8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 7:33 AM by Rick Gerard

render settings

rgmck

Hello

I'm looking for some very basic help with affter effects cs6 on macbook pro.  I have a file created in photoshop and exported to a jpg.  The size is A3 landsape and is 3308 pixels x 2339 pixels.

I am trying to use after effects to do some simple animation, camera movements, text and sound. 

The finished video will be put on to a disk and viewed on computer screens -  it is not just intended for the web.

So far when I have tried various different settings for composition settings and render settings but each time I have rendered it, the images either come out blurry or the video is 'jittery' and doesn't run smoothly.

Clearly I am going very wrong somewhere.

Originally I was using

output module - h.24 and render settings- best settings

I would really appreciate an help with this.

Thanks!

Ruth

• 1. Re: render settings
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

The finished video will be put on to a disk and viewed on computer screens...
          the images either come out blurry or the video is 'jittery' and doesn't run smoothly...

Originally I was using

output module - h.24 and render settings- best settings

Let's take these in order:

What KIND of disk?

When they came out blurry, was it h.264? Did you then change how you were rendering, which made the video look lit it was running in fits & starts?

What are the horizontal & vertical dimensions of tyour comp and its frame rate?

And what is the playback device?

• 2. Re: render settings
            rgmck Level 1

Thanks for your reply

A dvd-r disk (for university submission purposes)

Using the following settings it was blurry -

comp settings - HDV 1080 25

w- 1440

h- 1080

frame rate 25

render settings - h.264 and best settings

I have also used comp settings HDV 1080 29.97 (blurry)

I have also used a custom comp size the same as the image file which is 3308 x 2339 and I made sure that the frame rate was always the same in comp settings and render queue settings.(blurry)

Play back device - my macbook automatically opens the .mp4 file with quicktime player.

• 3. Re: render settings
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Since it's going to DVD, the completed project will be standard-definition -- a 16x9 SD DVD, and presumably at 25fps --  and it won't look as good as the original.  That can't be helped.    You'll need to create an authored DVD, which is one that works in a normal DVD player.  It uses a set standard, which is mpeg2 video files.  You can create a lossless file in AE. and use Adobe media encoder to make the video & audio files to be used in the authoring process.  Or if you havre the peoper AE version, send the comp to Adobe Media Encoder to do the same thing.

There are many DVD authoring applications out there, and Adobe Encore is among them.

I can't explain the blurriness, unless you're not looking at your AE comp in something like half, third or quarter resolution.  If you're not experienced in using AE, it can happen.  Things can also appear to be blurred if you scale them down: there just isn't the same detail in a scaled-down image as there is in one at full-scale, and you might be misinterpreting that "grease-on-the-lens" look known as blurriness as not being able to see all the detail.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: render settings
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are working for a computer display, then you need to use the pixel resolution of the common computer display. A3 is way too big. The best option for your project, and I've done this kind of thing a lot, is to render your projects to the Youtube HD 1080p preset in the Adobe media encoder. Your comp should also be 1920 x 1080 pixels. Your artwork should be an even number of pixels high and wide, and sized so that you never need to scale the artwork above 100% in your composition.

The user would then simply play the MP4 file on his computer. Personally I would put it in the webpage container, so instructions and the ability to view this video full screen would be an option. I would also post videos on Vimeo or YouTube to make sharing as easy as possible for everyone in the group.

• 5. Re: render settings
                  rgmck Level 1

Thanks

The composition should be 1920 x 1080 in AE comp settings, with a frame rate of 25 and the present set to custom?

Art work should be square,

It is now 3308 x 2339 which I currently need to scale down in AE but instead it should required no scaling when put in AE.

so if an even number of pixels is required for the artwork, the maximum would be 1080 x1080?

• 6. Re: render settings

The size of the artwork if it is to completely fill the screen should be the same as the size of your comp. If, however, you want to push in on a portion of the artwork that part of the artwork should be the same width as your comp. The point is that you should design your artwork so that you do not have to scale it past 100% in your composition. If the artwork is constantly moving you can get by with scaling to approximately 120%, but if it is static, the best option is to have your artwork no more than 100% scale.

I hope that makes sense. It gets a little harder to figure out mathematically when you are working with 3-D layers, but the same size issues still apply. A composition where the artwork is scaled down to fit or moved farther away from the camera than the zoom value of the camera lens is not going to look as good as artwork that does not have to be scaled or moved away from the camera to fit in the project.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: render settings
                      rgmck Level 1

Ok, the problem is that the artwork is set up like a comic book, so a double page spread (currently 3308 x 2339 ) but then I am using cameras to zoom in on each image within the page.  The small images within the page do not need to fill the screen completely but they do need to be significantly zoomed in on.

My computer screen resolution is 1440 x 900.

Do the small images within the artwork need to be 1440 x 900 to allow for them camera to zoom in without scaling the artwork beyond 100% ?

In this case, the overall art work size needs to be much larger than 1440 x 900 ?

test page example.jpg

• 8. Re: render settings

If you wanted to fill the screen with the top left corner image and that portion of your artwork should be the same width as your composition.

if you wanted to fill your composition with the image of the watch at the bottom center of your sample, that image should be the same width as your composition.

I would not recommend a project that is 1440 pixels wide, 1920 would be the minimum. You want to work in standard HD right now for all projects because that is most universal standard.

I think your workflow is a little inefficient. If it were my project I would have each of the images in your collage as a separate file and do the layout in after effects. If you've already laid everything out in Photoshop, I would import your Photoshop project as a composition maintaining layer sizes. That is assuming that each one of the images in your collage is on a separate layer.

I hope this helps.