35 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 9:50 AM by Greg Baber

QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

wangsack Level 1

After upgrading to AE 12.2, I noticed an error popping up while working on the next video of a series (which had not had any problems before, even using the same footage). I was getting "Error (4) reading frame from file..." errors, immediately followed by a "Keylight out of memory (4) (25::241)" error. I got both errors twice before I could move the playhead again.

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 3.22.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 3.23.04 PM.png

I tried opening other projects that had been workin fine on 12.1, both from the same seriesbut previous episodes and also other projects using footage from the same camera with and without Keylight and encountered the error again. removing Keylight did not solve the issue. After some forum searches (mostly turning up older issues revolving around the DVCProHD Output component), I was able to confirm through activity monitor that Adobe QT32 Server was not responding whenever the error popped up. I tried all of the support suggestions I could find regarding QT32 server (deleting prefereneces, removing the output component, etc.), with no change in errors. I had a coworker who had also updated to 12.2 try it out, and he also received the errors, just like I had. I opened the project on another coworker's computer with 12.1 and was able to work and output without issue (output both from the Render Queue and from AME were also failing).

Tech details:

Footage was DVCProHD .mxf's from an HVX200, shot on greenscreen and keyed with Keylight. Footage was originally editing in Premiere Pro CC (latest version) then dynamic linked to get the timeline into AE. All remaining work was completed and output from AE (this is how I have done this entire series). Footage is being pulled from a NAS over a gigabit connection. I'm on OS X 10.9, on a 2.7 GHz i5 iMac with 10GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB:

Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 3.43.58 PM.png

Let me know what other information you need. I had to downgrade to 12.1 so that I could finish this project (which resolved the issue), but my coworker's computer that was experiencing the same errors is still on 12.2, so I can look at troubleshooting on it if needed for testing.

• 1. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks, Aaron.

We'll look into this. I've forwarded this thread to a coworker who knows more about this area.

• 2. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
            LoudSigh Level 1

I'm battling with the same error.

iMac config as provided

iMac2011.png

• 3. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

LoudSigh wrote:

I'm battling with the same error.

Please specify which error you're receiving, as SnapshotAaron posted two different errors.

From both LoudSigh and SnapshotAaron, it would help if you posted more detail about the exact sequence of problems you are seeing, and what type of files (both format and codec) you are using in your project.

Although I'm not seeing a connection between Keylight, MXF files, and QT32 Server, since the topic was raised please give us more information:

1. Verify whether, at the time of the failures, the Adobe QT32 Server process is running or not (keep Activity Monitor open while you work).
              2. If QT32 Server is NOT running, get the most recent crash log for it.

Crash logs are located here*: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

And are named like this: Adobe QT32 Server_2014-01-08-225348_Computer-Name.crash

*The user Library folder is hidden by default on 10.7 and later: http://adobe.ly/1ghyMvG

Please post a link to the crash log so we can examine it.

• 4. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                LoudSigh Level 1

I'm not getting a crashdump or log,

Prior to open AE CC 12.2 there is no "Adobe QT32 Server" listed as a running process in Activity Monitor. As soon as I open AE CC 12.2 it gets listed, and is immediately not working properly as you can see from the screen shot I've added. It does not crash, it just sits there doing nothing, but failing to respond, so no diagnostic report is created.

AE CC seems to work, but rendering .mov files and opening them with QuickTime (RGB + Alpha uncompressed) do not open... they're in a permanent state of "converting". Also AE will not display them, nor does the rendering preview in AE show anything.

If I "Force Quit" the Adobe QT32 Server process it goes away quietly and generates nothing, and Quicktime seems able to open the files again. The renders seem fine too.

I never had this problem before 12.2. It's been introduced and it's getting in the way!

I posted in this thread because I think the problem is linked.2014-01-08_15-59-12.png

• 5. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

LoudSigh,

Did you move to Mac Os X v10.9 (Mavericks) recently? You say that you think that this problem was introduced by After Effects 12.2, but the problem that you're describing (with the forced conversion of the QuickTime Animation movies) sounds a lot like a problem introduced in Mavericks due to Apple's deprecation of and forced conversion of some codecs in Mavericks.

• 6. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                    LoudSigh Level 1

What part of it happens when I load After Effects did you not understand? This has nothing to do with conversion! I can clean boot my system and load AE and the Adobe QT32 Server gets listed in the processes and stops responding.

In an attempt to provide you more info about what happens after your process has already hanged, to help you understand the destruction it sows on my system you attempt to blame a symptom on your problem.

QuickTime functions perfectly well until Adibe QT32 misbehaves!

Fix your software. Don't blame Apple. Your users will just move to Nuke or something else if you don't.

• 7. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                      wangsack Level 1

Wow. . It's a frustrating issue, sure, but that seems a little unnecessarily harsh considering it seems like he's just trying to isolate the issue and make suggestions.

Todd and Tim: The sequence and codec details you asked for are in my initial post above. I'm working a tight deadline project tomorrow, but I'll get you those QT32 server log details as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for the help guys.

• 8. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                        LoudSigh Level 1

I guess sanity should prevail :-) Maybe it was a but harsh.

The process seems to be the reason for renders that should take hours taking days for a 4 1/2 min project. It is very frustrating trying to do things that have worked fine until 12.2. I didn't like that he blamed Apple. It seemed inappropriate, especially as I've been using Mavericks happily until 12.2. I even used the manual patch for AE right after the Mavericks launch without hassle. I didn't really need 12.2, but since CC bugged me to update I figured there would be no harm. Until this.

I am at my wits end. Only 50% of my CPU and RAM is used, I have a few TBs of disk space, I've turned multiprocessing off, tried the secret settings, disabled GPU, and also tried both AME and AE to render the Quicktime RGB + Alpha I need. Next step will be to try TIFF or DNx

• 9. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You mistake a question for troubleshooting clarification as blame.

• 10. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

SnapshotAaron, LoudSigh - Let's troubleshoot your QuickTime components, as that has worked to solve similar problems.

Quit After Effects and open the <drive root>/Library/QuickTime folder.

First, grab and post a screenshot of that for us, so we can see what all you've got.

Next, empty that folder. Drag all of the component files into a folder on your desktop or other safe place. On 10.8 and 10.9, you'll then need to delete the original files (and provide your administrator password).

Launch After Effects and test the problem. Does it still occur?

If not, the components weren't to blame. Put them back into the original folder.

If the problem goes away, then one of the QuickTime components is a factor in the problem.

To find out which component, put them back into the Library/QuickTime folder one at a time. Launch and test After Effects for the problem each time. When the problem recurs, remove the last component you added: this is the culprit. Let us know what that file is. Make sure to test all of the files individually; there may be more than one culprit.

• 11. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                              wangsack Level 1

Hey Guys,

Sorry I'm just now getting to this. I just moved to a brand new iMac, and am encountering this error again with 12.2. I've been monitoring Activity monitor, and it doesn't seem like QT32 is what is crashing, and there is no crash log for it. I removed all of the quicktime components and am still getting the error. What should I look at next?

Thanks!

• 12. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                wangsack Level 1

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm still getting the "Error (4)" on clips that don't have Keylight on them, and it still pops up twice (though without the keylight error).

• 13. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

Aaron, does this problem only happen with footage that is on your NAS?

Does the problem go away if you move the clips to a local drive?

What network protocol are you using to address the NAS?

• 14. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                    wangsack Level 1

I'll give that a go when I get past this current deadline and let you know the results. We're connecting to our QNAP through AFP.

• 15. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                      Gary_Ingle Level 1

Hey Tim, Todd and Aaron - Gary Ingle here. I work with Aaron.

I've been hitting the same issue for the past few days.  (I have the exact same computer setup as Aaron.) For what it's worth, if I move one of the .mxf files locally that is giving us trouble through the QNAP, the problem no longer presents itself.  Unfortunately that is not a practical work flow in our collaborative project environment, but maybe that will help you troubleshoot the root of the problem.

• 16. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

Thanks for the update, Gary.

I think I've got enough details to start some queries. Because this thread has rambled a little bit, can you please consolidate the problematic behavior?

- What action are you taking in After Effects when the problem occurs? (ex., open project, scrubbing timeline, or RAM preview is playing)

- What are the symptoms of the problem? (ex., an error message occurs; please provide the error text)

- How consistent is the problem?

- What version of After Effects and what version of Mac OS are you using?

• 17. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                          Gary_Ingle Level 1

Hey Tim,

Sorry for the delay.  Been pushing on some deadlines.

Here's an update:

I downgraded to AE 12.1.0.168 using the installer(s) you guys provided Aaron.  It did NOT fix the problem.  (see the first post from Aaron in this thread to see the exact error)

Since it did not fix the problem by downgrading, I decided to get back to the newest version because of the known scroll wheel/zoom issue that was present in 12.1.0.168. 

So I am now on 12.2.1.5.  The error no longer pops up, however, the videos hang on one frame.  (the video does not update).

This happens anytime the playhead is within certain (random?) mxf videos.  It simply does not update the video frame-by-frame.  It shows a single frame throughout the length of that video.

This problem persists through scrubbing in the timeline, RAM previews and also on output using the Render Queue.  It just renders a single frame (as if the clip has been time frozen)

Specifics on hardware (Aaron and I have both upgraded to newer iMacs since his first post)

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 10.40.13 AM.png

When trying to scrub through video, I get the spinning beach ball, and then it seems AE is just resigning itself to displaying a single frame for the whole length of the video from that point on.  For the clip I'm on, when I return to it (scrubbing elsewhere then scrubbing back to it) I don't get the spinning beach ball again,but just get the frozen video frame.

This process happens for each different video clip in the timeline.  (First time scrubbing on it I get the beach ball, then after the beach ball finally stops spinning I just get the frozen video frame)

HOWEVER, some clips play and scrub fine.  I can not seem to find the magic pattern that is causing it.

I should note also that all of these clips work fine in Premiere Pro CC.

Hope this helps!

• 18. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                            Gary_Ingle Level 1

...and of course, as soon as I posted all that info, I continued to try and work, ignoring the freezing video for now.

The error is now back.

This happens while working in the timeline, and the playhead is within an .mxf video.  The cursor (arrow) went to a spinning beach ball then the error popped up.

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 11.13.58 AM.png

• 19. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                              Gary_Ingle Level 1

Another update:  I've tried on two different iMacs, both exhibiting the same behaviour. 

This afternoon, it all appeared to be working ok, so I sent the project to the render queue (via media encoder this time).

When I watched the rendered file, those problematic clips (within the final output movie file) were showing strange behaviour.  Some of them played back at 2x or 3x speed, while others just stayed on a single frame.

Just trying to feed you as much info as I can as I run across it.

• 20. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

Thanks for the updates, Gary. I've asked our developers to look at the problem.

What version of Premiere Pro CC are you using? (7.2.1 is the current version.)

Are all of these MXF files DVCProHD, as per Aaron's original post? Which flavor of DVCProHD?

Does the problem still disappear if the files are local, instead of on the NAS? If so, I'd like to suggest a workaround: when you're ready to render, collect the project to a local drive first, then render. That will at least get you around the problem while we investigate.

Do you have multiprocessing enabled in After Effects? If so, try disabling it. I don't actually think this will help, as you've reported that rendering via AME (which doens't use multiprocessing for After Effects comps) also fails. But it's worth comparing the behavior without it enabled.

• 21. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                  Gary_Ingle Level 1

Thanks Tim.

For Premiere Pro CC I'm on 7.2.1

All of the files I'm having trouble with are DVCProHD.  The vast majority of them are 1080p 29.97 coming off an HVX from P2.

Yes the problem disappears if the files are local.  We are going to try collecting the entire project to an external drive for local use for now.

I do have multiprocessing enabled, but I've tried it with and without.  I've also tried with and without hardware accelaration of the viewport, etc. (in prefs)

Thanks again for looking into this.

• 22. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

Gary, the devs are curious about your NAS. You said it was a QNAP model being addressed via AFP. Can you be more specific about the hardware and connection? Does it require drivers? What file system/mode are the disks in?

• 23. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                      wangsack Level 1

Hey guys,

This is from our IT consultant who set it up for us:

The QNAP is a TS-879 Pro and does not require drivers.  It is on a Linux file system.  The drives are formatted in EXT4 mode.  It is being accessed by AFP.  You can also access it by SMB, if that’s necessary, but the transfer rate won’t be as fast.

Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

(edited by: SnapshotAaron to add model)

• 24. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

On that topic: does the problem go away if you access the NAS via SMB?

• 25. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                          Gary_Ingle Level 1

Tim,

We have not had a chance to test that.  However, there is a new development.  I am now getting the same issues even though the video files have been moved to an external drive.

I double checked using "Reveal in finder"

No error pop-ups yet, but the video freezes, only showing one frame.  This is how the other errors were starting before.

• 26. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                            Gary_Ingle Level 1

Restarted AE, now I DO get the pop-up window with the error.  (same error as before)

• 27. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update

Gary + Aaron,

I've been able to reproduce the problem. It seems more likely to occur when the MXF files are on the file server, but still occasionally happens when I copy them to my local drive. I get both the error messages and files that freeze on a single frame. It's very random: if I restart AE and import the same set of files again, different files fail than the last session.

Afraid that I don't have a workaround. I don't reproduce the problem in After Effects CS6 or CC (12.1). You said you tried CC (12.1) and had the issue, so you may want to try regressing all the way back to After Effects CC (12.0 with the 12.0.1 patch for Mavericks support).

The bug is filed and I've asked the devs to investigate further. I'll let you know what they discover.

1 person found this helpful
                                                              • 28. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                Gary_Ingle Level 1

Thanks Tim.  I've downloaded the 12.0.1 patch so I will have that ready to go, but how would I go about regressing to 12.0?

• 29. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                  DarrenG Level 1

Same problem here. I'm reading AVC-Intra 100 MXFs from a local RAID when I get the problem. Running AE 12.2.1.5 on OS X 10.8.5. Render runs fine in CS6.

Would also be interested in how to regress.

• 30. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                    Gary_Ingle Level 1

Please disregard that question.  We already have that 12.0 installer. 

• 31. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                      wangsack Level 1

Hey Tim and Todd,

I saw the annoucement on the new updates coming for AE in the next few months. Great stuff, by the way! I took a look at the blog posts, but didn't see a detailed list of bug fixes (I could have just missed it). Are you able to tell me if this issue is addressed in the coming update? We'd love to be able to take advantage of the killer new features

Thanks again for all your help on this!

• 32. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It's too soon to list bug fixes for the next update.

• 33. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                          yotammon Level 1

hi gary i saw the long post

i had the same problem,tried everything and a few minuets ago ive delted  the ae folder from the app data im with windows this is the mac path

(Mac OS) [drive]/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/10.0

working now for a while with no problems

good luck

• 34. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                            jkbucks Level 1

Recently started having this problem on OSX 10.9.4, went ahead and deleted just my AVID codecs, because I had installed them most recently. Works like a charm. I do need to use those codecs for certain projects, though. So some fix from Apple/Adobe would be great.

• 35. Re: QT32 Server Crashing with 12.2 Update
                                                                              Greg Baber Adobe Employee

I would contact Avid as well.  There may be an updated version of the codecs that will help.