6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 9:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 12 photo size limits

AlwaysBroke

I just picked up Premier 12 and i am trying to create a slide show. Quite a few of the pictures i am trying to use gives me the message that the pic is to large, height/width. What are the max sizes that are usable? Is it a combination of MB and pixels?

Thank you

Ed

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 photo size limits
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As we often say on this forum (and I explain in my books) the largest photo you should use in Premiere Elements is 2000x1500 pixels in size (72 ppi). If your finished video is for DVD, you should go for even less -- 1000x750 pixels in size.

Oversized photos will not only cause problems and slow performance for the program but, in some cases, the program won't even accept them.

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 photo size limits
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ed,

On what computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 12 on?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos in question, that is, the width and height in pixels.

I can (does not necessarily mean I should) import jpg photos into Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit with pixel dimensions of at least 10000 x 7500 pixels. That is huge.

In earlier versions of Premiere Elements one could not exceed a total number of pixels in this regard. When you exceeded the limit, you received a message about the size being too large...16777216 pixels.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2769944

So, please go into more details on what is happening in your situation. It should not be.

The classical recommendation for photo size is not to exceed 1000 x 750 (SD) and about 2200 x 1238 (HD). But depending on computer resources and versions such as 11 and 12 on 64 bit systems, these guidelines can be stretched. Remember the highest dimensions will be reduced to the standard for the preset, typically 720 x 480/720 x 576 for DVD-VIDEO.

Hoping that your further details will clarify your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 photo size limits
              AlwaysBroke Level 1

Thanks for the answers. Some of the pics i am trying to use are from my D7100. They are 25 to 30MB and 6000 X 4000. 

The others are pics that were put thru a scanner.  Those came out as 1 to 2MB but 8000 x 6000.  This supprised me.  I have some work ahead of me.

I am working on a slide show with a video to celebrate my dads life. I only have a week to do and i am selecting pics to use.  This will be put on both DVD and flash drives. The main showing will be on a large screen tv at the gathering.  So that is where i want the quality image.

I now realize that i am a little short on processor. Everything else is ok.  1.67 GHz processor, 2.5GB Ram, 32 bit, Windows 7 Professional on a solid state drive. Yes laptop is about 5+ years old.  The plan was to get a new laptop next year.  When i was experimenting with the program when i first loaded it, it did run a little slow but worked

If you think that i may have issues with this i will transfer program to my sisters laptop.

Thanks again

Ed   

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 photo size limits
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ed

Your computer resources are limiting you, 32 bit system and 2.5 GB RAM and photos 8000 x 6000 and 6000 x 4000 pixels are bad news. Is that 2.5 GB RAM installed or available?

If you can get your Premiere Elements 12 to Windows 7, 8, 8.1 64 bit with about 8 GB installed RAM, it would be great. If not, we will just have to go as far as we can with what you have.

Grossly oversized photos for the project which is standardized at 720 x 480 (DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc) and even Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray (1920 x 1080). The photo sizes that you have are going to kill the project in your quest for a higher quality end product.

I could go on and on with all sorts of technical considerations, but let us try this.

1. Batch crop and resize your photos to 1920 x 1080 16:9 with a free program such as IrfanView.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Right now those originals are 8000 x 6000 4:3 and 6000 x 4000 3:2.

2. Import them into Premiere Elements 12 project with the project preset of

NTSC

DSLR

1080p30

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

3. See how much you can add to the project before it crashes. Beforehand, optimized your computer. Direct the Scratch Disks to hard drive location with enough free hard drive space to accept them.

4. For export, look at Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with the preset of NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

If you can get Blu-ray equipment, try for Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray with the preset of H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby.

5. I do not know if you want to consider burning your photos to a CD as a JPEG CD. DVD players will play that back and higher resolutions could be tolerated...no bells and whistles. If you could find a player (maybe a Blu-ray DVD player) that played back JPEG on DVD that would be good.

6. Depends on what player you have, but you could export your Timeline described above in the suggested workflow to a file 1920 x 1080 that could be transferred to a USB Flash Drive for playback on a suitable TV player. But, you would need to check out the specifications on such a player to determine what format needs to be on the USB Flash drive...so looking for format support as well as USB Flash drive support. We can offer export setting for such a file once we have the player specifications.

Please review the above and then we can decide on what next.

Lots to think about.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 photo size limits
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

I would do a batch Scale of your Images. See this article for one method: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2119226#2119226

Though PrE 12 can handle larger Stills, than some previous versions, one would need a mega-workstation to handle more than a few.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 photo size limits
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ed

I am going to be calling it a day. I will be watching for your progress in the morning.

I forgot to ask you an important question. You mentioned video in your project. I got so carried away with the pixel dimensions of the photos.

What are the properties of that video that will be included in the project.

Video and Audio Compression

Frame size

Frame rate including Interlaced or Progressive

File extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

If you do not know the information, maybe we could get what we need from the brand/model/settings for the camera used to record the video.

When you get a chance, please let us know the computer resources your sister has on her laptop. With only a week to work in, we should get the plan in place and the mini test runs done as soon as possible.

ATR