3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2015 8:45 PM by Chupo_cro

A *long* 3D text oribiting around an object?

Chupo_cro

There are many tutorials where we can see how to make a text orbiting some other object. Here is an example of the text rotating around the sphere. My question is - how to make exactly the same, but with the text longer than could fit on the circle around the object?

For an example, let's say we have the text: 'Marry Xmas and a happy New Year!' (or a much longer message). Because the whole text cannot fit on the circle, only a shorter substring can take place on the circle at some point in time:

Marry Xmas and a ha

arry Xmas and a hap

rry Xmas and a happ

ry Xmas and a happy

etc.

There would, of course, be a discontinuity in the text on the (continuous) circle - but it would be hidden behind the object.

I could imagine making a path in the shape of the ribbon long enough to hold the whole text, and the discontinued part of the ribbon hidden behind the object so it would look like the desired - but I wonder if there is a way to scroll such long text over the closed circular path.

• 1. Re: A *long* 3D text oribiting around an object?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sure. Simply use a text animator for opacity and animate it to match the path offset/ rotation. Pre-compose if and when necessary...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: A *long* 3D text oribiting around an object?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create a new comp the height of your text string and the same width as your main comp.

Add your long text string and don't worry that if may extend beyond the comp boundaries. Animate the position of the text layer so that it crosses the screen.

In a new composition import the text comp and apply CC Cylinder twice. Put the layer you want to obscure the text between the two instances of CC Cylinder and set one to render inside and one to render outside.

All Done. EZ as pie.

• 3. Re: A *long* 3D text oribiting around an object?
              Chupo_cro Level 1

Hi,

I guess it's never too late to say 'thank you' :-) Believe it or not, I still have this thread opened in one of my FF tabs all since then - as the reminder I have to reply!! :-) It is now exactly 2 years from when I got the answers so it is a pretty suitable moment to finally say:

Thank you to both of you for answering me - the answers helped me to make a nice Xmas card for the year 2014. :-)

And merry Xmas & a happy New Year!