11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 12:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?

Kawika808 Level 1

I have read ATR's excellent and detailed description of using Clipmate with various versions of PrE.  (Unfortunately it seems that in this area PrE went backwards, with PrE11 having more limited capability than some previous versions.)

My question is: what about PrE12?  I'm hoping that it will be back at least to the level described by ATR for PrE10.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Kawika808 - fix typo

• 1. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

Thanks for checking out the Clipmate blog post which detailed its use and performance in Premiere Elements 7 through 11.

That blog post was written before the release of version 12, and I have not yet gone back to see what is happening with Clipmate

and version 12. May do that today now that you mention it. Have you tried Clipmate with version 12 yet?

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

More later.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
            Kawika808 Level 1

Aloha, ATR,

No, I haven't tried it.  I guess my endurance for trying programs that don't deliver (or at least don't deliver in a given context) is weakening.  This is why, like all of us, I appreciate all that you have done to analyze in detail, and post findings.

I would love to be able to import the various project files (I have been working by creating each section in a different project) and unify them without resorting to exporting and then reimporting as one grand project, since in that case the timeline is pretty much set in stone.  Plus there will be some degree of degradation.

BTW, is there a practical limit (in terms of number of separate items/clips) for the length of a timeline in PrE12?  I've heard that some programs get very unstable if the timeline is too long and/or complex.  Not to mention verrrrrry long render times.  If there is an issue with a lot of items, then I might be better off exporting each section and reimporting for the final version; this would mean half a dozen long clips instead of many dozens of short ones (video, stills, slo-mo sections, titles, mattes, audio clips, etc.)

Message was edited by: Kawika808

• 3. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

I will give Clipmate and Premiere Elements 12 Windows a work out today.

In the past, I have found that the end step Edit Menu/Paste Insert can take a longer time to process (even become available) depending what is involved in the Copy/Paste Insert.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

You are the first to know...Clipmate does perform the same for Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Windows to the extent to which I have taken the exploration and experimentation as presented in my blog post on the subject. I went through the same protocol for 12 as I did for the other Premiere Elements versions cited.

As in 11, the version 12 transitions do not get pasted into the second project. Interestingly for 11 and 12, Clipmate does copy/paste insert within a given project, but not from project to project.

Excerpted from the blog post that applies to Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Windows

PREMIERE ELEMENTS 11

(It does not work if one is interested in transitions.)

• Video 1/Audio 1 content of first project pasted into Video 1/Audio 1 of the second project where all video and audio were found in place, but linked regardless of how they were in the original project.
                • Transition did not appear in second project.
                • Narration went to Audio 2 and Soundtrack went to Audio 3.
                • All audio could be heard at this point as well as after the save/close/reopen of this second project.

Important considerations:

a. The Edit Menu/Paste Insert last step takes patience and practice. There are often delays in the availability of Edit Menu/Paste Insert even if you have the Clipmate entry for the process propertyly highlighted in the Clipmate program. It does work, just give it time if necessary and use the tips in the blog post to get you through that last step.

If this copy/paste insert sounding applicable for your workflows, then I would download and install the free Clipmate tryout and determine if it works for you with all the variables that you have in mind which have not been incorporated into the blog post details.

This afternoon I tried a copy/paste insert of a 46 minute Timeline (NTSC DV Standard project) from project to project and it was a no go. That last step just would not open Edit Menu to get at the paste insert command. So, you will need to determine the limits for your specific situation.

Please refer back to blog post for any additional details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                  Kawika808 Level 1

That was quick! I really appreciate this information--even though it's good news/bad news.

As to the transitions: I assume this includes all the usual ones like Dissolve?  Did you happen to test fade in/fade out (video and audio)?

Also, any thoughts on the advisable maximum for the number of items in a timeline?  My full project will have hundreds if I string all the projects together.

I've had two crashes in the last hour, with only about 25-30% of the total final product in the Project I'm working on.  This may be an indication that exporting each project and re-importing into PE for a final version may be the safest.  Although the crashes seem related to adjustments (RGB and the like) on multiple clips.  Maybe a simple combining of the various projects into one wouldn't be such a strain on the program.

• 6. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

I just tried the Fade Shortcuts in a mini test run with this Clipmate copy/paste insert between two Premiere Elements 12 projects. Yes, these fades are present in the paste insert. My test included a fade in/out video for a photo and a fade in/out video and audio for an AVCHD.mov 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second video/audio.

As for maximum content for copy/paste insert, undetermined....but the 46 minute Timeline content copy/paste insert between two Premiere Elements 12 project failed...maybe an overkill? That represented a bunch of photos that I put on the Timeline of the first project as a mini test run. That last step, Edit Menu/paste insert is tricky enough with 1 to 5 minutes of content.

I have not tried all the Adobe transitions, just a representative sampling. So far they do not copy/paste insert between two Premiere Elements projects. Curtain is my typical demo transition. Others that I have checked out included Cross Dissolve, Travel, and Dip to Black.

The working on a large project in small segments does have its merits. But, do not get too overzealous in that approach and overload the grand project which will be used for the export.

Best Wishes,

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                      Kawika808 Level 1

Thanks, ATR.

I will stick with the multiple export and re-import plan.  My total video will end up at about 30 minutes or less.  The longest segment is about 15 minutes and I've had multiple crashes all morning while working on it.  (I had to start hitting Save every time I made any change.) 

The project is pretty straighforward: short video clips, interspersed with freeze frames, segments at different speeds, and flipped (horizontally) video; a few fades and dissolves; titles; no native audio, simple sound track.  A few edits in some areas to get a closer match, like RGB, contrast, some sharpening, a couple of up-sized clips (Scale) to match subject sizes in adjacent clips a bit better.

I'm surprised that PrE12 is this unstable--I can't image what a truly complex project would do to it.

Speaking of unstable, I will post a separate comment on a very strange bug.

• 8. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                        KirweeBrowns

A. T. Romano wrote

"As in 11, the version 12 transitions do not get pasted into the second project. Interestingly for 11 and 12, Clipmate does copy/paste insert within a given project, but not from project to project."

I believe there is a little trick which will allow pasting from one project to another with Clipmate.

The destination project must have some content  already.

Copy the section to be pasted to the destination project and "Edit capture special" etc. as descibed in

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-p e.html

Open the destination project, select something from the timeline - doesn't matter what, and do an Edit copy. (This is to make the Paste menu item non gray)

Go to the Clipmate application again, and highlight the line for the section copied from the source project. This may well be the second to top line.

Go back to Premier Elements and you can now Edit Paste the content copied from the source project.

Well, that seemed to work in my simple test.

Regards, Trevor

• 9. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Trevor

You wrote

I believe there is a little trick which will allow pasting from one project to another with Clipmate.

I suspect that you may have misunderstood what I wrote or not read the whole blog post. No trick, I have detailed in the blog post just how to do that step by step for Premiere Elements 11 and 12. It works as described.

When I wrote

"As in 11, the version 12 transitions do not get pasted into the second project. Interestingly for 11 and 12, Clipmate does copy/paste insert within a given project, but not from project to project."

Here I was talking exclusively about the transitions in the content going from project to project in the copy/paste insert, not the other components of the content.

Are you saying that what you are describing now copies/pastes insert from project to project which includes the entire content including transitions when Premiere Elements 11 or 12 is involved?

ATR

• 10. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                            KirweeBrowns Level 1

Thanks ATR. You are of course quite correct. I had read the whole blog, but, having taken "not from project to project" to mean copying between projects doesn't work, I failed to comprehend the clear and obvious advice on how to do it later! I should know by now not to jump to conclusions too early.

Regards, Trevor

• 11. Re: Does Clipmate work well with PrE12?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Trevor

I am glad that you posted, and I had the opportunity to clarify that point for you.

Please never hesitate to post if you have questions or need clarification on anything that I have written here or elsewhere. I will re-write and/or explain further as indicated.

Best wishes

ATR