2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2007 10:52 PM by INVT

Action Script Basics character defintions

INVT Level 1
      I have been using Flash since 4 and have been doing some basic action script but nothing to right home about.

I read alot on these forums and cannot even udnerstand the exchange of feed back half the time. I have done tutorials but just end up gettting what they told me to do not necassarily understanding how I go there or what I did.

I have a dvd trainig that I am taking a stab at but its the meaning or theory behind the actual programming that I am looking for. What do the characters mean where could I use them and in what situation.

I have to see how its done before I can do it. What I woudl like to be able to do with soem hard work is to do what I want to see.

I keep thinking I need to take a class on computer programming but I am not sure that is the answer since time is not plentiful at the moment.

Lets just say I don't know anything about programming action script. Is there a book that starts me from the beginning or basic scripts that illustrate basic building blocks of action script like what are operators or when they are used or even a DVD that explains each individual book in the flash action script library and what they are used for. Going back to school is not an option. I am affraid I need to force feed this to myself but I'm ready for it.

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: Action Script Basics character defintions
          WhiteRau
          no worries. there's lots out there to get you going. Lynda.com is a sweet place for all kinds of brilliantly clear instruction material. i use her stuff for my staff and they work! Senocular.com, gotoAndLearn.com, flash-creations.com, and actionscript.org are all excellent places to get you running on solid ground.

specifically i recommend the following books (and we use them here at my studio):

- Flash 8 ActionScipt by Jobe Makar and Danny Patterson
          ----> right from Macromedia, it's a good primer to get you into the code itself

- Flash Professional 8 : Hands-On Training
          ----> get it from Lynda.com or from a local bookstore like Chapters or Barnes&Noble

- Flash Professional 8: Beyond the Basics : Hands-On Training
          ----> get it from Lynda.com or from a local bookstore like Chapters or Barnes&Noble

- Macromedia Flash 8 ADVANCED by Russell Chun and H. Paul Robertson
          ----> a great book to get you moving towards more complex code and concepts.

i hope this was useful. there are plenty more resources out there, but this should be sufficient to choke you good for a while. :D

NB :)
          • 2. Re: Action Script Basics character defintions
            INVT Level 1
            Thanks I'll check these out.