9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2015 7:31 AM by A.T. Romano

Cant erase a preset in "My presets"

chucktheweevil Level 1

I have two or three presets I created that I would like to delete. when I open the box (In expert mode) , I get no response to right clicking,  There is no garabage can in the menu, and I cant access my presets in the Quick mode either to see if delete works there. Any idea?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

If you go to My Presets and left mouse click once the Effects Preset to be deleted (blue border around it), what happens when you hit the Delete key of the computer main keyboard? The Effects Preset selected should be deleted.

Please check it out and let us know the result.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
            chucktheweevil Level 1

Hi A.T, unfortunately that didn't work. The preset gets highlighted, but delete, or CMD delete from the keyboard doesn't work - and no right click menu either.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

I forgot your Premiere Elements is on a Mac computer.

No matter which Effects Preset that I create and save, I can go to fx Effects/My Presets/select one of the Effects Presets that I created, hit the computer keyboard delete key, and the Effects Preset is deleted permanently.

I will try to find an alternative route. I am strictly an Elements Windows user. If SG gets to your thread before I get back to it, he surely should know why the difference between us with these results. He works for Premiere Elements Mac.

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Chuck

Not sure if all the follow information is going to help since it is from an Elements Windows perspective. But, just in case, here is some background information when I create an Effects Preset in Premiere Elements 12 Windows.

1. The Effects Preset created shows up in fxEffects/My Presets/

2. If I highlight (select one) by left mouse clicking once the thumbnail of the Effects Preset, followed by hitting the Delete key of the computer keyboard, that specific Effects Preset that I selected is deleted.

3. Those Effect Presets that are created are not stored on the computer hard drive as separate entries. All the Effect Presets that I create go into a file named "Effects Presets and Custom Items.prfpset".  So I cannot use deletion of that hard drive file to get rid of a specific Effects Preset, but I can use its deletion to clear out all of the My Presets Folder Effects Preset Content.

4. If I ever decided to uninstall Premiere Elements, typically the user custom presets are lost. If I ran into that situation and I wanted to keep all my Effects Presets that I created, I would make a copy of the "Effects Presets and Custom Items.prfpset" file and save it to the computer desktop. Uninstall/Restall the program. Then, after reinstall, use the saved "Effects Presets and Custom Items.prfpset" file. Thus my user custom presets are preserved.

In Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path to this file is:

Loca Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the "Effects Presets and Custom Items.prefpset" file.

ATR

• 5. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2. does not work: no left mouse

4. no effects presets file.

• 6. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ann Bens

Please qualify your report as to computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 12

For Premiere Elements 12 Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit, the Effects Presets and Custom Items.prefpset does indeed exist. I have not looked for it on any other Windows operating systems. And, I do not have a Mac computer to confirm its existence there.

annbens.JPG

And, selection of the Effect Preset thumbnail in fxEffects My Presets (clicking left rather than any right click using mouse for that selection) followed by hitting the Delete key of the computer keyboard does delete the selected Effects Preset.

So, can I assume that you are reporting on the Mac counterpart for of this? If not and you are referring an event on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, please supply more details so that we may determine the difference between us.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
                      Doug_newuser Level 1

Chuck

Does your difficulty relate to an Effects preset, rather than a Share preset that is used when you produce an output.   From the way you have described the problem it sounds like it is and I had exactly the same difficulty.

Have you tried selecting the preset (by going into the my preset box and single clicking the preset you wish to delete).   Then either press Shift + Del or select "Delete" from the edit menu.   This worked for me.   Interestingly, subsequent deletes of presets only required use of the delete key.

ps - I have Premiere Elements 11 running on windows, hope this may be of some help.

• 8. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
                        KaBaMan Level 1

The same problem can appear in PE12 under Windows 8.1. The delete button has no effect.
                        But after using the edit menue / delete option the delete button works within "my presets". Mysterious.

• 9. Re: Cant erase a preset in "My presets"
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

KaBa

Premiere Elements 12/12.1

Just saw your post and revisited deleting of a saved effects preset in fx Effects/My Presets

Windows 7 64 bit desktop - Both Expert workspace Edit Menu/Delete and just hitting the computer keyboard Delete (auxiliary keyboard)

deleted the selected effects preset in My Presets.

Windows 8.1 64 bit - laptop - Both Expert workspace Edit Menu/Delete and just hitting the laptop's main keyboard Delete deleted the

selected effects preset in My Presets.

Please give it another look.

Thanks.

ATR