9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 1:29 AM by Iain Robinson

CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!

Iain Robinson

Hi all

First of all - apologies for the long post. I had a problem earlier this year with one of our Macs not importing italic text into Indesign. Placing the same Word document into the same template file with the same fonts loaded, using the same settings on a different Mac (same OS and version of Indesign) worked as expected. This is the thread - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1155432. In the end I reinstalled the OS and the problem was fixed.

Now the problem is back but on the other Mac (the one that worked successfully before). I wouldn't bother posting again about the same problem but now I have more information that may be useful. Two things have come to light;

1. The Mac with the problem also has CS5.5 and CS6 installed. I have the same problem on CS5.5 but it works in CS6. Weird!
      2. I found that if I didn't load the fonts required for the job but just placed the Word file into CS5 the text imported with italics intact. If I then loaded the fonts everything fell into place and all was well. Weirder!

Something else which may be relevant - the font in question is Helvetica (would be, of course). I have cleaned all the caches, repaired permissions, exported the template out as IDML, offered a sacrifice to the Mac gods - all the usual stuff - but I can't get it to work. Was working fine up until a month or two ago but no longer. Can't think of anything that changed on the Mac, except for the installation of Quark 9. NB The Word file imports okay into Quark.

thanks,

Iain

PS Before someone suggests moving over to CS6 - we have other parts of the workflow that need CS5 at the moment so moving this job over is not on the cards for the time being.

• 1. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is there a font manager in the mix someplace?

• 2. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!
            Iain Robinson Level 1

Hi Peter. No - no font manager. We load the fonts for each job manually - into the HD>Users>user>Library>Fonts folder.

• 4. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Iain – I observed problems like that with my installation of InDesign CS5.5 on MAc OSX 10.6.8. Older installs of InDesign are also present: CS3, CS4 and CS5.

Maybe my workflow was a bit different from yours

I found out that the malfunctioning doc files (no italics present after import) were not originated in MS Word, but were saved out of Acrobat Pro.

To work around that problem, I opened the doc files either in MS Word and had to save them as  NEW documents (different names) to place them (sometimes that worked) or had to open the doc files in TextEdit app and copy/paste the text to InDesign.

Uwe

• 5. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!
                Iain Robinson Level 1

Thanks for your reply Uwe. The Word files in question (.docx) had already been resaved by us (Save As). Also, as a test I created a new one from scratch in Word - some sample text (including italics) in Helvetica and Times. When imported into Indesign CS5 the Times retained its italics but not Helvetica.

As a test I opened the Word file in TextEdit - I could see the italics were there but when I copied and pasted it into ID they disappeared, also I lost all the Word styles, which we need.

I think it is to do with Helvetica. When I load the fonts the Mac always complains that there's a conflict with the system Helvetica - we ignore this as we can see in Font Book that our font, not the system one, is being used. I checked in all the various font folders the system looks at and we have the same fonts on the Mac that works as on the one that doesn't. Arghhh!

• 6. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!
                  Iain Robinson Level 1

Oh dear - if no one has any more ideas I guess I'll have to reinstall the OS. Trouble is if I don't know what's causing it it might happen again.

• 7. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!

As a test I opened the Word file in TextEdit - I could see the italics were there but when I copied and pasted it into ID they disappeared, also I lost all the Word styles, which we need.

@Iain – now that is interesting…
                    Similar but not exactly  my scenario with the doc files from Acrobat Pro.

As an alternative:

1. Can you open the docx in TextEdit, save it under a new name as RTF (or as doc or as docx) from there and place that in InDesign?

2. Save the docx in MS Word to a doc (the older format) and place it in InDesign?

Uwe

• 8. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!

Or just for this one part of your workflow:

place the docx in InDesign CS6, export to IDML and open that in CS5

Or maybe better, because more comfortable, place the docx in one text frame in CS6, export as IDMS (Snippet) and place that snippet in CS5. Overset text is no problem in that scenario. The IDMS file still contains all the formatted text when placed in CS5.

Uwe

• 9. Re: CS5 Mac: Weird italic text problem is back!
                        Iain Robinson Level 1

Thanks for your efforts Uwe. My findings;

1. If I open the docx file in TextEdit and save it out and import into Indesign;
                          • doc/docx - the italic survives but not the styles
                          • RTF - no italic or styles survived
                        2. Tried that already - doesn't keep the italics

Iain

PS Thanks also for the suggestions about using CS6 - that could certainly help us out. I was planning on importing the text in our other CS5 (that works), saving the ID doc and then working on that in the other CS5.