6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 9:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Mass downloading after installation from a disk

Dave VO

I recently bought Premiere Elements 12 on a disk.  Installation went smoothly and the program seems to run just fine.  However, whenever I am running the program, a program that I have called BitMeter (a program that tracks Internet usage) show mass downloading.  I tried restarting the program and even rebooting the computer but still, every time i run the program, it starts to download.  It doesn't seem to be downloading anything, Premiere Elements doesn't say that it's downloading anything and the folder that it is installed into hasn't grown in size.  I left it downloading for a while and after 2GB it was still going.  Since I installed off of a disk i can't see any reason why it would need to download anything that large.  Is there any reason why Premiere Elements 12 would be downloading anything after installation from a disk?

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Mass downloading after installation from a disk
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave VO

Have you signed on for any customer participation with Adobe for your program?

I have never monitored my programs with this BitMeter program. Premiere Elements does require an Internet connection for certain features. What features of the program are you using that are obvious users of the Internet connection?

Is this program tracking Premiere Elements specifically? Could Microsoft Updates and such be part of what you are catching with this BitMeter program?

If you have any concerns about what Adobe is doing in the background with its products that are installed on your computer, I would contact Adobe directly.about the matter.

ATR

• 2. Re: Mass downloading after installation from a disk
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe's new "thing" is that not everything is included on some/most (all???) installed discs... so some parts ARE downloaded from the Internet

• 3. Re: Mass downloading after installation from a disk
              Dave VO Level 1

Thank you for the quick reply!  I have not signed up for any customer participation from Adobe.  I can't think of any extra features that I'm using that would use the Internet.  The BitMeter program gives me a live graph of upload and download activity.  When I watch the graph as I open Premiere Elements, the download spikes and stays at full download capacity, when I close the program, it stops.  I did this several times and it continued on this pattern, so I can tell that it is definitely not another program running in the background.

One thing that I have noticed is that according to Wikipedia, the program requires 4.5GB of hard drive space, and currently the program is only occupying 934MB of space.  Could it be trying to download that other 3.5GB?

Thanks,

Dave

• 4. Re: Mass downloading after installation from a disk
                Dave VO Level 1

I let it download for a while again, after 168MB it stopped!  I guess it is done.  Thanks again for the help.

Dave

• 5. Re: Mass downloading after installation from a disk
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave VO

I do not know if you got to Content in the program. Much of it has to be downloaded before use. But, it would appear that it is on demand and not downloaded until you demand it. The Online Folder that contains the downloadable content runs several GBs.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downloads.html

I am not sure what you might be picking up with your BitMeter program.

It would be interesting to hear Adobe's comment on this. We are not Adobe. Just Premiere Elements users trying to help other Premiere Elements users with their Premiere Elements workflows.

What you might try, wild guessing, open the Elements Organizer 12, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media Analysis and shut off all the AutoAnalyzer options and everything else under Media Analysis. Then observe what happens, if anything, to your program activity. Have you started using the Adobe Revel feature?

ATR

• 6. Re: Mass downloading after installation from a disk
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave VO

I just saw your latest post after I had posted mine.

Please let us know if BitMeter activity starts up again when you run Premiere Elements.

Thanks.

ATR