23 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 9:24 AM by Phoenician1

Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

Christoph Letmaier Level 1

This was possible in InDesign-Versions previous to InDesign CC. Now, if I double-click a textframe i have to wait 1 second, then i'm able to select text with another double click.

That is very annoying and disturbs my working process. Is someone else facing this issue?

The answer from the Adobe LiveChat-Support was "we have something changed" and questions in the kind of "First: Have you already turned your machine on?".

Friendly as they are the gave me an mysterious adress to a cave somewhere in US, where I can dig for further answers. Fine.

• 1. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Edit>Preferences>Interface

Change to Delayed or Immediate

Edit>Preferecens>Type

Perhaps changing a few things there can help.

I really have no idea what you're talking about though.

• 2. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

Hey Eugene,

thanks for your answer. For your understanding try this:

1. open a new docment

2. create a text frame and enter some text

3. Change from text-tool to the selection-tool (Key "V" or Escape-Key)

4. Now do a quick triple-click with the left mouse-key on any word of this text-frame (with selection-tool clicked)

-- In previous InDesign-Version the text underlaying the mouse-cursor was now selected. What happens in your case?

5. I have to wait one second, then I can select a word with a new double-click.

• 3. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I see the same delay in CC. But the triple-click in CS6 selects the whole line, not a single word. I suspect that's a difference in our prefs settings.

• 4. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes - the tripple line select is a Preference setting under "Type".

• 5. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

Sorry, that is not my point, changing settings as you propose doesn't solve my problem.

This triple click is meant if the cursor is already blinking in the selected textframe.

@Peter Spier: I change nothing in my prefs. Thats how it works since I installed InDesign CC without any changes.

No matter how often I click once - InDesign CC does not select text. I have to wait one second and then I have to double click, or triple click to select a word or a line.

I older versions it was possible just to click three times and text was selected - without switchen first to the text-tool.

I work very fast on an InDesign-Document, often image-frames and text-frames step by step. So it slows me down if I have to wait one second so I'm able to select text...

-------------------------

I try this explanation, so you can reproduce the error:

1. create a text frame and enter some text

2. Switch from text-tool to the selection-tool (Key "V" or Escape-Key)

3. Click several times (i mean 10 times and more) fast on a word in the textframe. You will see that in InDesign CC no text will be selected. You have to wait 1 second, then the text-tool will be activated and then you are able to select text. I previous InDesign versions after 3 clicks there was text selected - without selecting first the text-tool.

-------------------------

Understand my problem? In a fast workflow it is unacceptable to wait 1 second because of a UI-Bug...

• 6. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                    Ellis home Level 4

My experience in #3 is: two clicks put me back inside the text frame. Next two clicks select a word. I'm on ID CC, Windows 8.1

• 7. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I wasn't suggesting that there was a prefs setting that would solve your problem -- this is a behavior change, for better or worse. I was merely point out that I have a differnt behavior than you do in CS6, I presume because you didn't make the same election your prefs that I did to use a triple-click to select the line, or possibly it's just the speed with which you click -- the first click registers as selecting the frame and the next tow do the word selection.

• 8. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

and you don't make any break after the first two clicks? I work with Windows 7.

• 9. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                          Ellis home Level 4

Nope. But you have to click twice real quick. If you just click once at a time then it behaves as you described it.

• 10. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

@Peter Spier: hm, slower click-speed doesn't change anything...

As I mentioned in my entry-post I had a discussion with Adobe LiveChat. The employee faced the same error a I described, but the answer "we have something changed" is not satisfying, as you can imagine.

Obviously, Adobe has but some sort of new or modified "click-listener" in the software. For me this behavior change is definitly not for the better...

Thanks for your help, anyway.

• 11. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

@Ellis home: I see. I click very fast, and the problem persists. I also changed the double-click speed in the Windows Settings - doesn't help.

Perhaps this could be a wrong adobe air installation? As far a I know the new UI of InDesign works with Adobe Air... but I may be completely wrong in this point.

• 12. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

Unfortunately, nobody has a solution for me.

As I said, i asked Adobe Live Chat about this issue, and an employee there reproduced the error I described in the same way as I see it.

Adobe, please, can you just read my message and release a bug fix for this problem? I wonder if that words will help...

• 13. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                  Angus Hume Level 1

I have this same problem. Triple click non selected frame used to select the text under the tool. Now I can click 5 or 6 times, it just does nothing. But if I click once and wait a second then I can double or triple click to select text. I noticed the problem right away and feels like a significant interuption to what used to feel like a nice fluid workflow. I have not changed any defaults but from reading above those options do not change this behaviour. Horrible.

• 14. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks

Hey Angus, i'm so happy that I'm not alone with this issue. I sent now a bug-report to Adobe with this content:

1. Triple-click on a unselected textframe with the selection tool (the black arrow)

2. No text is selected, only the text-cursor is blinking at the place I clicked.

3. In previous InDesign-Versions (up to InDesign CS5) it was possible to select also the word under the cursor with this triple click. In InDesign CS6 and CC I have to wait 1 second before I can select a word with a double-click.

Results: Text is not selectable with a triple click.

Expected results: Text should be selectable with a triple click as in previous InDesign-Versions.

THIS PROBLEM IS A SIGNIFICANT INTERRUPTION TO THE WORKFLOW!!!

I you have further ideas to tell Adobe about this problem please post a comment. The problem is hard to describe via phone or text and maybe users with a slower workflow don't care that much about this problem.

• 15. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                      angrytourist Level 1

I totally agree, this is annoying. You should be able to drop your cursor into a line of text and click as needed! The new method of drop and highlight doesn't really work for me -- it adds extra mouse movements that I shouldn't have to make. Drop and click is ideal when making text revisions quickly.

• 16. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                        andrewb38571671 Level 1

Just upgraded to CC 2017 and it's still the same... I'm starting to get the feeling Adobe don't see this as a bug. I have submitted a bug report anyway because I don't see what the issue was with the old behaviour and the new one fills me with mouse-bashing rage.

• 17. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you submit a bug report for something you don’t like it will simply be filed under “as designed.” File a feature request.

• 18. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                            andrewb38571671 Level 1

Good point: I suppose putting it in as a bug report was a bit passive aggressive.

It feels like something that was broken during an update and never fixed though. I thought I recalled an Adobe engineer in a thread on this responding that he confirmed the behaviour but didn't indicate whether it was as intended or if it was going to be fixed. Perhaps it was another issue as I can't find it now.

• 19. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                              Migintosh Level 4

I have CS5.5 and CS6 installed, and neither behaves the way you say that "older versions" are supposed to. If I have the select tool and triple-click on a word in a text frame, it selects the whole line, and not the word I clicked on. What was written above about the preference only changes the whole line to a whole paragraph, but not to a single word. A double-click will change from select tool to text tool, and from there a double-click will select a single word, and triple will select what it's set to select, but after trying several times, I can't select a single word with a triple click with the select tool. I'm not saying that I want to, but I'm not experiencing what some of you seem to be saying is normal about older versions.

• 20. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                                andrewb38571671 Level 1

I may have got the number of clicks wrong as I don't have the older versions any more. What I mean is that multiple clicks from the selection tool used to start selecting text immediately. Now, you have to double click to make the text tool and cursor active, wait a moment, then start multiple-clicking. It is this three-step process (double click, pause, multiple-click) that is infuriating.

CS6: click-click (word selected)

CC: click-click PAUSE click-click (word selected)

Again, there may have been an additional click in there but I can't recall. I just know that you can now click ten times but nothing is selected until you pause and start clicking again.

• 21. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                                  Migintosh Level 4

andrewb38571671 wrote:

What I mean is that multiple clicks from the selection tool used to start selecting text immediately.

That's what I understood the original poster and you were saying, but I have CS5.5 and CS6 open right now, and that's not what I'm getting.

andrewb38571671 wrote:

Now, you have to double click to make the text tool and cursor active, wait a moment, then start multiple-clicking.

That's exactly what I'm getting in CS5.5 and CS6. A triple-click with the select tool will select either a line or a paragraph, but not a single word. To select a single word you either have to have the text tool already selected, or use a double-click to change to the text tool, then pause, then double-click for a word or triple-click for a line/paragraph.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I am saying that I'm not getting what you say you used to get. Maybe it's a setting somewhere that I'm not aware of, so if you know what I would need to change, I can verify that you are correct.

• 22. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                                    andrewb38571671 Level 1

Yes you are right: I fired up my old laptop with CS6 and only triple and quadruple clicks work (you can't select a single word with a double click). In any case I used to do it a lot, it would appear, judging by my blood pressure level since switching over to CC. Thus:

CS6: click-click-click (line selected)

CC: click-click PAUSE click-click-click (line selected)

• 23. Re: Selecting textframe and text inside with 3 clicks
                                                      Phoenician1 Level 1

Just chiming in that I also have this same problem/issue/bug -NOT feature- and have to click on text, wait a moment, then click again to actually be able to edit the text. VERY annoying, because editing text is something I do all the time.

Adobe, two suggestions: A) preferably, return this setting to it's previous mode for desktop users, or failing that B) put a damn toggle in, so customers who have used your products for years can continue to use them the way they wish, rather than the way you think is best for them. Please serve your customers, not herd them.