4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 10:01 PM by LDRJERNEEDSHELP

help to open and run Flash Player

LDRJERNEEDSHELP

I use a 1 yr new Dell PC, Windows 7, Internet Exp 11.  Over the past year I have downloaded successfully 4x the Adobe Flash Player.  It downloads and saves fine in my program files.  It does not show up when I click on START, and show on that list. I can only find it if I do a search.  When I go to the Adobe site, it shows that I have installed Version newest and current version for Windows.  But I cannot get it to open or do anything.  I cannot tell you how frustrating this is.  I also checked with my McAfee and they insist that nothing they have on my computer is a problem and that I have to talk to Adobe (yeah right, just try and find a number!!!).  Can someone please help???????????

• 1. Re: help to open and run Flash Player
          Mike M Level 6

1. It WON'T show up in your Start menu because it's a "plugin" for another program and not  a program itself. You can find it in C/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash and C/Windows/SysWOW64/Macromed/Flash

2. In your Control Panel under System and Security, you'll find the Global Settings Manager - Flash Player (32bit). THAT won;t be there if it isn't installed.

IE 11 has had numerous problems with numerous sites, which Microsoft has been aware of since October 18 when they released their latest "untested" browser. There's something not right in the code. The pages can't recognize the browser, so they don't recognize any of the plugins, like Flash Player. So far, Microsoft has made NO indication that they have any plan to fix it soon.

Microsoft's recommendation is to use Compatibility View for affected pages, and "pretend" you're using an different browser. Trouble with that is it has seen limited success at best, and you have to individually enable it for EVERY page that has problems.

I'm not big on "pretending" so I recommend actually using another browser.

Firefox (from Mozilla)

Opera (from Opera)

Safari (from Apple)

Chrome (from Google)

ANY of those will work where IE11 won't, with the Flash Player Plug-in (For all other browsers), and Chrome doesn't even need that because it has its own Flash Player plugin built in.

• 2. Re: help to open and run Flash Player
            LDRJERNEEDSHELP Level 1

I do see Flash Player (32 bit) when I open Control Panel.  When I click open, and go to the Advanced tab, it has a box that says check now: that shows my version and next to plug-in version it says NOT INSTALLED.  Then I clickon the box that says check now, and it takes me to Adobes page, where it says INSTALLED! 

I understand there are problems with IE 11 and may have to consider changing, but really hate to do that.  Thanks very much for yur help!!!

• 3. Re: help to open and run Flash Player
              pwillener Level 8

You only need to plugin if you use other browsers such as Firefox, or PDF documents with rich media content.

• 4. Re: help to open and run Flash Player
                LDRJERNEEDSHELP Level 1

Mike, I had done what you said and at first it didn't work.  But then I thought I might need to restart my computer.  I did and it works great!!  THANKS so much.  You really saved me.  Happy Holidays!!!  LDRJERNEEDSHELP