4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 12:34 AM by Doc Maik

No text wrap for tables

Doc Maik Level 4

I just want to be sure I didn't overlook something. I've placed an object on top of a table, which contains text. Then I activated text wrap for the object, but the text in table is not wrapped.

Both, object and table are on the same layer and option "text wrap only affects lower layers" (or similar) is turned off.

Can you confirm this bug resp. missing feature?

• 1. Re: No text wrap for tables
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I believe what you are seeing is the intended function. Text in a table cell is "protected," however, the table itself can be made to wrap, (or more accurately, break at rows), if you apply the Jump Object or Jump to Next Column wrap settings to your object.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: No text wrap for tables
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you confirm this bug resp. missing feature?

This is a missing feature.

There is a workaround, but that would include anchored objects with text wrap inside every  cell of the table to building a "wrap area" where the original wrap should apply.

And an extra paragraph for the anchored object per cell (plus maybe formatting the following paragraph(s) of the cell with a baseline shift):

What should work, but doesn't:

TableNotAffectedByWrap.png

What does work, but is very hard to set up and very, very unflexible:

TableCellWithWrap.png

Uwe

• 3. Re: No text wrap for tables
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or instead of table cells you could build your table out of single (multicolumn ??[EDIT]) text frames.

Hm, also this workaround would be hard to handle when it comes to flexibility…

TextFramesInsteadOfCells.png

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

• 4. Re: No text wrap for tables
                Doc Maik Level 4

Thanks! Good idea. I will keep that in mind in case I got no other choice when layouting something.