5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 7:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Windows 8.1 Problem , Premiere Elements 11

Debbie Az

Since I installed windows 8.1, I have had a problem with playing back clips from the timeline. It keeps stopping after a very short while and I have to push play again. This is happenning with clips that played perfectly under windows 7 and they work fine if I put tham on a DVD, for example. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• 1. Re: Windows 8.1 Problem , Premiere Elements 11
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video from and what format and resolution is it?

What are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple? Have you ensured you have all of the Windows and Microsoft Updates?

How much RAM do you have? Have you gone to the Task Manager to ensure that other programs are not running in the background?

In Expert View, is there a yellow line above the video on your timeline?

• 2. Re: Windows 8.1 Problem , Premiere Elements 11
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-IN Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 3. Re: Windows 8.1 Problem , Premiere Elements 11
              Debbie Az Level 1

Thanks for the things to check. Just had time to start checking them now.  Have started with the driver questions. Not sure how type of camcorder, format, etc. coyuld be involved, since that has not changed and the only change here is going from windows 7 to windows 8.1. Anyway, I checked Quicktime and it is the latest. Windows/Microsoft is up to date. Graphics is AMD and though I updated it after I updated windows, I just went to check and am trying to install what looks like an even newer driver.

And in expert view, there is a yellow line throught the video and through the audio in timeline.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Windows 8.1 Problem , Premiere Elements 11
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The yellow line indicates a mismatch between project settings and video specs.

But we can't give you any specific help until you answer our questions and we know what we're dealing with.

• 5. Re: Windows 8.1 Problem , Premiere Elements 11
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Debbie AZ,

When you say:

And in expert view, there is a yellow line throught the video and through the audio in timeline.

There are two places in the Timeline, where one can see a yellow, or yellowish-orange line. One is ABOVE the Clips, and the other is IN the Clips. The former (Above) indicates the mis-match between the footage and the latter (In) is the "rubberband" to show any Keyframing of an Effect, such as Opacity in Video, or Volume in Audio. This shows the difference:

Orange_Lines.png

Until recently, Adobe used a RED line above the Clips to signify a mis-match, but decided to change that to a yellowish-orange line, very similar in color to the rubberbands. Not sure what they were thinking, as it can easily cause confusion for the users and for us in the forum. But, things are, what they are.

Good luck,

Hunt