6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 7:30 AM by Laubender

Copies of Indesign books works different on MAC and PC ?

Daté TETEGAN Level 1

Hello everyone,

i try to follow many discussion about how to create a clean copy of an Indesign book indb (with different chapters which are individual indesign files)  with no link to the old one.

I found many tricks like changing the name of the original folder or packaging the book for print, but i'm not really satisfy by this way. 

The first way forced me to change the name of the original file each time i want to make a clean copy and the second way  will not keep the structure of my folder and subfolders which are not included in the package.

It seems the real concern is more about how Indesign is able to manage absolute and relative path, and i also found some people asking Indesign only works with absolute path.

But, after many trials on Mac and PC, i was so surprised to check that on my MAC, thinks are working very well, when i make a copy of the original book folder exactly in the same location, the copy is not linked to the original file (that's what i want) !!!

But on PC it doesn't, the copy of the book is still linked to the original files.

Can someone tell  me the difference between MAC and PC ?

Is it an option in Indesign to change that ? or is it related to th OS file system ?

Thanks a lot.

Daté

• 1. Re: Copies of Indesign books works different on MAC and PC ?
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I was so surprised to check that on my MAC, thinks are working very well, when i make a copy of the original book folder exactly in the same location, the copy is not linked to the original file (that's what i want) !!!

@Daté – just to understand that right:

1. You duplicated all InDesign files assembled in a specific InDesign book file to a new loaction

2. You then copy/paste the book file to the new location

And the duplicated book file links the InDesign files duplicated to the new location?

Just tested with InDesign CS5.5 on Mac OSX 10.6.8. Not working.

Ok. You said to copy/paste the whole folder. But that does not working here. Neither duplicating the folder.

So I have to ask: how did you do it exactly?
          What exact version of InDesign on what exact version of Mac OSX?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Copies of Indesign books works different on MAC and PC ?
            Daté TETEGAN Level 1

Hi Uwe,

Let me give you more details :

I'm working on MAC OS X 10.9, Indesign CS6 and CC

Name of the original Folder : DOC_TECH

My Indesign Book  which is named BOOK_TECH.indb is stored in the original DOC_TECH folder :  /Users/UserName/Documents/DOC_TECH/BOOK_TECH.indb

The chapters of BOOK_TECH.indb (6 individual indesign indd files ) are saved in a subfolder MAIN_FILES within the original DOC-TECH folder

All individual indesign files have been imported in BOOK_TECH.indb, so they are linked to BOOK_TECH.indb acording to the location of the subfolder MAIN_FILES (that contains the individual indesign files) in the original folder DOC_TECH.

On my mac, i have made a copy of the orginal folder DOC_TECH (with all the content, subfolders and files) to create a new version renamed DOC_TECH2,

When i open the copy of BOOK_TECH.indb file (the new one) located in the DOC_TECH2 folder (the new one), for each individual indesign files in the book, Indesign recognizes automatically the path to the subfolder MAIN_FILES located in DOC_TECH2 (this is exactly what i want).

but on PC, it recognizes the path to the original  subfolder MAIN_FILES located in the original folder DOC_TECH folder (this is not what i want).

So my question is what's the difference betwen Mac and PC and how to fix it on PC ?

I hope it's more clear for you, and thank you for your help.

Daté

• 3. Re: Copies of Indesign books works different on MAC and PC ?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How are you determining that the copy of the book is using the new path and copied files?

• 4. Re: Copies of Indesign books works different on MAC and PC ?
                Daté TETEGAN Level 1

Hi Peter,

I  opened the two books in indesign to compare the paths of the files in the books.

I just simply move the mouse over the indesign file in the book panel to check the path that appears in the yellow tooltip.

For example :

for the original BOOK_TECH.indb, the path of the file Trims.indd in the DOC_TECH folder is : /Users/UserName/Documents/DOC_TECH/MAIN_FILES/Trims.indd

for the copy BOOK_TECH.indb, the path of the file Trims.indd in the DOC_TECH2 folder is : /Users/UserName/Documents/DOC_TECH2/MAIN_FILES/Trims.indd

Another way to be sure of what i'm saying here is to open the file trims.indd in the original book and the same file in the copy. You will get 2 different files opened in Indesign with the same name of course.

I also try with a Mac book pro running MAC OS X 10.6.5, but it doesn't work (you will get the link to the original one). It seems to work or not, depending the OS

i'm curious to know why it is working on MacOS x 10.9 and not 10.6 and windows. Maybe there is a way to fix it with the OS settings ?

If you have the right answer, just let me know, because it could help a lot of people.

Thanks a lot.

Daté

• 5. Re: Copies of Indesign books works different on MAC and PC ?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't have any idea why it is working, and as far as I know unless you used the package commnad to copy and move the folder it shouldn't be.

• 6. Re: Copies of Indesign books works different on MAC and PC ?
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Daté – thank you for the details. Just tested your method here on OSX 10.6.8. No surprise: It did not work. No chance to test it on OSX 10.9…

Is this a "positive" bug, maybe?

A feature?

Well, I have to live with that. In fact I'm already accustomed to this behaviour ;-)

And until I do know how to do it more elegant, I'm duplicating  InDesign book files and their assets (inclusively relinking) with a custom script Martin Fischer once wrote that can be downloaded from www.hilfdirselbst.ch, if you chose to become a Premium Member there…

Uwe