5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2007 7:33 AM by Newsgroup_User

My Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks MX 2004 instead of Fireworks 8

Level 7
      I'm very new to this stuff but, my Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks
      MX 2004 instead of Fireworks 8 and gives me an "Unable to launch" dialog
      box. I suspect that this is just a simple setting somewhere, but I don't
      know where to look. I have the whole Macromedia Studio 8 installed and I can
      launch Fireworks 8 separately, but I'd like things to work together as they
      should. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. - Ken

• 1. Re: My Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks MX 2004 instead of   Fireworks 8
          Level 7
          Ken Davis wrote:
          > I'm very new to this stuff but, my Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks
          > MX 2004 instead of Fireworks 8 and gives me an "Unable to launch" dialog
          > box. I suspect that this is just a simple setting somewhere, but I don't
          > know where to look. I have the whole Macromedia Studio 8 installed and I can
          > launch Fireworks 8 separately, but I'd like things to work together as they
          > should. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. - Ken

Load Dreamweaver and then click on Edit > Preferences. In the Category
          column, select File types/Editors. Make sure PNG format is selected
          under Extensions. Delete any instances of Fireworks under 'External Code
          Editor, Fireworks, and Editors'. Close Dreamweaver and then reload it.

Once open again, click on Edit > Preferences. In the Category column,
          select File types/Editors. Make sure PNG format is selected under
          Extensions. Browse to the location of the Fireworks 8 exe file to add it
          to 'External Code Editor, Fireworks, and Editors". Close Dreamweaver and
          then reload it.

That should do it. Let us know how it works out.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: My Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks MX 2004 instead of Fireworks 8
            Level 7
            "Ken Davis" <kendavis@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
            news:fjbms4$bkr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > I'm very new to this stuff but, my Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks
            > MX 2004 instead of Fireworks 8 and gives me an "Unable to launch" dialog
            > box. I suspect that this is just a simple setting somewhere, but I don't
            > know where to look. I have the whole Macromedia Studio 8 installed and I
            > can launch Fireworks 8 separately, but I'd like things to work together as
            > they should. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. - Ken
            Further information...

I went into [Edit->Preferences->File Types/Editors] and changed the
            preference to: C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\Fireworks.exe. I then
            restarted Dreamweaver and it still tried to open the old Fireworks when I
            tested it again.

• 3. Re: My Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks MX 2004 instead of   Fireworks 8
              Level 7
              Ken Davis wrote:

> I went into [Edit->Preferences->File Types/Editors] and changed the
              > preference to: C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\Fireworks.exe. I then
              > restarted Dreamweaver and it still tried to open the old Fireworks when I
              > tested it again.

Please follow the instructions I posted, exactly.

--
              • 4. Re: My Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks MX 2004 instead of Fireworks 8
                Level 7
                "Linda Rathgeber" <lightly@sc.rr.com> wrote in message
                news:fjbnki$cc6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Ken Davis wrote:
                >> I'm very new to this stuff but, my Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch
                >> Fireworks MX 2004 instead of Fireworks 8 and gives me an "Unable to
                >> launch" dialog box. I suspect that this is just a simple setting
                >> somewhere, but I don't know where to look. I have the whole Macromedia
                >> Studio 8 installed and I can launch Fireworks 8 separately, but I'd like
                >> things to work together as they should. Thanks in advance for any help or
                >> advice. - Ken
                >
                > Load Dreamweaver and then click on Edit > Preferences. In the Category
                > column, select File types/Editors. Make sure PNG format is selected under
                > Extensions. Delete any instances of Fireworks under 'External Code Editor,
                > Fireworks, and Editors'. Close Dreamweaver and then reload it.
                >
                > Once open again, click on Edit > Preferences. In the Category column,
                > select File types/Editors. Make sure PNG format is selected under
                > Extensions. Browse to the location of the Fireworks 8 exe file to add it
                > to 'External Code Editor, Fireworks, and Editors". Close Dreamweaver and
                > then reload it.
                >
                > That should do it. Let us know how it works out.
                >

It took me a couple of tries to get it right, but it worked. Thanks! - Ken

• 5. Re: My Dreamweaver 8 tries to launch Fireworks MX 2004 instead of   Fireworks 8
                  Level 7
                  Ken Davis wrote:

> It took me a couple of tries to get it right, but it worked. Thanks! - Ken

That's excellent, Ken. :-)

--