9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 8:55 AM by station_two

Photoshop CS6 on late 2013 15" MBPr - unnatural high GPU temperature.

tetraquark

Hey there!

I have a problem which really bothers me for about a week now.

System I'm using:

15" Macbook Pro Retina

512GB SSD

16GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

2,3 GHz Intel Core i7

and I'm using a recently bought Photoshop CS6 Extended Version with a Wacom Intuos 5 Tablet.

The Problem I have is the following:

As soon as I start Photoshop, e.g. open up a .tif with 2 layers because I want to retouch something on the second Layer, the GPU Unit seems to completely freak out, going from about 55-60 C° directly to 78° and more which causes the fans to spin up immediately to over 4000rpm which is quite noisy.

I can stream several Full-HD Streams in parallel on the 27" Display and the fans don't even make a sound and are over 1800rpm. Also the problem still persists if I turn off the "explicit gpu usage" (don't know what it's called in english).

What makes me wonder is that if I leave Photoshop open and go back to my browser, the gpu immediately cools down again to 60° and the MBP is silent again.

Is that problem known? Can I do something about it? It doesn't sound right to me that Photoshop drains THAT much power from my GPU, my old Macbook Air from 2011 or 2012 has never been that loud using Photoshop CS6 (???).

Best regards !