3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 2:21 PM by Trevor.Dennis

Removing green behind hair

bfcreativenyc1 Level 1

Hi,

Attached is an image where I removed a green screen in the background behind the two people. However, some green remains behind the hair of the instructor. How can that be removed? Thanks!

DSC_0021.jpg

• 1. Re: Removing green behind hair
          Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the Photoshop forum. They will be able to help you here.

• 2. Re: Removing green behind hair
            Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lots of ways you could tackle this.  One is by using the layer's blend if sliders, but this would be better to do in L*A*B* and create a mask that you could import back into your original document.  You could also make a hue/saturation adjustment layer and target the green and shift its hue to match that of the hair, you could use the edge refine tools to refine the mask.

• 3. Re: Removing green behind hair
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I would have thought that the Refine Edge 'refine radius' brush would work well with some of those big green holes in the hair, but I just tried it and didn't get a great result.  I would still expect it to work well on a higher res version of the image, and you could fix most of what is left with 'Decontaminate colours'.

But I love doing it with a hue/sat layer as Chuck suggested.  It never ceases to amaze me how well you can target a problem area with either the drop-down (and changing RGB to green) or using the eye dropper to select a colour range.  You can often leave it at that without having to use the layer mask because the restof the image appears unaffected, but it is a moment's work to invert the msk and paint back in if you need to.  The same trick also works well with CAs, although the CA removal tool in ACR became amazingly good with CS6, and we can now access it in CC via the filter menu, if we miss a CA when processing the RAW file.

Just one of so many reasons why folk should continue to keep on the upgrade path, and take out a CC subscription.