10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 5:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Creating multiple clips from one file

julianelliott

I have  been working off and on to transfer old VHS tapes to digital, and then use Premier Elements to create edited projects that my family would enjoy.  This forum has been extremely helpful with experienced advice.  Any perspective on my current question would be welcome.

I have begun to capture the video from analog VHS successfully, and am now capturing each VHS tape in its entirety in one continuous file, as recommended by some of you.  I am now trying to figure out the most efficient way to cut out and manage multiple scene clips from each large "master clip".  These shorter clips will then be edited as needed and inserted in my project timeline.

I'm sure this is straightforward, but I cannot seem to figure out from the documentation how to create individual scene clips, while retaining the original large clip in the media window.  As I'm going to have several tapes; each with multiple scene clips, creating and organizing becomes important.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Julian

• 1. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Julian

Please take a look at my blog post addressing Premiere Elements project assets organization.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organization-for.html

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have question about the blog content or need clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
            julianelliott Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for this.  Seems on target; I will chew on this over the holidays and report back.  FYI, I am using PE 10.  I assume there was no critical feature added to affect this procedure (which was written for PE 11)?

• 3. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Julian

Thanks for the reply.

Principles for the Media Organization scheme are the same for 11 and 10, except that there has been a dramatic change in the workspace in versions of the program later than 10.

1. You are going to bring you media into Project Media...do not drag them to the Timeline yet. Double click one of the video thumbnails there to bring up the Preview Window with those Set In and Set Out points.

2. Project Media comes in two views, list and icon (block like).

a. dragging trim from Preview Window to Timeline is same.

b. for subclips, dragging is from Preview Window to the Project Media area....if it is to list view, just drag in that direction to a clear space in list view...if to icon view, hold down Ctrl key as you drag the trim into icon view.

If any problems or question or need more clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Happy holidays.

Best wishes

AT

• 4. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
                Anne25

ATR,

I am also trying to separate and organize my old VHS movies into usable clips.  Your post was very helpful and I believe I have sucessfully created several clips or scenes in Premiere Elements.  Now I want to put them into the organizer so I can add tags and later find them to combine scenes from different movies into one project.  How do I save the scenes into the organizer?

I am using a trial version of PE 12 and want to know how to do this before I buy the software.

Thanks,

Anne

• 5. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Anne25

Thanks for the update.

Here are some ideas that I would suggest that you check out with regard to potential use in your Premiere Elements 12.

The subclips that you place in Project Assets are part of the project file (project.prel) and stay there either as thumbnails or thumbnails in a folder.

However, the trim that you take to the Timeline can be exported to a file saved to a folder on the computer hard drive.

Each time you save one of these files you have the opportunity to have it automatically copied to the Elements Organizer 12. You accomplish this through the concept of "Watch Folder".

Example: If you save to a folder in Library Documents Videos and have that location designated as a Watch Folder, that file will be displayed automatically in the Elements 12 Organizer. Couple of must dos...

a. Set up the Watch Folder feature in the Elements Organizer 12 File Menu/Watch Folder (if it is not already)

b. Do you have Photoshop Elements 12? See "a" and "c" first.

c. Make sure that you have a "Started" "Manual" for the following in Service

Adobe Active File Monitor 12

under Computer - Manage - Services and Applications - Services.

Please let me know if your need clarification on any of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
                    Anne25 Level 1

ATR,

I don't see options for file monitor or a watch folder.  I am running a trial version on a Mac.  Maybe that is why I don't have those options.  I know the photoshop elements automatically saves edited pictures in the organizer but I don't see where or if you can set that option.

Anne

• 7. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
                      julianelliott Level 1

AT,

Thanks for the help earlier inm December.  I have begun the transfer process, and have created a procedure for renaming clips and dropping into folders I created in the project media window.  All good so far but a couple of rookie questions:

1..I can't find a way to reorder clips in the project assets window. I would have assumed I could drag & drop to change arrangement of files in the window.  Am I missing something?  Not a killer issue, but would make cataloging easier.

2. Am I creating true folders recognized by the file system?  If so, where are they?

Julian

• 8. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Julian,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear from you.

Are you still in Premiere Elements 10?

You wrote:

1..I can't find a way to reorder clips in the project assets window. I would have assumed I could drag & drop to change arrangement of files in the window.

I have a "sneaky" way of reordering files in the Project Media area/List View of Premiere Elements 10 Windows.

Place the files in a folder that you create in Project Media. Then move the files in and out of the folder. On their way back into the folder, their positions will be determined by the order of return. Once ordered in the folder, if you do not want the folder, move the files out of the folder and delete/clear the folder. The files will retain the order that they were in immediately before you deleted the folder.

Best organize and sort your files into Albums in the Elements Organizer 10.

When you wrote,

2. Am I creating true folders recognized by the file system?  If so, where are they?

are you referring to the subclips that you are taking to the Project Media area? If so, they are Project Media only and trace back to the original whole video at its hard drive save location.

If you want these clips saved to the computer hard drive as the trim, then you need to export the copy that you have dragged to the Timeline and export to a file type.

I will explore and experiment with this some more, but these have been my observations on this.

Please let me know if I have targeted your questions and if any of this works for you.

Best wishes,

ATR

• 9. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
                          julianelliott Level 1

Spot on.  I actually just discovered your "sneaky" way to reorder files. Not as elegant as drag & drop, but it works.

Organizing subclips and "master file" in an Organizer Album will solve my organization problem. 

Working in a virtual world is a learning experience.  Thanks!

Julian

• 10. Re: Creating multiple clips from one file
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilian

Thanks for letting us know the results. Glad that worked for you.

How true, Premiere Elements is a continuing learning process for all, beginner, intermediate, and advanced user.

Best is yet to come.

ATR