5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 5:52 AM by Sandee Cohen

Hiding evidence of using a Template

shuttermaniac

Quick question lads,

Im in college so I have to create a couple of magazine pages from scratch.

I dont have the time, so Im experimentmenting with templates.

If I copy the objects into a new document will the lecture know I've used a template?

Comments more than welcome!

Shuttermaniac.

• 1. Re: Hiding evidence of using a Template
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You won't know unless you try.

• 2. Re: Hiding evidence of using a Template
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't have time then make time.

This is the world of design. Late nights, early mornings. Coffee Coffee Coffee.

No excuses for not having time. That's just lazy.

How come other people had time to do this? I suspect everyone got the same amount of time...

You might or might not fool the lecturer - but the chances are you will be caught. Maybe not this time, but the next or the next - or worse with a cient who is paying top dollar for your services!

The only person you cheat is yourself!

Be honest and do them the right way and learn from it.

• 3. Re: Hiding evidence of using a Template
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Hear, hear.

Using templates in itself is not cheating -- they do serve a definitive, and very useful purpose. But (like Eugene) I get the impression you are using someone other's template and plan on presenting them as "your work".

Before you do so, consider:

if your copied template happens to contain a cunning construction (say, an elegant list of Based-On paragraph styles), your teacher may ask you why and how you created it that way. And of course the same goes for silly, bad, useless or plain *wrong* constructions.

Also, I can recognize the work of my own hands -- even with different text, fonts, sizes, and colors. There are just too many tell-tale signs to hide them all, and before you *can* "hide" them, you have to know where to look in the first place!

• 4. Re: Hiding evidence of using a Template
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

[Jongware] wrote:

Using templates in itself is not cheating -- they do serve a definitive, and very useful purpose. But (like Eugene) I get the impression you are using someone other's template and plan on presenting them as "your work".

In this case it is cheating.

The assignment is to create a magazine template from scratch.

Not to use templates.

Anyone can download a template and use it.

The assignment is to learn about creating a template, not using a template.

And the whole point about assignments to create a template is that you make mistakes in your template designs - then you learn from them.

Then when you go to the real world and get a job and someone asks you to create a magazine template - you can do it with the all the knowledge of building them before and knowing what mistakes to not make.

You learn nothing about creating a template by downloading and using a template that is already pre-built.

• 5. Re: Hiding evidence of using a Template
                  Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Will the lecturer know you've used a template?

As an instructor, I have many thoughts about this.

#1 What are you supposed to be learning? Design? Production? If it's design, you've just locked yourself into someone else's idea of a good look. And you really don't want to be locked in like that.

If it's production, you don't know what advanced features have been applied to the template elements. For instance, if you have no idea what GREP styles are, you're going to be hard-pressed to explain why you used them if the template designer did.

#2 You run the risk of using a crappy template. As an instructor, I look for very specific things to show me that my students understand the work that I've gone over. I don't want to see unnecessary formatting of character styles, local overrides, poor object grouping. If your template has these things (and I promise you many do), you're opening yourself up for a bad grade based on what someone else did.

#3 Will your instructor be looking at your actual file or a PDF or a hard copy. If it's the actual file, you'll have to go all over the elements to make sure you haven't left some incriminating evidence such as a special naming convention, in the elements. That's probably more work than if you just did it yourself. Trust me, running around the whole document trying to clean up someone else's fingerprints is not fun.

#4 You run the risk of the template elements "blowing up" when you copy/paste them into a new document. Styles and formatting may change in unexpected ways.

#5 Your instructor is probably familiar with many of the templates out there. She probably will be able to recognize someone else's work very quickly.

#6 You're only cheating yourself. If you don't do this assignment on your own, you're going to be in trouble if you ever get a job where you have to design something yourself.

Having said all that, I wish you luck. Come back to this forum if you need help. That's not considered cheating.