7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2013 6:25 AM by ColdForest RSS

Epson Claria Ink Replacement

ColdForest Community Member

Thought I'd check-in here to see if anyone had any recommendations/experience with Epson printer Claria ink replacement. I've done some looking into this and the practice (of going with OEM replacement cartridges/ink) seems fairly ubiquitous/common. I'm looking to replace the cartridges in one of my Artisan 1430 printers and the following after-market ink sites seems to have decent replacement kits for this printer [links removed by moderator]

Has anyone else done this? Anyone have any experience with the above vendors and their dye sets? Any issues I should be aware of before following through with this?

• 1. Re: Epson Claria Ink Replacement
          D Fosse Community Member

No experience, but you might take a look over on the Luminous Landscape forum, e.g. this thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=85032.0

• 2. Re: Epson Claria Ink Replacement

Thanks for the pointer 21. Although the thread was originally asking about pigment inks (Claria is dye-based) the underlying discussion raises some good points regarding the various tradeoffs of going with OEM refills vs manufacturer COTS cartridges. Hmmm, I can't dispute the fact that the cost tradeoff is mediocre over time, but the idea of refilling cartridges (for less $$ and to save on refuse) is appealing.

Is there anyone else out there that uses OEM (Claria replacement) ink and refills their Epson cartridges?

• 3. Re: Epson Claria Ink Replacement
              Dave Merchant CommunityMVP

The big drawback is in ICC profiling. Epson's inbuilt profiles (and third-party paper profiles for an Epson printer) all assume you're using Epson's ink, so the proofs will usually be out of whack when you're using off-brand cartridges or refills. I tried a bunch and typically the red/cyan tones were all over the place, so skies were... amusing. If you have a colorimeter you can always build your own custom profile for any combination of printer/ink/paper, but most people don't.

Personally I use off-brand inks on the old Stylus printer that whaps out stuff like invoices and it's never been a problem in terms of clogging up (though the ink levels on Epson's monitor utility are sometimes a little skittish). I'll buy whatever's cheapest, don't care. In the past I tried home refills, but it's a lot of faffing about and the unbranded cartridges aren't much more. I do have one of the little "chip resetter" tools so I can stop the thing wailing at me if Cyan's empty.

The printer I use for photos gets Claria ink, mostly so I know the soft proofs are accurate, but since everything that comes out of that tray is destined for sale, quality and reliability matter - someone asks for a reprint in 6 months, they expect identical colors. I could probably get the same results with off-brand ink if I calibrated everything and ran a bunch of tests, but it's not worth the hassle.

• 4. Re: Epson Claria Ink Replacement

Ah, yes, of course - I hadn't considered the ICC profiles! This definitely increases the hassle factor. I do have a Colorimeter, but have never had to create custom (printer) ICC profiles. What's involved in that? Depending on the effort vs. success curve I may still consider this (but the likelihood is dropping fast ).

BTW, I haven't checked, but I wonder whether the 3rd party ink replacement shops provide these profiles (either for the specific Epson papers I use or for other common/good independent papers)?

• 5. Re: Epson Claria Ink Replacement

Just wanted to report back that at least one vendor I saw provides ICC profiles with their ink (for various Red River papers).

• 6. Re: Epson Claria Ink Replacement
                    Dave Merchant CommunityMVP

Colorimeters are relatively simple to use, you print their special test sheet of colored patches and scan the device across them. Note that a screen calibrator is a different thing, some dual-purpose devices exist but in general a print profiler is more expensive as it has to include a calibrated light source as well as the detectors.

• 7. Re: Epson Claria Ink Replacement

Ah, thanks Dave, didn't know that.