20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 9:09 PM by Lundberg02

LR 5.3 Trial

Lundberg02 Level 3

I currently have PSCS 5.1 and ACR 6.7  I have downloaded the Lightroom 5,3 trial. If I install ACR 8.3 to use with it, will it wipe out my 6.7 somehow so that I can't use it in PS, or will only install as a plugin to Lightroom. I ask out of an excess of caution. I don't think it will actually do anything to a PS version it isn't compatible with.

• 1. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
          Ashutosh.Nigam Adobe Employee

Your assumption is correct.

8.3 is compatible with CC and CS6 only. You cannot install it with PS CS5.1.

Regards,

Ashutosh

• 2. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

ACR 8.3 will only work with PS-CS6, PS-CC and PSE12.  It’ll do you no good to try to install it.  Even if you extract the plug-in from the installer, rename it, and put it in the same folder, you’ll get a message that it isn’t compatible.

• 3. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
              Lundberg02 Level 3

After further  googling, I believe that Lightroom contains ACR 8.3 as a plugin ver 2.3 or something like that.

I hope some Adobe cat will verify this. I've never used LR but it seems logical that it would be included automatically.

• 4. Re: LR 5.3 Trial

LR does not use the Photoshop ACR plug-in.

LR 5.3 contains the Camera Raw engine 8.3 as compiled code within itself. 

The Adobe Camera Raw Photoshop plug-in contains the Camera Raw engine 8.3 as code within itself.

What are you thinking of doing that leads to your questions on the forums?

• 5. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                  deejjjaaaa Level 2

> LR does not use the Photoshop ACR plug-in.

it actually does in one particular case when it needs to pass the image to PS - there was a note from Eric Chan quite recently that you can try google up to see the details.

• 6. Re: LR 5.3 Trial

Photoshop uses the ACR plug-in, LR only sends the settings to Photoshop. 

The ACR plug-in can participate in an workflow containing LR and PS, but does not affect LR, itself.

• 7. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, Lightroom does not use ACR, ever. When an image is sent from Lightroom to Photoshop, Photoshop users ACR to interpret the adjustments that have been made in Lightroom. By Lightroom doesn't use Camera Raw. That's why it's possible to use Lightroom with an external editor not provided by Adobe. In that instance, Camera Raw need not be installed on the computer at all.

• 8. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                        deejjjaaaa Level 2

> The ACR plug-in can participate in an workflow containing LR and PS, but does not affect LR, itself.

indeed...

• 9. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                          deejjjaaaa Level 2

> No, Lightroom does not use ACR, ever. When an image is sent from Lightroom to Photoshop, Photoshop users ACR to interpret the adjustments that have been made in Lightroom.

well, about the exact wording then used by Eric Chan.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=78240.msg632284#msg632284

"...To clarify:  When Lightroom uses "Edit in Photoshop" to send images to Ps without requiring writing an intermediate TIFF/PSD out to disk, this requires using the Camera Raw plug-in.  No, it doesn't call up the ACR interface, of course (i.e., this is all happening behind the scenes), but it is the one time when it's using the ACR plug-in instead of Lightroom's own internal imaging logic.  The reason this matters is that if you have an older version of ACR that doesn't support the features you're trying to use in Lr's Develop, then the handoff from Lr to Ps won't work properly (at that point, you'd have to render your Develop edits into an intermediate PSD/TIFF in order for the edits to be reflected properly in the image you see in Ps)...."

• 10. Re: LR 5.3 Trial

It seems that you still don't understand. Lightroom itself does not utilize the camera raw plug-in at all. It simply doesn't. Lightroom sends the raw image data and Lightroom changes directly to Photoshop. Photoshop cannot read raw image data, so Photoshop invokes Camera Raw to interpret the adjustments that were sent to it from Lightroom.

When you have an older version of Camera Raw, Lightroom knows that Photoshop cannot receive the raw image data by utilizing camera raw, so that is why it is programmed in that instance to create an interim tiff or PSD. There simply is no way for you to invoke Camera Raw at all under any circumstance from Lightroom.

• 11. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                              deejjjaaaa Level 2

> It seems that you still don't understand.

actually it is you who don't understand (or rather pretend to) that it is a matter of wording :-)... I was referring to this wording "but it is the one time when it's using the ACR plug-in instead", w/o any futher implications about how it is done that you imagined on my behalf... now technically in the code that might be done in a number of different ways of course, but it really boils down to the fact that LR is using ACR in that particular scenario (directly or not /by instructing PS that no rendered file exists - so please invoke your ACR to work with the raw data+parameters/, but LR own code does not do any raw conversion and post conversion parametric adjustments) to "edit" the image in PS... so we are quite right (have the right, if it suits you more) to use the wording that I was referring to.

• 12. Re: LR 5.3 Trial

Okay, have it your way. We are probably kicking the same ball around. But Lightroom does not/cannot use Camera Raw. I will not comment in this thread again.

• 13. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                                  deejjjaaaa Level 2

> But Lightroom does not/cannot use Camera Raw.

in your definition of "using" no, but there are many definitions

> I will not comment in this thread again.

we can settle on the words from ssprengel = "The ACR plug-in can participate in an workflow containing LR and PS", with a note that is used by PS because LR invokes PS that way (requiring PS to use ACR) for the above mentioned reasons, happy ?

• 14. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                                    Lundberg02 Level 3

What am I planning to do in Lightroom 5.3 trial? I'm planning to use it to see if I like it by opening some raw images and editing them. Will it do that or will it try to send them to CC or CS6 that I don't have?

I have seen lots of opinions on Lightroom from hatred to praise. I don't want to open the trial and start the 30 days before I have a better understanding of its limitations. I have read the LR 5.3 is much improved. I detest forced catalogging, so if it does that it's a no go. Also if it has a "modern" grey or black UI, forget it. My old eyes can't handle that.

• 15. Re: LR 5.3 Trial

I suppose it's best to get one thing out of the way right now. Lightroom functions using a catalog or database. There is no way getting around it. And if you truly detest catalogs then I don't want to tell you. It has the modern gray/black UI. Again, sounds like you had better forget it. Since it already has two strikes against it, I see no point in discussing capabilities or limitations. But, personally, it's my main post processing program.

• 16. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                                        deejjjaaaa Level 2

get PS (+ACR by default) - no DAM and it has off white interface by default... $10 a month... at least so far... plus  you will get LR subscription within the same package

• 17. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                                          Lundberg02 Level 3

I installed the trial and gave it a shot. Unreadable UI, forced catalog.  5 minute hate mandatory.

I have PSCS5 with ACR 6.7.  Adobe claims to support my Fuji camera as far back as ACR 6.4 but it actually doesn't, it really only supports lems correction for the Fuji X100 as far as I can tell right now. LR 5.3 has the same limitation, except that the Quick Develop mode does take out the lens distortion for some reason that the Develop mode doesn't have. Bur Quick Develop only offers the basic tools. The catalog view doesn't have labels. How crazy is that? you only see the filename if you rollover and the rollonver is not reliable. It either doesn't show or it flickers until you get it exactly right.

I can't find anything in google that tells me why ACR 8.3 is better than 6.7. It seems to be just added cameras, which I would take with a cup of salt.

The feature I like is the perspective correction. It will do it with one click  and level the image at the same time.

• 18. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                                            deejjjaaaa Level 2

> I can't find anything in google that tells me why ACR 8.3 is better than 6.7.

may i suggest the following web page = http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/topics/camera-raw.html  , to start with

• 19. Re: LR 5.3 Trial

If you are satisfied with what you have now, and are familiar with your workflow that I would just stick with it. Lightroom and the Camera Raw functions just continue to improve. But there's no sense in trying to convince you if you feel that you are complete with what you have already.

• 20. Re: LR 5.3 Trial
                                                Lundberg02 Level 3

Hey, good page, thanks.

I am officially renaming Lightroom as Eyestrain.  The UI is awful, but I did find that you can enable labels in Catalog view.