4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 9:57 AM by EmmanuelMota RSS

Target channel is hidden

Elliott B. Community Member

In Photoshop CC, I am constantly getting the message "Could not ...... because the target channel is hidden" whenever I try to do anything.  Every time, I check and see that the alpha channel is selected and hidden, so I select RGB instead.  Why does it keep automatically switching back to alpha?

• 1. Re: Target channel is hidden
          Noel Carboni Community Member

Are you maybe clicking on a layer mask icon in the Layers panel?

-Noel

• 2. Re: Target channel is hidden
            Elliott B. Community Member

Nope.  I did have some layer masks, but they were inside layer groups that were closed and not visible.

• 3. Re: Target channel is hidden
              Noel Carboni Community Member

I'm not sure what you might be doing, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints here on the forum about Photoshop selecting alternate channels on its own...  Is is possible you're fat-fingering a key on the keyboard just before this happens?

I'm scouring my memory and I can't think of a time when I've had a channel made active without being able to explain it...

I can only encourage you to watch for it to happen then very carefully review what you've just done.

Next time it happens, before changing anything consider doing a screen grab and posting it here.  Maybe there's some other clue there that one of us on the forum might be able to spot.  Maybe something will be showing in the History panel that will make it clearer...

-Noel

• 4. Re: Target channel is hidden
                EmmanuelMota Community Member

I am getting the same exact issue.

I very carefully select my layer and go to move it using the cursor, and get this error.

I look in the channels panel and RGB is no longer selected only the Alpha channel.

I edit text, save changes, go to move the layer and get this error.

This is the first time this has happened to me as a photoshop user of 10 years. I am on Creative cloud cc and just updated photoshop a few days ago..

The only fix I know of is to select the alpha channel and delete it..

Screen Shot 2014-01-03 at 9.38.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-01-03 at 9.38.50 AM.png