting provider - lots of good ones and cheap.

Set them up and update the domain informaiton for the email only.

That is not hard and can be all done in under an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines