9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 4:37 PM by A.T. Romano

PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files

wgault Level 1

After successfully editing several projects on PE 9, it all of a sudden won't open up its own PE ,prel files from the same external hard drive I've been using all along.  I checked the connections and restarted the computer a couple of times.   Same result.  Still pictures in the project appear in the playback, but not video/audio.  I can access everything else on theError message reads something like, "codec not installed for this content."  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

For the "CODEC" error, it appears that the necessary CODEC for the media files, is no longer installed on your system.

What are the full specs. of those media files? If you need help finding that info, G-Spot, or MediaInfo should be able to get it for you.

Knowing the exact CODEC needed, will then allow someone to point you to it, to download and install it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for editing to/from external HDD's, this article might be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5880839#5880839

• 2. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
            wgault Level 1

Thanks alot Bill!  Will look into this.

Wendell

• 3. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

wgault

Could your provide more details?

a. Although you have checked all connections, have you verified that the drive letter of the external hard drive has not changed for some unexplained reason? Is the external hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32?

b. I understand the part "Still pictures in the project appear in the playback, but not video/audio".

c. Where I need more information on is the part where you wrote

"I can access everything else on theError message reads something like, "codec not installed for this content.""

Where are you seeing this "codec not installed for this content"...when you are using the "Where is the file....?" message or somewhere else.

d. What is the exact error message...is the an "...............or codec not installed for this content"? If so, what is the other half of the error message?

e. When you are getting the "codec not installed for this content", where are the missing video/audio...same external hard drive location or missing from their hard drive save location?

Please review and then we can plan troubleshooting strategy based on your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
                wgault Level 1

First of all, thank you A.T. Romano, for trying to help me out.   Secondly, I do notice that the drive letter of the external hard drive where I store video projects has changed from "J" to "K."   Earlier I'd connected a second external drive to retrieve a document from it.  The second drive is disconnected, but the main video drive is still reading "K."    I don't know why that is, but imagine it could be the source of the problem.

Moving on to inquiries c and d.   I'll try to open up the project as usual, clicking one of the recently worked on project names that pop up.  Then I get the window with "Where is file ...?  In the same window are possible choices of folders and PE purple project icons below.  I click on the one that corresponds to the project and then I get the error message: "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed."

Inquiry e. I always save these video projects to the same external hard drive, which always (until now) has appeared as drive "J."  Somehow all the files must be there.  Up until a few days ago -- the last time I opened Premiere Elements -- everythng worked fine.   Intuition tells me that the solution to this is something embarrassingly simple -- but if you don't know, then you don't know!

Thanks again.

Wendell

• 5. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Wendell,

That is how Windows works. It will assign the next drive letter to a peripheral, when plugged-in and turned on.

Back in Reply #1, I added a link to an article on using external HDD's for editing. It gives instructions on what one has to do, to be certain that Windows assigns the same drive letter to that external, regardless of what else might get plugged in, and in which order. Until you set the drive letter, in the OS, for that particular external, you are playing a lottery - Windows might assign the same drive letter, or, depending on what else gets plugged in, it might not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Wendell

Thanks for the reply and additional information.

Have you switched the external hard drive letter from K back to J. I think that should be your first step which may get Premiere Elements back in focus regarding the media imported into its project. If you have made any additional changes in the media location besides the drive situation, matters may be further complicated.

A just in case note...

Right click Computer

Select Manage

Then Select Disk Management

(Give it a few seconds to populate the area with data)

Then locate your drive (which should be designated K), right click it, and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Change the drive letter from K to J. Most of my removable drives stay plugged in so I do not run into this situation often. When problem does occur, this technique takes care of things for a long while.

If in all this J was assigned to something else when the switch was made from J to K, stop and let me know and I will advise you how to proceed to get your external hard drive from K to J.

These drive letters do change from time to time, especially if you are using a USB hub and you have some plug and plays that you use from time to time.

Let us see if the drive letter correction solves most if not all of the issues.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
                      wgault Level 1

Hello ATR, Again my heartfelt thanks for your diagnosis and advice, which turned out to be right on the money.   I changed the drive letter and the missing file problem with Premiere Elements evaporated.  I guessed it was a relatively minor problem, but didn't know what it could be. Before this I had no idea that involuntary drive letter changes could even occur.  A little bit of knowledge goes a long way, because I actually spent over an hour with some guy at Adobe support trying to fix this.  He obviously didn't know enough to ask the questions you did, and so it was like chasing our tails for nothing!  I've often found this to be the case with company support personnel.  They tend to overlook some of the simplest possible causes for the problem. I'm so grateful that I feel I owe you a drink or something.  If you're in the greater New York City area and would like to take me up on it, let me know and we'll meet up one day.   There was one other guy in that forum who responded correctly, albeit with less detailed instructions. best regards and happy holidays!Wendell

• 8. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
                        wgault Level 1

Hello Bill, Again my heartfelt thanks for your diagnosis and advice, which turned out to be right on the money.   I changed the drive letter and the missing file problem with Premiere Elements evaporated.  I guessed it was a relatively minor problem, but didn't know what it could be. Before this I had no idea that involuntary drive letter changes could even occur.  A little bit of knowledge goes a long way, because I actually spent over an hour with some guy at Adobe support trying to fix this.  He obviously didn't know enough to ask the questions you did, and so it was like chasing our tails for nothing!  I've often found this to be the case with company support personnel.  They tend to overlook some of the simplest possible causes for the problem. In any case, thanks for your time and happy holidays! Best regards,Wendell

• 9. Re: PE 9 fails to open PE .prel files
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

wgault

Thanks for the wonderful news of your success. Good job.

We will be toasting your success across the miles and wishing you Happy Holidays and all the best in the new year and always.

ATR