4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 1:36 PM by Kawika808

How can I fill gaps in timeline PrE12?

Kawika808 Level 1

I am at my wits' end.

I have a rather complicated project (instructional video) with native audio, sound track, Vid track with numerous short clips, freeze frames and color mattes, plus many titles of varying lengths.

I discovered that a couple of the titles were too short--so I made them longer (from 6 sec to 10 sec).

I then discovered that PrE12 had decided to cut the soundtrack, the native audio and the Vid track and slide everything to the right along the timeline, leaving 4 second black holes to correspond to the increased length of the titles I changed.  (I didn't see this when it was happening due to lack of vertical viewing area.

OK, fine, click on a black hole and hit backspace.  It worked.  Go on the the next one.  Nada.  Click the stubborn black hole again and hit Delete.  Nada.  Right click the black hole and do a Delete and Close Gap.  Grayed out.

OK, plan B: painstakingly select all the many clips to the right of the black hole in the Vid track, Group them, and slide left.  Being sure that they weren't Grouped or Linked to anything else.  (This was due to the one gap successfully being closed in the Vid track only, thus leaving an imbalance among the tracks--the Vid track with one less black hole than all the others.

Result: everything on every other track slides all the way to the right, past the end of the Vid track.

So now I have an unbroken Vid track and all the other tracks in two pieces separated by a huge gap.

Undo.  Try adding a blank track in between.  Same result.  Try Un-enabling all the stuff I don't want to affect.  Same result.

So here I am with a total mess.  I can of course use History to get back to the status quo ante but that doesn't solve the problem of how to increase the duration of a couple of clips (in this case Titles, but the problem is there no matter what track or type of media I'm working with) without everything else moving around.

I can't believe that a program could be this poorly designed; there has to be a way to do this.  "This" being the addition of a bit of duration to a couple of clips without trashing all the other tracks.

All ideas gratefully accepted.

• 1. Re: How can I fill gaps in timeline PrE12?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm a little confused.  Could you post screen shots to better describe the problem?

• 2. Re: How can I fill gaps in timeline PrE12?
            Kawika808 Level 1

How do I do that?  Don't see any option for it.

Thanks. Never mind--I'll try the camera icon.

1. Timeline after adding items--sound track is chopped up.  Other tracks will be chopped up as well.  Sound track is not grouped with or linked to anything else.

APE12 CUT-UP SOUNDTRACK ISSUE A JPEG.jpg

2. Slide sound track clip to left to fill the gap--this pushes everything else all the way to the right.  (Scale is reduced to enable effect to be seen.)

APE12 CUT-UP SOUNDTRACK ISSUE B JPEG.jpg

The same thing happens, as described above, with titles--make them longer, gaps appear in the other tracks.  Slide a clip to the left to close the gap, everything else jumps all the way to the right.

Insanity-producing.

Message was edited by: Kawika808 - added screenshots.

• 3. Re: How can I fill gaps in timeline PrE12?
              nealeh Level 5

Hold down Ctrl while sliding clips around.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: How can I fill gaps in timeline PrE12?
                Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, I'll try it.

But this still leaves the main problem: gaps created in multiple tracks every time I increase the duration of a title or other clip, insert a freeze frame, etc.

Ctrl (or Alt) does not seem to be an option in these cases.