6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 4:14 PM by SteveH59

If I wish to create a slideshow

SteveH59 Level 1

as PAL 16.9 25fps and 720x576 (to be burnt to DVD for widescreen TVs since they seem to be in fashion), would I size my imported still images also as 720px x 576px?

I can do that in Photoshop. Do I then leave the Pixel Aspect Ration as Square in Photoshop, which is what it shows when I have the still image open, or do I change it to D1/DV PAL Widescreen (1.42) as in the Photoshop screenshot?

Thanks

Pix_Asp_Ratio.jpg

• 1. Re: If I wish to create a slideshow
          A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

Here is my take on this.

Set for D1/DV PAL Widescreen (1.42) if you are going for a PAL DV Widescreen project and burn to PAL DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

720 x 576 with the 16:9 flag is the non square pixel version of 1024 x 576 square pixels.

I would expect when you size as suggested, Photoshop will present the space representative of D1/DV PAL Widescreen, and not the 720 x 576 square pixels space that would be represented by 720 x 576 square pixel set.

ATR

• 2. Re: If I wish to create a slideshow
            SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me, ATR

If I have understood you correctly, these settings then:

widescreen_question.jpg

And in Photoshop:

widescreen_question1.jpg

And this setting in Photoshop:

widescreen_question2.jpg

This makes the image looks a little elongated in Photoshop, but I will see what the final product looks like in Elements 11.

Thanks a lot.

Steve

• 3. Re: If I wish to create a slideshow
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

If you have a Premiere Elements project PAL DV Widescreen and you want to size a photo for such a project

Image Resize as represented would be appropriate for Pixel Dimensions 720 x 576. The Document Dimensions would be meaningless for this video project. However, you need to set the pixel aspect ratio, as you have, for the pixel aspect ratio for PAL DV Widescreen, that is, D1/DV PAL Widescreen (1.42).

However, I would ask what are the pixel dimensions of the original, in a 4:3 or 16:9 ratio? If you are going 16:9 to 16:9 fine. Or even 4:3 to 4:3. But, when you get into 4:3 to 16:9 or 16:9 to 4:3, cropping/resizing instead of just resizing may be needed to get the view that you want and avoid distortions.

The Image Resize is OK for one photo. Is that what you want to do, one at a time. Or, are you trying to do batch resizing?

How many photos are involved?

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: If I wish to create a slideshow
                SteveH59 Level 1

Hello again ATR

The original photo is 720 x 576 px and under PIxel Aspect Ratio in Photoshop in Square. The shape of the photos looks as it should be - no distortions.

However, if I change the Pixel Aspect Ratio to D1/DV PAL Widescreen 1.42 with the same width and height dimentions (720x576) to match my Elements 11 Presets, the image looks stretched (at least to me).it is too wide in Photoshop.

I don't need to use Widescreen. I could instead use PAL DV Standard. Or maybe I could use PAL DV Standard and then in my Export settings use Widescreen? On the other hand, when I save both images (the same photo) as image1 and image2 as JPEGS I can't see any difference between them!

I will need to work on each photo (about 30) individually?

• 5. Re: If I wish to create a slideshow
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

The Premiere Elements choice of PAL DV Widescreen is described with a frame size of 720 x 576, but there is a 16:9 flag that stretches that for display after encoding.

In this case, the 720 x 576 is the video situation is non square pixels, not square pixels. The square pixels counterpart of the non square pixel 720 x 576 is 1024 x 576 pixels.

So what to do when you tell me that you have a photo 720 x 576 and you want to import that into a Premiere Elements PAL DV Widescreen project (no black borders)?

Since you say that there will be only 30 photos and you intend to do any resizing one by one, think about this....

1. Create a new Premiere Elements project PAL DV Widescreen.

2. Turn off the Default Scale to Frame Size option in Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

3. Import your photos, and scale each to fit the space in the Edit Mode monitor.

4. Burn to disc DVD, PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

If you wanted PAL DVD-VIDEO Standard, please consider

1. Create a new Premiere Elements project PAL DV Standard

2. Leave Default Scale to Frame Size option in Edit Menu/Preferences/General

3. Import your photos.

4. Burn to disc DVD, PAL_Dolby DVD

I would not set up the project for PAL DV Standard and export PAL DV Widescreen. Explore and experiment with TV DVD player settings to get alternative viewing if any.

Please let me know if any of the about is a consideration for you and works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: If I wish to create a slideshow
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Many thanks for showing me those options. I will try both of them and see what turns out best. It will take me a day or two to work on the photos themselves - a couple of them are small and need resizing in Photoshop and several of them are vertical.

I will import them into the Timeline after going through the first Preset option and see how things work out, and then I will go through the second Preset option.

Quite a bit of work to do, hehehe!

Many thanks again, and I will post back with the results.

Best

Steve