5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2007 7:31 AM by Newsgroup_User

Program hangs or takes extremely longt o load

Heych
      Hi there,

Lately I have started to get problems with Director projectors taking extremely long to startup.

I am using Director MX2004 10.1r16 on Windows XP Pro SP2,

I have done extensive testing trying to figure out what could cause the problem and I still have no idea what causes it or how to fix it. The following gives detail about the problem:

1. The problem occurs at random, but when it occurs it can be replicated on all computers on our network and with any application created by Director.
      2. The problem seems to continue for anything from a couple of minutes to hours.
      3. It only happens when I am connected to the internet. We have a Wireless network at the office with a ADSL2+ router/modem. I have tested this by starting a projector when I know the problem occurs, the projector seems to hang. Then when I disconnect the wireless network it continues to load and the program starts. After I have disconnected all projectors seem to start without problems.
      4. I have tested this with projectors created over a year ago and I also created new projectors with no xtras included and no code except a "go to frame" in a exitFrame handler and the problem happens on all of them.
      5. The program hangs before any of my code starts executing. I have tested this by placing a splash screen bitmap with the same name as the projector in the projector's folder. When the program hangs and I open the Task Manager I see Macromedia Splash Screen as one of the running tasks. (The hanging occurs with or without a splash screen).
      6. I have also created projectors with Director MX 2004 v10.0, 10.1r11 and 10.1r16 and all give the same problem.
      7. The problem occurs on Windows XP Pro SP2 and Vista machines
      8. I have not yet checked what happens when a computer is connected to the router with a cable (this might rule out the wireless connection and point to any internet connection being the problem)
      9. To make things worse Director also failed to launch when the connection is active and it works again when I disconnect.
      10. I have also noticed that when I run a program in Director authoring mode during a time when the problem is experienced, it also start extremely slowly.
      11. Once the program eventually opens it runs at normal speed but when I close it, it hangs again for a while before closing the window and removing the taskbar entry.
      12. I have not tested this conclusively but it seems that the problem only happens at the office.
      13. I have installed the original Director MX2004 and all upgrades and the problem happened with all projectors.
      14. It does not happen every day. I think I started noticing it about 3 weeks ago and it might have happened 5 times since then.

I will continue to try and narrow down exactly where, when and hopefully why it happens. I anyone has any suggestions of what to check or what might cause this I would really appreciate it. Has any one ever heard of something like this happening?

Thanks,

Jan
        • 1. Re: Program hangs or takes extremely longt o load
          Level 7

"Heych" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fjbfpr$469$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi there,
          >
          > Lately I have started to get problems with Director projectors
          > taking
          > extremely long to startup.
          >
          > I am using Director MX2004 10.1r16 on Windows XP Pro SP2,
          >
          > I have done extensive testing trying to figure out what could cause
          > the
          > problem and I still have no idea what causes it or how to fix it.
          > The following
          > gives detail about the problem:
          >
          > 1. The problem occurs at random, but when it occurs it can be
          > replicated on
          > all computers on our network and with any application created by
          > Director.
          > 2. The problem seems to continue for anything from a couple of
          > minutes to
          > hours.
          > 3. It only happens when I am connected to the internet. We have a
          > Wireless
          > network at the office with a ADSL2+ router/modem. I have tested this
          > by
          > starting a projector when I know the problem occurs, the projector
          > seems to
          > hang. Then when I disconnect the wireless network it continues to
          > load and the
          > program starts. After I have disconnected all projectors seem to
          > start without
          > problems.

[snip]

> 10. I have also noticed that when I run a program in Director
          > authoring mode
          > during a time when the problem is experienced, it also start
          > extremely slowly.

[snip]

> 12. I have not tested this conclusively but it seems that the
          > problem only
          > happens at the office.

[snip]

>
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jan
          >

Hello Jan,
          I dont know what the problem is, but from the points I quoted above it
          looks like there is something wrong in your network at the office.
          If also other programs suffer from the same problem then it must me a
          system-wide problem, not a Director problem.

I know Windows can act strangely when it cannot find things on the
          network, sometimes Explorer seems to "hang" looking for computers on
          the network.

I would suggest replacing the wireless connection with cables and see
          if it solves the problem.
          I have a feeling it will...

Richard.

• 2. Re: Program hangs or takes extremely longt o load
            Level 7
            This may sound far fetched, but it's fixed this problem for me, and I've
            suggested it before on this forum and was told it was the trick.

You may have a printer on your network that your computer is trying to
            connect to and it's having a problem. If you have an attached printer that
            when you try to print to it, it gives an error, this could be the problem.
            Have you had a printer installed on your network where you tried to attach
            to and it didn't quite jive, but you didn't uninstall the drivers?

Good Luck,
            Timm

• 3. Re: Program hangs or takes extremely longt o load
              Heych Level 1
              Hi Richard,

I only observed the hanging with either Director itself or with projectors created with Director. No other program exibited the same behaviour.

Thanks,

Jan
              • 4. Re: Program hangs or takes extremely longt o load
                Heych Level 1
                Hi Timm,

Your suggestion might not be so far fetched, since we were experiencing problems with the network printer lately. When the problem occurs again I will uninstall the printer from one of the computers and see if it fixes the problem.

Are you saying that you experienced the exact same problem I am having? It will be great if that solves the problem.

Thanks,

Jan
                • 5. Re: Program hangs or takes extremely longt o load
                  Level 7
                  I would say that item by item, those are almost the exact same symptoms as I
                  was having.

Director and projectors can print a frame without any custom xtras.

Timm

"Heych" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:fjcjcv$dg7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Hi Timm,
                  >
                  > Your suggestion might not be so far fetched, since we were experiencing
                  > problems with the network printer lately. When the problem occurs again I
                  > will
                  > uninstall the printer from one of the computers and see if it fixes the
                  > problem.
                  >
                  > Are you saying that you experienced the exact same problem I am having? It
                  > will be great if that solves the problem.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Jan
                  >