5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 2:40 PM by smtid

Layers are missing when a tiff or psd image is re-opened in cs6

smtid

A few days ago I worked on 20 images in cs6. Some required 10+ layers. Each image was saved as either a psd or tiff. When saving I ALWAYS had "Save: Layers" checked.

Today I re-opened them in cs6. Some of the images had the layers intact. Others didn't. Only the background layer was visible although all the image changes were still there. This occurred in images saved as tiff as well as psd. At no time were any of the images saved as PDF.

Why are my layers disappearing?

Is there a way to recover them?

Thanks for any assistance.

P.S. - I've been reading related questions in support but haven't found any answers.

• 1. Re: Layers are missing when a tiff or psd image is re-opened in cs6
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

When layers are gone they are gone, no matter what trigegred their flattening in the first place. At this point its irrelevant. The only glimemr of hope may be that you may have used layer comps and be on one that has all your layers hidden/ removed, but otehrwise I see no way of retrieving your data.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Layers are missing when a tiff or psd image is re-opened in cs6
            smtid Level 1

Thanks for answering the recovery part. My more pressing question is why? how? this happened in the first place? And what can I do to avoid it ever happening again?

• 3. Re: Layers are missing when a tiff or psd image is re-opened in cs6
              smtid Level 1

Figured out why the layers were disappearing!! When I converted the ICC profile, there is a dialogue box with "conversion options." One option is to "flatten image" which I had never noticed before--and realized it was checked. Solution!!

• 4. Re: Layers are missing when a tiff or psd image is re-opened in cs6
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

The first thing I was going to ask was if you saved as PDF earlier, but then I noticed you specifically said not in your first post.  I have lost two layered high res images in the last couple of months due to getting mixed up after exporting to PDF for print.  I still don't know how it happened, but I have to assume user error.

I also note you are using CS6 which has the JDI features, so saving as a JPG would not have flaterened the layers.  I almost never use TIFF as it feels better to use PSD as it is the native format, and it limits the opertunity to mess up.  So I am not being very helpful.  If you absolutely didn't save out as JPG or PFD or similar, then you have to start thinking bug, but I have never heard of this happening outside of user error.

[EDIT]  Whoops.  Overlap.  I called for my breakfast half way through typing my answer.  Glad you got it fixed

• 5. Re: Layers are missing when a tiff or psd image is re-opened in cs6
                  smtid Level 1

Trevor.Dennis - Thank you! Very much your reply and willingness to help.

It was strange that in all the searches I did on both Google and Adobe that no one had mentioned the "convert ICC profile" as a possible problem. The PDF option had come up. Also whether the "Save As" included "layers" - but absolutely nowhere had anyone mentioned the potentially problematic "convert to profile" as a source of the difficulty. So -- hours after encountering the 'lost layers' problem and searching for answers I am so pleased to have figured out why it happened and can only hope that someone else searching for answers for this problem finds this discussion.

Thank you again Trevor.Dennis