6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 8:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Help with settings in Elements 9 for a Sony DCR-DVD703E

LASuss

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD703E and at long last am about to edit together several disks using Elements 9. This is my first time using Elements despite having it for several years!  However, it is not clear to me when I start establishing the settings for the project which settings I should chose from the long list that are available. I know the frame width to be 720 and height 576 recorded at 25 frames per second (and PAL of course being in the UK). Can anyone point me to the correct choice of settings in the Settings Box? All help much appreciated. Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Help with settings in Elements 9 for a Sony DCR-DVD703E
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yours is a DVD camcorder. Be sure to finalize your disc before you load it into Premiere Elements.

Start a Premiere Elements project and select the Project Settings for a PAL Hard Disk Camcorder.

Then load your finalized disc into your computer's hard drive and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From PC DVD or DVD Camcorder to get the video from the disc to your computer.

• 2. Re: Help with settings in Elements 9 for a Sony DCR-DVD703E
            LASuss Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for a very swift reply.  Which I understand!  Using this I have now opened the project and all is well. Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Help with settings in Elements 9 for a Sony DCR-DVD703E
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

The important matter is that LASuss is reporting all is well.

But, I must ask you and question that use of your choice of project preset in this instance

PAL Hard Disk Camcorder

PAL

Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders

Standard or Widescreen

is going to reverse the field order.

That class of project presets targets field order and is not a must have for anything camera that comes classed Hard Drive or Flash Memory Camcorder.

I would use the PAL DV Standard or Widescreen and Not PAL Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorder Standard or Widescreen.

The topper is that the Sony cited is not even a Hard Disk Flash Memory camcorder. Its media are DVD discs.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Help with settings in Elements 9 for a Sony DCR-DVD703E
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The video from DVD cams is upper field first, ATR. That would mean that the best preset is one that automatically reverses this field order. (DV does not.)

This is not an issue with versions 11 and 12, but in older versions of the program it was vital to choose this preset in order to avoid interlacing conflicts.

• 6. Re: Help with settings in Elements 9 for a Sony DCR-DVD703E
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve Grisetti

Thanks for the reply.

I do not have one of these DVD cams, but I would expect that it would be generating the typical DVD-VIDEO structure which includes Field Order Lower Field First, not Upper Field First. "Typical" in that is what is to be expected of DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc produced by Premiere Elements.

If the video from DVD cams (DVD-VIDEO finalized) is Upper Field First, then I would agree with you on your choice of project preset here.

Although I do not have a DVD camcorder, I do have a DVD Recorder which records to DVD-VIDEO finalized on DVD disc. I never bothered to look at the Field Order of that end product. Guess what? Just ran off a recording and the Field Order for the video file VTS_01_1.VOB in the VIDEO_TS Folder is Upper Field First.

So, I am glad that I questioned you on this point.

Perhaps, the bottom line is to check out the properties of one's source media and set the project preset accordingly (I will leave it at that and not go into manual versus program determined project preset.)

Thanks again.

ATR