1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 3:02 AM by areohbee

If I convert NEF  into DNG the photo looks different

Corina_PC

If I convert a NEF into a DNG, the DNG looks underexposed in comparison with the NEF. Why is this happening? I understood that it would be better to convert my photos into DNG because it is a universal RAW format but, it doesn't look anymore as I saw it on my camera.

• 1. Re: If I convert NEF  into DNG the photo looks different
          areohbee Level 5

Corina_PC wrote:

Why is this happening?

Because the preview (jpeg, embedded) in the DNG is a re-rendering based on Adobe defaults. It's not the same embedded preview that came in your NEF (which was created, initially anyway, in the camera).

To better understand, it helps to know how the story unfolds from the beginning:

When you press the shutter release, the camera takes the raw image data from the sensor, folds in the camera settings, crunches it through the Nikon image processing "engine", and compresses the result into a jpeg, which it subsequently stores (along with the raw data) in the raw NEF file, and shows you on the back of the camera, etc.

When you convert to DNG, Lightroom does something similar: it takes the raw image data from the raw file, ignores most of the camera settings (except, for example, white balance), crunches it through the Adobe image processing "engine", and compresses the result into a jpeg, which it subsequently stores in the raw DNG file, and shows you via OS codecs or in ACR, or Lr...

So, bottom line, you are just seeing the difference between current renderings of Nikon vs. Adobe. If you edit the NEF in NX2, the preview will be updated when you save the NEF. If you edit the DNG in ACR or Lr, you can also update the preview to reflect the current edits.

etc...

Hope this helps,

Rob.