5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 8:23 AM by sinious

Odd discoloration when exporting gif file

Sketchluck

Hello!

I seem to be having an issue when I export a gif from flash. I have Flash CC and run Win 7 64. When exporting I usually use the option "256 colors" as that retains the original colors much better than "standard colors" does. What happens is, when I am running the gif after it is exported, any white that was used disappears or is discolored.

For example, I am animating a character and he has white teeth. Well when I export the gif, his teeth become the same color as his skin (or perhaps just transparent?) So basically, no white is retained in the final product.

I have tried all I can to figure out why it is doing this and it's very frustrating.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

thank you!

• 1. Re: Odd discoloration when exporting gif file
          sinious Most Valuable Participant

My guess would be because you're allowing Flash to choose the colors, it runs through the animation and selects the 256 colors it feels are used the most often for the palette. White must not be in the top 256 color shades used, so it chooses a color closest to it in replace.

Other programs may be more suitable for exporting to GIF animation. If the rest of the colors are suitable for you, you can use a program like Adobe Fireworks (if you have it) which when saving allows you to tamper with the animations palette. Here's the default Flash rainbow gradient exported into an animated GIF then reimported into Fireworks. Oddly you can see the small number of colors it chose for that complex GIF (less than half it could have). More importantly you also see many spots left to add a color and to add and change colors.

You may want to export a sequence of images from Flash, reimport them into something like Fireworks (or any other in/out process) to control the colors.

• 2. Re: Odd discoloration when exporting gif file
            Sketchluck Level 1

Ok, thank you for the reply. Would there be any way to fix this? When I use the "standard colors" option it badly distorts the rest of the colors used. I haven't found any settings that go into enough detail to fix it, unless there is something I'm missing.

• 3. Re: Odd discoloration when exporting gif file

Other programs may be more suitable for exporting to GIF animation. If the rest of the colors are suitable for you, you can use a program like Adobe Fireworks (if you have it) which when saving allows you to tamper with the animations palette. Here's the default Flash rainbow gradient exported into an animated GIF then reimported into Fireworks. Oddly you can see the small number of colors it chose for that complex GIF (less than half it could have). More importantly you also see many spots left to add a color and to add and change colors.

To be clear, this is the GIF Animation export panel from Fireworks after importing what Flash exported:

addcolor.jpg

You may want to export a sequence of images from Flash, reimport them into something like Fireworks (or any other in/out process) to control the colors.

• 4. Re: Odd discoloration when exporting gif file
                Sketchluck Level 1

Alright, I was afraid I would have to do that. Wow, you would think that flash should be able to handle one of it's own features.

Thank you very much for your time and for helping me with this

• 5. Re: Odd discoloration when exporting gif file

I imagine the feature set will continue to get better and better, although GIF animation has been on the way out quite a while. At least this should help you through.

If you're all set please mark any helpful/correct so we can filter unanswered questions. You're welcome and good luck!