9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 8:09 AM by gkaiseril

Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard

JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hi,

In action Wizard/Javascript, I do first OCRing then run a few steps of Javascript to copy the files into new location folders.  I tried to do the Embeded indexing as I am passing through these PDF files, I noticed that Embeded indexing is not available Under Document processing when on Action Wizard,  So isn't Full Text Index with Catalog.... Any body knows a trick that these functionality can be done while running the action Wizard is running or they have to be run independently?

Regards,

Jeff P

• 1. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you work your way through the cataloging process, you will see there are many user options that can be very unique to the PDFs being indexed. One of the more complex is the words, numbers, symbols, etc that need to be excluded for a given catalog.

There are also issues with files being moved relative to the indexed files. Since the Batch Processor or Action wizard could move the files during processing, were are the index folders & files placed? With the starting folder or the ending folder.

• 2. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard
            JeffBPaarsa Level 1

"Batch Processor or Action wizard could move the files during processing" Move? how you mean after OCRing save it into the same forlder or another folder outside of the input folder.... I was told that PDF files can not be moved or deleted... I was told wrongfully?  Actually I would love to see how they can be moved to a new location/directory I needed that... Can you show me how, or direct me to a sample that moves the PDF during an action Wizard JavaScript? That would be a routine that I would like to have ... right now after my action wizard is run I go to the input directory and delete all the files manually... because during the action wizard I have copied the processed PDFs into new location directory and I do not want to keep the input PDFS...

• 3. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I was the one who told you that files can't be moved in an Action, but it seems it might be possible, using a sneaky hack... Since you can move files to a "success" or "fail" folder using the Preflight tool you can create a "blank" or use a very simple Preflight Profile (like "Compatible with Acrobat 7, which most files should be) and add it to your Action, selecting your desired output folder as the target folder of this command.

• 4. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard
                JeffBPaarsa Level 1

I have both version 8 and 10 Pro... can I get more clue on what you recomending, can you show me a sample, or more guidance... What you suggested above is way above my head on how to do that...

• 5. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard
                  try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Not sure if it's possible in Acrobat 8, but it should be in 10.

Create an Action and then add a Preflight step to it (from the Document Processing submenu).

Snap1.png

Click on Specify Settings and then this window will open:

Snap2.png

Select a simple Preflight check, like "Compatible with Acrobat 7", and then choose to move the file on success (and/or on error):

Snap3.png

Save the profile.

Of course, you should probably put this as the final step of the Action and not add a separate Save command.

• 6. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard
                    JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hi,

I tried this does not work.  Off course I am saving the input files with a Suffix in diffrent folders, but All PreFlight does is copy input files into C:\Temp files and leaves the input files in the input folders intact at their own place and does not delete them from the input folder...

• 7. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard

1. One cannot move the indexed files and index subdirectories and files unless the file directory hirearchy or structure is maintained.

2. One cannot start an Action Sequence or batch process by script or through the OS interface.

3. Acrobat JavaScript has very very limited OS interface capability.

• 8. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard
                        JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hi,

You have seen or heard about this:

http://www.evermap.com/autobatch.asp

Is this a false claim?

• 9. Re: Indexing in a JavaScript Action Wizard

That is not an Acrobat and not a Windows only solution but a 3rd party application that uses the AIC provided by the SDK and a fair amount of some computer language programing.

They provide a free trial period so you can test if for yourself.

Please be aware that indexing is very limited in how it can be used since it only works in a non-web network or individual computer. Also the relative file directory needs to be strictly maintained when moving the PDF and the all of the index subdirectories and files.