14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 1:23 AM by Danny Whitehead.

Gradient Text in Indesign error

eap_designs Level 1

Hello, I remember having issues with gradient text in the very first version of Indesign that had gradient text capability, I don't remember if it was CS2 or CS4, but it was about 6 years ago. I just had it happen again. It's frustrating to me, that after so many versions of Indesign that gradient text is still having trouble. It looks fine in indesign, and in the PDF that I send to the printer, however, when printed in the magazine, the shadow is on top of the gradient text.

I built this ad in Indesign CC. The HOLIDAY SPECIAL is a font that is changed to outlines, the gradient was inserted in that version. Then a copy was made and changed to black, for the drop shadow and moved behind it. This is all done in CMYK, saved as the ad document. Then the document was placed in another indesign document, which is the 18 page magazine. It is output to a pdf (which looks fine) and goes via FTP to a printer.  (It is a similar magazine, but I different printer than when I had the problem 6 years ago)

I looked thru my back issues and realized that it printed correctly 2 years ago. I went back into my archived files, to discover, that I had taken the line of text with the gradient and exported it as a PDF and then placed it in Indesign.

So I have my fix for the problem, but I'm still frustrated that Indesign has had the gradient text capability for so many years but it is still not reliable when it goes thru prepress for print. If someone from Adobe wishes to investigate this further, I can give you more details about my PDF settings which are recommended by the printer or any other info that might be helpful.

Thanks, Elaine

Pac Island PDF.jpgPac Island booboo.jpg

• 1. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you do the whole magazine, or are ou submitting this ad to someone else?

What export settings are you using to export the finished ad?

• 2. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error

And how does it print in-house from the PDF?

• 3. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
              Danny Whitehead. Level 4

How does it look in InDesign with Overprint Preview switched on? Just trying to eliminate an overprinted fill.

• 4. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
                eap_designs Level 1

Thank you all for your help. To start at the first reply,

I do the whole magazine. It is simple 16 pages of ads which are mostly my design.

I export using a set of PDF export setting provided by the printer. Basically, the standard in none, compatibility is Acrobat 5, It calls for no color conversion, but I often change that to export to CMYK if I have any problems with preflighting from Indesign. Sometimes I get pre-designed ads from people and often they are not CMYK.

It does compress to 450 for color & greyscale and 1800 for monochrome images, but that is mute, as I change everything to 300 dpi CMYK, whenever possible.  It has no marks, but does give it a .25 bleed.

It prints fine for me, or the salesperson, either way it is just a typical ink jet printer

With Overprint Preview switched on it displays just the way it is printing to the press it PUTS THE SHADOW ABOVE THE GRADIENT TEXT. So cudos to Danny Whitehead, he is on to something, but I must admit, I don't understand overprint fill. Would someone enlighten me please.

Thanks so much all!

Elaine

• 5. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error

Can you verify that the box for Object Knocks out Shadow is checked for this text in the effects dialog...

• 6. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
                    eap_designs Level 1

Actually, no, because it is not a shadow. I always check that when I'm making a shadow using the drop shadow in Effects, however, these are no longer text. It is text that has been converted to paths, then copied, and a black copy placed behind it to do a sharp drop shadow.

• 7. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Elaine – select the some of the text filled with the gradient and look at your "Attributes Panel".

Here in my german UI you can spot the difference:

1. Selected text that does is not ticked to "Overprint Fill":

OverprintFill-NOT-SET.png

2. Here some text is selected that is:

OverprintFill-SET.png

Uwe

• 8. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error

eap_designs wrote:

It is text that has been converted to paths, then copied, and a black copy placed behind it to do a sharp drop shadow.

And that might be the problem. Check the Arrtibutes panel for the gradient text and make sure overprint fill isn't checked...

• 9. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
                          eap_designs Level 1

No Laubender, attibutes panel didn't help, as it isn't actual text but outlines.

I read something on overprint fill in Adobe support. I checked my Indesign Preferences, Appearance of Black, I have overprinting of black checked. So now, I have a question.

Should I uncheck that box, or should I just keep my overprint preview on, and in the future, when I'm putting black behind, use a built black, not the default 100% black?

• 10. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error

Just because the text is now filled outlines doesn't mean it can't be set to overprint...

As far as the default [Black] being set to overprint, that's fine -- i tmeans black text on top of other things will overprint, which is waht you normally would want. Color on top of [Black ] would knock it out unless it was set to overprint in the Attributes.

• 11. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error

@Elaine – you could also do something with one of the swatches, that build the gradient.

Just add 1% of black to one of the swatches and effectively it will not overprint anymore. And one percent of black cannot hurt…

1. Changing swatch's color definition (preview of the panel is OFF, change is still not applied):

PreviewOff-ColorOfGradientWith1Black.png

2. Preview of the panel is ON NOW (change is still not applied):

PreviewOn-ColorOfGradientWith1Black.png

Uwe

• 12. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
                                eap_designs Level 1

I just went into the attributes panel, and unchecked OVERPRINT FILL, and it looks fine now in overprint view. I tried recreating it and it seems consistent.

So I learned today to watch my Overprint preview and my attributes pallette today.

Thank you all, I'm freelancing from home. I'm one person working on several of these magazines, so Ineed someone to turn to for help and you have all been very helpful.

• 13. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error

And, if there are other colors involved, like the green in your background (consisting of Cyan and Yellow), make sure, that all CMYK colors in your gradient fill have at least a 1% value to make that work.

In my example there are two bright colors building the gradient. They originally included Magenta and Yellow only. No Black. No Cyan.

If you set such a colored object to "Fill Overprint", every other object on the same spot beneath it will show through in the not used colors Cyan and Black.

So here another example with a Cyan background object where 1% Black is added (but not 1% Cyan!):

Bildschirmfoto 2013-12-16 um 19.43.19.png

And here the same example with 1% Black AND 1% Cyan. As you can see, now all CMYK colors are involved in the gradient fill that is set to overprint. No chance for overprint to have an optical effect:

Bildschirmfoto 2013-12-16 um 19.43.37.png

Uwe

• 14. Re: Gradient Text in Indesign error
                                    Danny Whitehead. Level 4

So I learned today to watch my Overprint preview and my attributes pallette today.

Yes, that's a very valuable lesson. The problem you had is very common indeed, especially in logos created in Illustrator (so much so that I think we all guessed it was something more complicated). 100% black text automatically overprints, and that attribute sticks after it's been converted to paths for tweaking. Keeping Overprint Preview switched on all the time will probably slow you down somewhat, but it's always worth checking over you work with it switched on from time to time. And when you've made the PDF for output, check it in Acrobat (Tools - Output Preview - Check 'Simulate Overprinting'). Also, having a printer capable of honouring your overprints is also very useful, but I guess you don't get that with non-Postscript inkjets.