13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 8:25 AM by A.T. Romano

How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?

Fanbird

I tried so many suggestions from (this forum on posted topics the same problem about PRE10). I have turned off virus prtection, changed file names, deleted two files and still the install stops at the shared technologies section and roles back. I am thinking since this is a custom built laptop with windows 7 Professional loaded with a SSD drive for programs and another drive for documents and pictures there is a problem with the libraries being moved around when my documents and pictures where going Libraries setup on the C drive: SSD. I think the only way left for me to fix this is to reinstall windows 7 and all the drives and porgrams from the DVD 's that the company provided. Is too drastic or do you guyks recomend something else to try?

Thanks

Vesta

• 1. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As long as you've got ample, clean, defragmented space on your C drive and your libraries are on a mapped internal second, the location of your libraries shouldn't affect the install.

• 2. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vesta

The shared technologies installation issue does not seem to be specific to Premiere Elements version or operating system on which Premiere Elements installed. I ran into this issue a few times, including Premiere Elements 11. There are numerous reports of fixes for this as you have found.

Adobe

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-installation-photoshop-elements- premiere.html

Online Chat

http://www.dandandin.net/how-to-solve-the-adobe-shared-technologies-failed-install-problem

Adobe Premiere Elements Forum

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5044351

What finally worked for me was using an USB 2 external burner for the installation disc and connecting that to the computer via USB 3 port on the computer. A more recent time, the answer was just to repeat the install from the start.

Please review the above before you get into reinstall of Windows and drives. There might be something there which you have not tried yet.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
              Fanbird Level 1

ATR

I hope this finds you well and in good spirits.

I checked the first link ( Adobe) about the file logs and when I went to this link...

Windows 64 bit (XP, Vista, 7): C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\

I can not find any thing except this file PRE11STIInstaller.remove nothing like this 

"Elements STI Installer 1.0 01-12-2011.log.gz."

This is an Edit: I went to the last link and found the informationabout moving the setup files to a new location inthe root files such as c:\temp

My question is : So do I  move the  complete downloaded PRE 11 or just setup exe file to the new folder?

Thanks

Vesta

• 4. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vesta

I never tried that route. I will give that a look.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Vesta

Where are you seeing this

I went to the last link and found the informationabout moving the setup files to a new location inthe root files such as c:\temp

The closest that I can find is under Shared Technologies in the link, 3.

Note: If you are using a downloaded installer, or running the installation from the hard drive, the Shared Technologies can fail because of the installation path. Copy the installation files to a folder to the root of the drive, such as C:\PSE<versionnumber>Installer\, and rerun the installation.

My thinking on this is copy the Photoshop Elements 11 Folder and Elements Organizer Folder from the installation disc to the Local Disc C with no intermediate Folder between them and the Local Disc C. Then from there open the Setup.exe file in the Photoshop Elements 11 Folder and run it.

If you are working from some other instructions, and please supply more details about them.

I am currently having a terrible time with Photoshop Elements 12 on desktop Windows 7 64 bit. Tryout and about 3 weeks into the purchased version worked OK. Then suddently I could not open the Editor. I have spent weeks on this and have tried everything and beyond. But, in the spirit of never give up, we continue to explore. So, do not give up. The Shared Technologies was frustrating (been there), but it finally got resolved (or resolved itself)?

Review the individual remedies. At the end of the Adobe thread there are a few consistent claimed to be winners.

I will see if I can find any more. Nealeh usually pops up in these Shared Technologies threads with what worked. I will see if I can find what Nealeh has been posting about this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                    Fanbird Level 1

ATR,

This is the link I was referring to about the copying the file to another location. It wasn't the last link in the previous post but the second one called Online Chat

http://www.dandandin.net/how-to-solve-the-adobe-shared-technologies-failed-install-problem

I have seen this referred to in other post but just needed the path wrote out for me exactly.

Thanks again, I won't give up but I have to say again I did install it when I first got my new laptop the first of the year and uninstalled a lot of programs because I was sending it back for a new screen. Have you heard if anyone has been able to install PRE 11 after reinstalling Window 7 Pro?

• 7. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Vesta

Please remind me. Are you doing the installation from an installation disc or from installation files from online download purchase?

It seems to me that the link that you ask about does that apply to you if you are installing the program via the installation disc. And, I am not sure what I am looking at in that link with regard to the long file name that is shown.

One of the people in the comment section of that article seems to be saying that what I wrote above

My thinking on this is copy the Photoshop Elements 11 Folder and Elements Organizer Folder from the installation disc to the Local Disc C with no intermediate Folder between them and the Local Disc C. Then from there open the Setup.exe file in the Photoshop Elements 11 Folder and run it.

Please check that out to see if you have the same interpretation of this commenting person who had his own way to overcome any issues related to the number of characters in the file path.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                        Fanbird Level 1

ATR,

I have tried from the DVD and from a download, have done the things mentioned in the previous links you supplied and so far nothing has helped. I tried this and did the copy and new folder contruction mentioned in your last post.

One of the people in the comment section of that article seems to be saying that what I wrote above

Please check that out to see if you have the same interpretation of this commenting person who had his own way to overcome any issues related to the number of characters in the file path.

My interpretation was the same and I did not copy Photoshop Elements 11 as it is already on my computer and runs great; it is PRE 11 that I need to install which I copied to new folder.

There have been so maniy diffierent things that have seemly worked for others and I have tried this one: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-installation-photoshop-elements- premiere.html

and the other links included in it as well. I have had no success yet.  I am still leaning to reinstalling Windows 7 Pro from DVD's that were provided from my custom builder; it is such a big step.

Thanks

Vesta

• 9. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Vesta

Did I post the nealeh suggestion that has been posted at least in two different threads. I am not sure if it has worked for other than nealeh. But, it is definitely worth a look.

Here is one of the nealeh comments on Shared Technologies fix (See post 2 in the following thread).

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5567724

Another of nealeh’s comments on this (similar to the one above) is found in post 3 in the following thread).

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5907241

I feel the same way you do about Premiere Elements 11 as I do with my Photoshop Elements 12 whose editor will not open, after blasting from all sides.

With the seemingly erratic nature related to the occurance of your issue, I do not want you to go through the expense of clearing the operating system only to end up with the same problem. But, I understand that you get to a point where you must try.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                            Fanbird Level 1

ATR,

Success  Success i had just gotten your link and went to this link and it is #44 and 45. I went to C:\Program Files (x86) >Common Files>Adobe>right clicked on folder OOBE and renamed it OLDOOBE and closed out and installed PRE11 that I had from an internet download and it worked. I had renamed the file in an earlier try but had changed it to OOBE.bak as instructed in the Adobe link but that did not work.

Thank you so much

Here is the link.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1121947?start=40&tstart=0

• 11. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Vesta

I am so excited about your news of Success. Never give up wins again. And, thanks to Maud Barbara's post.

Wishing you and family all the best for Christmas, New Years and always.

ATR

• 12. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                                Fanbird Level 1

Thanks for the good wishes; I could use some as in July 24th I fell and broke my ankle in three places and am now a member of the plates and screws club after surgery. I still am using a big boot cast and going to therapy and still using a walker but hopefully that day is coming soon when they put me in a smaller boot.

I might add in my path I went to C:\Program Files (x86) >Common Files>Adobe>right clicked on folder OOBE and renamed it OLDOOBE

In Maud Barbara's post she didn't include Adobe folder after Common Files but I assumed that is where she was going so I thought I would mention that again so not to confuse people as to how I arrived at my success.

• 13. Re: How to fix installing problems in PRE 11?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Vesta

Thanks for going into more detail on what worked for you. As I always write, the answers are in the details. What you have gone through and accomplished with Premiere Elements/Shared Technologies will be a big help to all in a similar situation.

Extra prayers are coming your way for a speedy complete recovery from the ankle surgery.

ATR