10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 6:56 AM by the_wine_snob

Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found

aludog

There were no results for Project Asset Red Green Arrows? I imported and edited a fair amount of video from one file folder and edited it and rendered. Then I imported about the same number of video clips from another file folder and they time line won't find the media? A box appears and asks me where it is, but it will not accept it when I find and select. The second batch of media remains off line. I am guessing I need to assemble all clips in one file folder? whats going on here and how do I over come it? thanks

• 1. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
          nealeh Level 5

No, you can have assets from multiple folders (although if you do create a single folder structure for a project, it makes archiving & backing up the project far simpler). Was that second folder perhaps on a removable disk that may have had its drive letter changed when you next used it?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
            aludog Level 1

HI and thanks.

I did import the entire file folder from an external hard drive, but the file folder and all contents, media etc. are on the desktop now.

So, all the media from the first batch of clips and the second batch of clips reside on this computer now.

Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you've moved your media files since starting your project, you're going to have to reconnect them to your project file.

Close your project and then re-open it. When the program asks your help locating the media files, browse to the desktop folder or folders where you're keeping them.

Your media files must be on your computer throughout your project in order for the program to include them in your project!

• 4. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
                A.T. Romano Level 7

aludog

The bottom line is that you cannot move or delete source media that went into a project after you have saved closed the project. Otherwise, you will run into a nasty media reconnect situation characterized by those "Where is the file.....?" when you go to reopen the project. Those messages can be used for reconnecting the missing media. Replace Footage feature can also be used for replacing missing media. More on that another time. Let us focus on the "Where is the file....?" for now.

When you import media from the hard drive into a project, you end up with copies, not the originals, in Project Assets. And, those copies need to trace make to the hard drive location where the originals are and where the program recognizes them..

Reflecting back, do you see any place in your workflow when you could have moved or deleted the source media that went into the project after you saved closed it?

Another possibilities that should not be overlooked (as nealeh mentioned), if you are importing your media from an external hard drive, the drive letter of the drive could have change by itself unexpectedly. Did you see such a drive letter change if that scenario fits what you have?

And, if you have existing projects using the media that you are planning on "organizing", beware of what your "re-organization" may end up doing to your other projects, for example, lots of reconnects because of this action.

Please review and let us know if any of what has been mentioned applies to your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

aludog

I did not see your subsequent reply and that of SG until after I had posted.

ATR

• 6. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
                    aludog Level 1

Thanks, yes, I understand they need to be on the computer so the program can include them.

They are, but for some reason the program is not finding them.

I'm copying them (again) from the external drive into the same file folder as the first batch now. Will let you know if that solves.

jb

• 7. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The Windows Desktop Folder has some special properties, and some programs do not do a good job at accessing that. I would look into placing your media files below the Project's "root folder." This article will give you some tips on setting up folder structures: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028199#4028199

For some background on the Project file (.PREL), and some discussion on media files and links to those files, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837 The links to media files are absolute, and if any part of the Path, defined in those links, is broken, one should get "Where is file____ ?" For more info on that dialog, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

For Media Offline, this article has some tips: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/790686?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
                        aludog Level 1

Thank you for all of your help.

Please allow me to simplify.

The "where is the file" pop up window is up and asks for a certain clip.

I locate that clip and click on it.....then click "select".

nothing changes.

If I click on the clip it asks for and click 'find' nothing happens.

So, the clip/media is there but it appears I do not understand how to operate the "where is the file" window.

should I just click "find" and it will find itself?

the problem is no matter which way I go, the "where is the file" window disappears and I have to shut it down and open it again to try again.

Thanks. you guys are very informative, but I'm not far into this project and I could use time better by maybe starting over?

aloha

jb

• 9. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
                          aludog Level 1

did not see this post before posting below. If the path is broken, for whatever reason, do not pass GO. Got it.

thanks.

will start over.....

aloha

JB

• 10. Re: Project Assets Red Green Arrows and media not found
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Aloha,

Yes, the absolute Path is very important. The "Where is file ___ ?" usually offers a method to relink to the new Path. It should work fine, if you Move the Assets from that Desktop Folder, to a regular folder on the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).

Usually, PrE is quite smart, and when the first unlinked Asset, in that folder, has been relinked, PrE will look in that folder for all other unlinked Assets, relinking, as it goes.

One can also do the relinking manually, if absolutely necessary, by using Replace Media, however, that will be for each unlinked Asset. It works, but depending on the number of unlinked Assets, can require a bunch of clicking.

If you do start over, think about that suggested folder setup. It is not the only possibility, but does make aspects of life much simpler. One does give up a bit of ultimate performance, but only if one has many, very fast, separate physical HDD's. The beauty of that scheme is that when the Project is done, the editor only has to Delete the Project's "root folder," also Deleting all sub-folders at the same time, rather than navigating several HDD's, manually Deleting the folders with the Assets.

Good luck, and hope that things get sorted out 100%.

Hunt