4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 7:36 AM by Steve Grisetti

How can I find the track matte file in PrE12?

Kawika808 Level 1

Arrggh...

My question is triggered by the incomparably obscure Manual, AKA "Tutorial," p. 134:

"Create transparency with the Track Matte Key effect

"1. If you haven’t already done so, add the matte file to the project: Click Add Media and choose Files And Folders. Navigate to the matte file, and click Open."

The questions:

1. WHAT "matte file?"

2. WHERE is it?

I didn't create one, the instructions never mention creating one--I have no idea where or what they are talking about.  There is nothing in any menu or pull-down I can find in PrE12.  Is it a plug-in?  Something that I was presumed to have created at some point?  Some part of the PrE program that isn't anywhere in the edit part of the program?  Another name for a Color Matte (doubtful, but any port in a storm)?  I really hate to have to resort to a full search of the computer drive C: just to find something that may or may not be there.

The closest thing is the Track Matte Key, found not via Files and Folder, but via fx > Keying... and which is a different item anyhow.  And of course the aforementioned Color Matte, also not found via Files And Folders, and also a different item (one supposes).

Directions, treasure maps, GPS coordinates, secret codes, etc. gratefully accepted...

• 1. Re: How can I find the track matte file in PrE12?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The "Matte" is created by you. It could be from PrE's Titler, or perhaps from Photoshop/Photoshop Elements. It defines the areas that are "seen," and those "hidden," or Transparent, by the Matte.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How can I find the track matte file in PrE12?
            Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, Bill.

So I don't actually have to create and store one?  I could use, say, a Color Matte?

From what I have gleaned from the manual, this is essentially like a Gradient Layer in PhotoShop (which may be used in a non-gradient manner to allow selected portions of an image to show through another).  Although it appears to be structured slightly differently.

• 3. Re: How can I find the track matte file in PrE12?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808,

The creation of the Matte, to be used with Track Matte Keying, will depend on exactly what one is doing.

Track Matte Keying is a very powerful tool, and can allow one to accomplish many things. This article points to but one potential use. The mechanics are the same, for other uses: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1765005#1765005

I have used Track Matte Keying to "soften" the skin on a young lady speaking, basically a "talking head." In that case, I did a duplicate of the Clip with the lady, and added a bit of Blur to that. Then, the Matte was created to only show the skin areas, with the lips, eyes, hair and background sharp. The Matte was then Keyframed w/ Position, to follow her head movements. That Matte masked out the Blurred areas for the lips, eyes, hair and background. As such it was not really a Shape.

Another use for Track Matte Keying is to allow for the superimposition of the display on a TV monitor, where the Clip on Video 2 is a PiP (Picture in Picture), and the Matte is an irregular rectangle, masking out all of the PiP, except for the area of that TV.

Lots of uses, and each will dictate what the Matte should look like.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How can I find the track matte file in PrE12?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can also find lots of great uses for the Track Matte - along with step-by-step, illustrated directions -- in my special effects book for Premiere Elements 11 and 12.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php