5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 3:27 PM by Laubender

Table Transparency Effect

chris.howard

Is there anyway to set one effect transparceny for the actual table and a different % for the text contained within the table?

Please advise

• 1. Re: Table Transparency Effect
          P4L Design Team Level 1

What if you went to Table-Cell Options-Strokes and Fills? There's an option to change the % of the tint on the strokes and/or fills which will only change the transparency of the lines in the table. Then you could just use the text transparency for any data in the table.

• 2. Re: Table Transparency Effect
            chris.howard Level 1

Sorry I should of clarified, the table is to go on a photo bacjground so a tint will only lighten the colour not make it transpartent like I need and when I add it as an effect it adds it to the table and the text contained within it which I dont want. I wanted the table transparency at say %40 but keep the text contained within it at %100 within having to take the text out and have it in it's own separate text box.

• 3. Re: Table Transparency Effect
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Chris – to get the geometrics of the one table (transparency set) in sync with the text, you could align two tables in their separate text frames.

The one with transparency and another one with the text visible layered on top. Center aligned in x and y direction.

Both would contain the same text with formatting. The trick here would be setting the fill color of the text in the table stacked in the back with fill color "None".

See this screenshot, where some text is selected (fill color "None") in the second cell of the first row:

LayeredTables.png

At the left from top to bottom:
              Table 1: visible text and cells filled with colors (transparency 100%)

Table 2: invisible text, cellss filled like the table above

Table 3: visible text, cells fill and stroke set to color "None"

At the right three stacked objects:

Foreground: Table 3
              Middle: Table 2 set to transparency 60%

(table 3 and 2 center aligned in x any direction)

Background: placed image

Now, if you have to change the contents of a cell of the table in foreground and you want to change the geometry of the background automatically, you have to change the contents in both tables.

Uwe

Uwe

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Table Transparency Effect
                chris.howard Level 1

Thanks for that, that is a good work around but for the current project and size of the project with a lot of tables to be created and edited I am trying to find a way if you can do it without having separated tables and layering them on top of one another

Ideally I want one table with finding the option (if one exists) to have the transparency of the text contained within to the table different. More I research online I just do not think there is an option as yet not sure if there is in the new CC.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Table Transparency Effect
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Chris – I fear, it's not possible what you want to do…
                  Sigh. And the functionality with tables did not change in a couple of years.

Transparency tied to color definitions (and not only to objects on pages) is on the wishlist for some years now, but building swatches in RGBa or CMYKa (amongst others) is still no option in InDesign.

Uwe