5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 5:23 PM by animationlife

Re: Raw VS DNG

animationlife Level 1

Hello Everyone.

Shooting with my Canon 5D, I always shoot RAW, and I work with my Images Inside the Camera Raw, Also, I get One Shot from My Color-Checker Passport, and Inside Camera Raw I convert that Shot to a DNG Format, and I create a Camera Profile for that day of Shooting.That Is the only time I use a DNG File. But I noticed many people convert Their Raw Images Into DNG Fomat. What Is the benefit of this DNG.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Re: Raw VS DNG
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Google (RAW vs DNG) and read the various points people make. 

I personally do not convert my raws to DNG because I don’t want to preclude using non-Adobe software with my raw images.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Re: Raw VS DNG
            animationlife Level 1

Thanks ssprengel

• 3. Re: Raw VS DNG
              b2martin_a Level 2

If you use the DNG format the edits are saved inside the DNG file instead of external xmp files, which means you only have one file to manage.  I also do not use DNG because of non-Adobe software support. 

• 4. Re: Re: Raw VS DNG
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There isn't really a right or wrong approach to using DNG. Adobe touts DNG as an open format that more or less standardizes raw image data. They claim that it will assure compatibility in the future. But, as I see it, that only assures compatibility with Adobe software. Some other vendors are adopting DNG, but not all. And if you convert to DNG and don't save your original raw files it's possible to lose the ability to use some software. Most notably, I think, is the software provided by most camera manufacturers. This may not be an issue for you, it isn't for me. But I still prefer working with the original raw files from my camera. It provides the greatest flexibility, in my opinion.

• 5. Re: Re: Raw VS DNG
                  animationlife Level 1

I agree... I don't see any reason to convert my files to DNG, Format.. I am also very comfortable working with my Raw Images Inside Camera Raw.  The only DNG file I have, Is the last Raw Shot from my Color Checker that I convert to a DNG format, to use for a Profile for for my Camera Raw,from the day of shooting.

Thanks.